Assad: Syrian Troops to Leave Lebanon "in a few months"

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
Tuesday, Mar. 01, 2005

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1032860,00.html

TIME: Can you tell me when you will you be out of Lebanon?

ASSAD: Out completely?

TIME: Yes.

ASSAD: Actually, our discussion should be with Terji Roed-Larsen, United Nations envoy, who is coming back in March. It [withdrawal] should be very soon and maybe in the next few months. Not after that. I can't give you a technical answer. The point is the next few months.

TIME: Could you give me a timetable?

ASSAD: It's a technical issue, not political. I could not say we could do it in two months because I have not had the meeting with the army people. They may say it will take six months. You need to prepare when you bring your army back to your country. You need to prepare where you will put the troops.

There are two factors. The first is security in Lebanon. The security in Lebanon is much better than before. They have an army, they have a state, they have institutions. The second thing, which is related to Syria, is that after withdrawing we have to protect our border. We need to talk about our borders, because when Israel invaded in 1982, they reached that point. It was very close to Damascus. So we will need [fortifications for the troops] along the border with Lebanon.
Ironically, I was led to this Time interview by Xinhua, the offical Chiness news agency. It is ironic because Time Magazine is routinely banned in China. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-03/02/content_2637765.htm

I'll believe it when I see it. However they may be doing it because they believe that the US will have cause to attack them soon and they want their guys home to protect them.

sounds like another waffle to me. I don't think the folks in the streets of Beirut are gonna pack up and call it "mission accomplished" now that Assad says it will pull out "in a few months"

OK, let's say the Assad is big fat liar (ya think?).... when was the last time that he made any offer to withdraw troops from Lebanon (Jeopardy music playing).... time's up!!.... never!

The Syrian backed government of Lebanon resigned in a vote of "no confidence", too.

Egypt's Mubarak offers free elections for the first time since he became Prime Minister in 1981.

And of course, the Palestinians and the Israelis are seriously negotiating peace again.

Wow.... like what happened in the Middle East? Is it because it's springtime, when a terrorist's fancy turn to thoughts of love? No.

I know.... those guys were watching the Billy Graham Crusade and have repented of their sins!!! ..... nah.... don't think so.

Does it have to do with Bush's "illegal" invasion of Iraq over "non-existant" WMDs and establishing a democracy that the Iraqi people "were not ready for"? OK.... it's a stretch..... call me crazy..... but I think that is part of the reason why we're seeing this sort of thing. Plus of course, Arafat is dead, and Condi is Secretary of State (I'll bet she can be a real bitch when she wants to be!) and we just severed diplomatic relations with Syria (which oftentimes happens when countries are about to go to war)..... so do you think that we're seeing some tinpot dictators turn into nervous nellies? Yes.

So pre-emption a.k.a "The Bush Doctrine" is working! And, it's a very sad day at the New York Times and the DNC Headquarters!

P.S. Now if only "Punch" (or is it "Pinch"?) Salzburger, the chief editor of the NY Times, would take a hint from Assad and Mubarak and offer to step down and adopt of policy of fair and balanced reporting.... as well as the cheif editors of the Washington Post, the LA Times, and most major newspapers....

I don't think he will have 'months' to withdraw. After the Syria leaning Lebanese government resigned, the people stayed in the streets demanding the withdrawal of Syria. And so it begins...

Forum List

Back