As if Darfur didn't have enough problems...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by insein, Jul 6, 2004.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3868829.stm

These people can't get a break from the UN for anything. Im sure the nature hippy liberals will be crying that the locusts shouldnt be harmed. :rolleyes:

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    If they have to wait for UN they are SOL, but I do believe US and UK are going to step in. Question is, will it be in time?

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    makes our job of providing humanitarian aid relief that much harder. but we can pull it off

4. deciophobic

deciophobic Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

5. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167

Call me a skeptic, but the BBC quoting a UN agency is always a red flag.

I don't why one UN agency on the one hand is worried about a future famine maybe affecting the health of the region while on the other hand all other agencies under the same leadership and direction dither over how to stop the genocide RIGHT NOW killing thousands.

On the other hand, when the Muslims kill off all those people, blaming the locusts seems like and 'out' set up to block any future criticism against another likely UN failure. See, it was actually LOCUSTS who killed off all the people in Sudan, and we were warned about it advance.

Who thinks I'm being unreasonably cynical?

6. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i honestly don't know what to think anymore... my faith in a lot of things has been lost or altered in the past three months.

i will say this, and i'll say it again in the future: my faith in the basic goodness of people is still there though... e-mailing ordinary americans, canadians, brits and spainiards in church, student and civic groups and recieving heartfelt replies and promises of assistance and prayer for those in darfur has assured that.

7. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    We need not only good people but strong ones. I won't fault Spain for their goodness but their national will folded under duress. Canadians think us "evil" but when push comes to shove they are pretty good. Brits and Assies are the best allies we have, but waver at times. We ought to just to this job in Sudan ourselves, if we think it's right. Easy for me to say with you sailing off and maybe even ending up involved in the actual work. I'll be behind you even if the rest of the world isn't, though.