Are angels like commonly depicted?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Human looking in other words? Or all beautiful and radiant? Uh no.

Angel-Of-Peace-angels-10952900-426-414.jpg

Classical idea of an angel.

our-angels-are-different2_6896.jpg

Scripturally-consistent version.

"Dean: I thought angels were supposed to be guardians. Fluffy wings, halos—you know, Michael Landon. Not dicks.
Castiel: Read the Bible. Angels are warriors of God. I'm a soldier.
—Supernatural, "Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean Winchester" (S04, E02) "
Our Angels Are Different[ - TV Tropes

Archangel Michael (patron angel of cops):

screenhunter_01-feb-25-19-42.gif

Your OP poses a false dichotomy.

Please cite the bible scripture which states that angels have 3 eyes and tentacles.

"The cherubim are part of an amazing vision that Ezekiel relates in chapters 1 and 10...Ezek. 1:15-21 and 10:9-13...We are also told these ophan are dreadful to look at and are covered with eyes!
We have briefly mentioned the Cherubim, but there are two other classes of angels mentioned in scripture. The Seraphim (fiery, burning ones) and the Nephilim (fallen ones). The Seraphim are mentioned in Is. 6:2, where they are described as having six wings, two with which they cover their eyes, two with which they cover their feet, and two with which they fly. The cry Holy, Holy, Holy in the Presence of the Lord. These same beings appear to be described in Ezek. 1:13 as part of the moving angelic throne of God, also consisting of the cherubim and ophan."
The Night Is Coming: 2/1/15 - 2/8/15

Cherubim-angel-angels-35968492-454-500.jpg

The Night Is Coming: Angels - A Brief Study - Part 1

Some other cool paintings of angels. None of whom I'd wanna be standing in proximity of.

Angel-Of-Peace-angels-10952900-426-414.jpg

Classical idea of an angel.

our-angels-are-different2_6896.jpg

"Dean: I thought angels were supposed to be guardians. Fluffy wings, halos—you know, Michael Landon. Not dicks.
Castiel: Read the Bible. Angels are warriors of God. I'm a soldier.
—Supernatural, "Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean Winchester" (S04, E02) "
Our Angels Are Different[ - TV Tropes
The concept of angels is as old as white Jesus himself and the concept of "beautiful" and "white" being synonymous. From what I understand there is no description of angels in the bible besides "clear and shining face" if I remember correctly. Here is a Black angel that looks amazingly like one of my daughters.

3ac02e61751b5af8fe9a8ebb5532240b.jpg

"The cherubim are part of an amazing vision that Ezekiel relates in chapters 1 and 10...Ezek. 1:15-21 and 10:9-13...We are also told these ophan are dreadful to look at and are covered with eyes!
We have briefly mentioned the Cherubim, but there are two other classes of angels mentioned in scripture. The Seraphim (fiery, burning ones) and the Nephilim (fallen ones). The Seraphim are mentioned in Is. 6:2, where they are described as having six wings, two with which they cover their eyes, two with which they cover their feet, and two with which they fly. The cry Holy, Holy, Holy in the Presence of the Lord. These same beings appear to be described in Ezek. 1:13 as part of the moving angelic throne of God, also consisting of the cherubim and ophan."
The Night Is Coming: 2/1/15 - 2/8/15

No mention of 3 eyes or tentacles. Derp.

When reading Hebrew descriptions of Angels, keep in mind the Hebrew language uses imagery, not abstract ideas which is the basis of English and most other languages.

Radiance: They reside in the presence of God and reflect His radiant glory.
Wings: They go where they are sent instantaneously
Eyes: Their vision is much greater than ours. They see more, they see farther.

The Seraphim are said to be fiery because of their closeness to God. (They are beyond radiant.) The two wings covering their eyes depict that that the glory of God is blinding. The wings covering their feet represent they do not go where their own feet take them, but that they remain with God, or go where He sends them.

When reading Hebrew descriptions of Angels, keep in mind the Hebrew language uses imagery, not abstract ideas which is the basis of English and most other languages.

The Seraphim are said to be fiery because of their closeness to God. (They are beyond radiant.) The two wings covering their eyes depict that that the glory of God is blinding. The wings covering their feet represent they do not go where their own feet take them, but that they remain with God, or go where He sends them.

Catholic monk way back gave us much of how we think of angels compiling an encyclopedia of sorts about them. This compilation is where the traditional idea originated.

From Catholic Encyclopedia (linked at end.)

"The treatise "De Coelesti Hierarchia", which is ascribed to St. Denis the Areopagite, and which exercised so strong an influence upon the Scholastics, treats at great length of the hierarchies and orders of the angels. It is generally conceded that this work was not due to St. Denis, but must date some centuries later. Though the doctrine it contains regarding the choirs of angels has been received in the Church with extraordinary unanimity, no proposition touching the angelic hierarchies is binding on our faith. The following passages from St. Gregory the Great (Hom. 34, In Evang.) will give us a clear idea of the view of the Church's doctors on the point:

We know on the authority of Scripture that there are nine orders of angels, viz., Angels, Archangels, Virtues, Powers, Principalities, Dominations, Throne, Cherubim and Seraphim. That there are Angels and Archangels nearly every page of the Bible tell us, and the books of the Prophets talk of Cherubim and Seraphim. St. Paul, too, writing to the Ephesians enumerates four orders when he says: 'above all Principality, and Power, and Virtue, and Domination'; and again, writing to the Colossians he says: 'whether Thrones, or Dominations, or Principalities, or Powers'. If we now join these two lists together we have five Orders, and adding Angels and Archangels, Cherubim and Seraphim, we find nine Orders of Angels.

St. Thomas (Summa Theologica I:108), following St. Denis (De Coelesti Hierarchia, vi, vii), divides the angels into three hierarchies each of which contains three orders. Their proximity to the Supreme Being serves as the basis of this division. In the first hierarchy he places the Seraphim, Cherubim, and Thrones; in the second, the Dominations, Virtues, and Powers; in the third, the Principalities, Archangels, and Angels. The only Scriptural names furnished of individual angels are Raphael, Michael, and Gabriel, names which signify their respective attributes. Apocryphal Jewish books, such as the Book of Enoch, supply those of Uriel and Jeremiel, while many are found in other apocryphal sources, like those Milton names in "Paradise Lost". (On superstitious use of such names, see above). "
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Angels

Catholic monk way back gave us much of how we think of angels compiling an encyclopedia of sorts about them. This compilation is where the traditional idea originated.

From Catholic Encyclopedia (linked at end.)

"The treatise "De Coelesti Hierarchia", which is ascribed to St. Denis the Areopagite, and which exercised so strong an influence upon the Scholastics, treats at great length of the hierarchies and orders of the angels. It is generally conceded that this work was not due to St. Denis, but must date some centuries later. Though the doctrine it contains regarding the choirs of angels has been received in the Church with extraordinary unanimity, no proposition touching the angelic hierarchies is binding on our faith. The following passages from St. Gregory the Great (Hom. 34, In Evang.) will give us a clear idea of the view of the Church's doctors on the point:

We know on the authority of Scripture that there are nine orders of angels, viz., Angels, Archangels, Virtues, Powers, Principalities, Dominations, Throne, Cherubim and Seraphim. That there are Angels and Archangels nearly every page of the Bible tell us, and the books of the Prophets talk of Cherubim and Seraphim. St. Paul, too, writing to the Ephesians enumerates four orders when he says: 'above all Principality, and Power, and Virtue, and Domination'; and again, writing to the Colossians he says: 'whether Thrones, or Dominations, or Principalities, or Powers'. If we now join these two lists together we have five Orders, and adding Angels and Archangels, Cherubim and Seraphim, we find nine Orders of Angels.

St. Thomas (Summa Theologica I:108), following St. Denis (De Coelesti Hierarchia, vi, vii), divides the angels into three hierarchies each of which contains three orders. Their proximity to the Supreme Being serves as the basis of this division. In the first hierarchy he places the Seraphim, Cherubim, and Thrones; in the second, the Dominations, Virtues, and Powers; in the third, the Principalities, Archangels, and Angels. The only Scriptural names furnished of individual angels are Raphael, Michael, and Gabriel, names which signify their respective attributes. Apocryphal Jewish books, such as the Book of Enoch, supply those of Uriel and Jeremiel, while many are found in other apocryphal sources, like those Milton names in "Paradise Lost". (On superstitious use of such names, see above). "
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Angels

Good information. Thank you.

I am rather fond of the descriptions of the seventy-two Goetic demons mentioned in an old grimoire called "The Lesser Key of Solomon", many of which are described as angelic in appearance...

Angels are men who belong or have belonged to this earth. For example, Michael the arch angel is none other than Adam. Gabriel is none other than Noah. Wings of angels is a figurative representation of power and not a physical attribute. Many angels visited the prophet Joseph Smith to restore the church and kingdom of God upon the earth.

See the reference to Angels

Angels are men who belong or have belonged to this earth. For example, Michael the arch angel is none other than Adam. Gabriel is none other than Noah. Wings of angels is a figurative representation of power and not a physical attribute. Many angels visited the prophet Joseph Smith to restore the church and kingdom of God upon the earth.

See the reference to Angels

That is the Mormon version of Angels. Delta is talking about the Jewish/Hebrew version which, on all accounts, should be the west traditional version.

Revelation 22:8-9
8 And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
9 Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.

Genesis 19:1-7
1 And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;
2 And he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into your servant’s house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night.
3 And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.
4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:
5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.

Revelation 12:7-11
7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Forum List

Back