Are Americans too cynical for the future to enjoy sci fi?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
All of the right wing people I know enjoy The Walking Dead while my liberal friends enjoy Game of Thrones and Netflix stuff!

What about space opera? Are we too cynical for the future?

Too bad this didn't work out for network TV!

We need an epic space opera that is not set in a fantasy universe like Star Wars but set in our future but not is Star Trek and would not alienate both sides of the political spectrum!

We need an epic space opera to get us excited for the future!

How can TV make space exciting again?

All of the right wing people I know enjoy The Walking Dead while my liberal friends enjoy Game of Thrones and Netflix stuff!

We need an epic space opera that is not set in a fantasy universe like Star Wars but set in our future but not is Star Trek and would not alienate both sides of the political spectrum!

I can't sit still for any of that shit. Way way way too contrived and full of its own fakery to take seriously on any level.

I can't sit still for any of that shit. Way way way too contrived and full of its own fakery to take seriously on any level.

Take seriously? It's supposed to be entertainment. :dunno:

Yeah I can't be entertained by a context I can't take seriously. Suspension of reality has its limits and these dramallama productions are way past that line.

I watched half of the first season of The Expanse, but it wasn't good enough to continue with IMO. I enjoyed the first 2 Mass Effect games, never played the third.

I like Star Trek Discovery, although not enough to pay for CBS All Access. There's a show called Extinct I'm curious about, from Orson Scott Card, but haven't seen. There don't seem to be a lot of space-based shows atm, though.

Yeah I can't be entertained by a context I can't take seriously. Suspension of reality has its limits and these dramallama productions are way past that line.

That's pretty sad for you, you've missed out on tons of good entertainment. :)

No actually I've filtered out a lot of ultrapretentious crap.

Ever seen anyone cough on TV? Unless it was part of a script where they have TB or something? Ever see someone sneeze? Or ask somebody to repeat what they just said? Never happens. All contrived, all scripted, devoid of reality.

Actually I have seen someone sneeze on TV. It was a game show broadcast live, in France. The moderator sneezed like three times. I love live action --- because it can't be sanitized.

I watched half of the first season of The Expanse, but it wasn't good enough to continue with IMO. I enjoyed the first 2 Mass Effect games, never played the third.

I like Star Trek Discovery, although not enough to pay for CBS All Access. There's a show called Extinct I'm curious about, from Orson Scott Card, but haven't seen. There don't seem to be a lot of space-based shows atm, though.

Star Trek Discovery kind of sucks.

I love sci-fi and fantasy. When written or produced right there is nothing better. I've been reading and watching alternate history stories and movies. I get a kick out of those as well.

Didn't Alexa start telling people, "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave"?

Last edited:
The Expanse is more what I rather enjoy in Sci fi. More realistic how things behave in low g. Political plot more realistic and dirty. No aliens that speak fluent English.

Gave The Orville 5 minutes and couldn't take it. Cheesy as hell.

The Expanse is more what I rather enjoy in Sci fi. More realistic how things behave in low g. Political plot more realistic and dirty. No aliens that speak fluent English.

I thought The Orville was caught between trying to be a serious Star Trek type of show and a McFarlane-style comedy, and failed at both. Like you, however, I didn't watch very much.

Interesting scene in The Expanse was the use of gravity torture on a Belter who lived entire life in the astriod belt in low gravity. Some humans couldn't return to Earth due to being born in low gravity.
Earth is a one world government run by the U.N.
Mars is independent and both are fighting for valuable resources in the Belt.

No actually I've filtered out a lot of ultrapretentious crap.

Ever seen anyone cough on TV? Unless it was part of a script where they have TB or something? Ever see someone sneeze? Or ask somebody to repeat what they just said? Never happens. All contrived, all scripted, devoid of reality.

Actually I have seen someone sneeze on TV. It was a game show broadcast live, in France. The moderator sneezed like three times. I love live action --- because it can't be sanitized.

While I get your point, I think you do fiction in general, and science fiction in particular, a disservice. I sometimes get annoyed at the way people in TV and movies don't do the regular things all people do: using the bathroom, getting a runny nose, waking up with lines in your face from the pillow, scratching an itch in an indecorous place, etc. etc. However, none of those things are likely to advance the plot of a given story. In fact, those kinds of things would almost certainly be wasted time and are things that most people have no interest in seeing. Fiction is usually a form of escapism; if one wants to see a person performing the boring, normal actions of day to day life, there's no need to watch a movie or turn on a show.

If there were a demand to see an action hero pick his nose before getting out his guns, or a foreign spy sitting on the toilet before she goes to meet her contact, I'm sure producers would see to it they were added. Movies and TV shows are mostly supposed to be about those parts of the characters' lives that are outside the usual, though.

I thought The Orville was caught between trying to be a serious Star Trek type of show and a McFarlane-style comedy, and failed at both. Like you, however, I didn't watch very much.
I think Seth is tying to live a childhood dream.
Funny thing is the show seems to be a success.
I prefer more along 2001, 2010, Alien, Interstellar, Jupiter Ascending, Avatar.
Most television shows are too campy.

Star Trek Discovery kind of sucks.

I disagree, but it certainly isn't the same sort of show as the original or TNG.

I think Seth is tying to live a childhood dream.
Funny thing is the show seems to be a success.
I prefer more along 2001, 2010, Alien, Interstellar, Jupiter Ascending, Avatar.
Most television shows are too campy.

I didn't like Avatar. In my opinion it may be the most over-rated movie in history, at least based on the incredible revenue it brought in. If Jupiter Ascending was the Mila Kunis, Channing Tatum movie, I didn't care for that one, either.

2001 and 2010 are very slow, but 2001 is one of the classics of the genre. Alien is the standard for sci-fi/horror and still a great movie. Interstellar got a little silly IMO, but was still very enjoyable.

Netfix has a new one called Altered Carbon. I did like that. Reminded me of Blade Runner.
Dark, dirty, violent, and need to pay attention to follow.

Forum List

Back