Arabic books about "arab jews"

aris2chat

Gold Member
Feb 17, 2012
True histories: the renaissance of Arab Jews in Arabic novels
theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/oct/29/renaissance-arab-jews-arabic-novels-ali-bader-mohammad-al-ahmed
Marcia Lynx Qualey
Ali-Bader-011.jpg

Revisited Baghdad's Farhud pogrom … Iraqi novelist Ali Bader. Photograph: Ulf Andersen/Getty Images
For decades, Arab Jews went missing from Arabic films and novels. This loud absence followed the Jewish exodus from Cairo, Damascus and other cities around the region. Before the second world war, Jews had seemed an eternal part of the Arab cultural fabric. In the early 20th century, Baghdad’s Jews had made up one-third of the city’s population, and were prominent in the arts, commerce and city administration.

Things changed drastically in June 1941, when the riotous Farhud pogrom killed around 180 of Baghdad’s Jews and wounded closer to 1,000. Over the next decades, as the city’s Jewish residents emigrated or were driven out, they also disappeared from Iraqi narratives. But when acclaimed Iraqi novelist Ali Bader was searching for the origins of contemporary violence in Baghdad in his 2008 novel The Tobacco Keeper, he circled back to the Farhud massacres. From there, he depicted the city’s vibrant early-20th-century Jewish population.

Bader, who also wrote about the city’s Jewish population in his influential Papa Sartre, isn’t alone. Papa Sartre, published in 2001, was followed by more than 20 other novels and novellas that foreground Arabic-speaking Jews.

From the 1950s through the 1990s, if Arab Jewish characters appeared in Arabic novels, they were largely of two types. Either they’d been crafted by Arab Jews living in Israel, such as Sami Michael, or the characters reflected the situation of Israel and Palestine. The war and occupation “kidnapped … an important part of the Arab world history,” according to scholar Najat Abdulhaq. “And froze it.”

These stories remained largely frozen until about a decade ago, when films and novels that put ordinary Arab Jews in the spotlight began to appear, and were set in Syria, Tunisia, Yemen, Libya, Egypt, Iraq and Algeria. Among these are Syrian novelist Ibrahim al-Jubain’s Diary of a Damascus Jew (2007), Egyptian novelist Mutaz Fatiha’s The Last Jews of Alexandria (2008), Yemeni Ali al-Muqri’s The Handsome Jew (2009), and Algerian Amin Zaoui’s The Last Jew of Tamentit (2012), written in French.

These novels have been coming from across the region. “And I don’t think that the writers had an agreement among each other – that they had a workshop and then decided, ‘Come on, we’re going to write novels about it!’” Abdulhaq said at a talk this summer.

Most of the novels are set in the middle of the last century and are based on true stories. “Lastness” is a central trope. A cynic might say that it’s now possible to write about Arab Jews because their communities are gone.

But Bader, who was perhaps the first of this new wave, says he was intentionally writing against official regime history. In 2001, Bader said in an email: “Political discourse in Iraq was designed to legitimize the [Ba’athist] revolution, by denigrating systematically the previous eras.” This included the denigration of Jews and other minorities. “All my novels try to invalidate the official version of the history,” Bader said.

Other authors have had other motivations. Egyptian novelist Kamal Ruhayyim, who grew up in Giza and well-to-do Maadi, worked as a police officer in Cairo and Paris. When he began to write novels, he turned not to crime scenes, but to memories of his Jewish neighbours. According to his son Ahmed, Ruhayyim wanted Egyptians to remember this important part of their history. He also wanted them to understand the difference between Jewish communities and Israeli policies.

Several of these books are newly available in English translation. This year, Mohammad al-Ahmed’s The Maze of the Last One, translated by Christopher Marrs, was published by Dar Safi. The first novel in Ruhayyim’s trilogy, Diary of a Jewish Muslim, was translated by Sarah Enany and released by the American University in Cairo Press. The second in the trilogy, Days of Diaspora, came out in 2012.

Many of the books have found appreciative Arab audiences, winning awards, acclaim and readers. None of them has reached a audiences comparable to the bestselling romances by Ahlam Mosteghanemi or thrillers by Ahmed Mourad. But together, and for a variety of reasons, they bring Arab Jews back into Arabic literature.

I have often wondered what it was like in Berlin or Krakow when your neighbours were just the happy go lucky sort of serious types who also happened to be Jewish? There was nothing special about them. Their kids went to the same schools as yours. The parents went to see the same shows as your parents did,. They were fairly decent sort of people but there was the time...and so on. We don't hear about those times; we don't hear how just plain ordinary these folk were. And then the great silence! The Jews were no longer neighbours; they were an evil empire dedicated to despoiling the Nation!! Who? Old Chaim? How? Don't ask; they're gone; don't ask where.
And then the understanding that they were dead.
But what was it like in those days when everyone was just...a neighbour?

Greg

That is a bunch of crap, some Arabs sold to a high price, but the rest is just stealing , bull dozing and building Israel apts. Israel is slowly taking over Jerusalem. LIke swiss cheese. What do you think the rioting is about?
IH has a lot of mistruths in their stories.

That is a bunch of crap, some Arabs sold to a high price, but the rest is just stealing , bull dozing and building Israel apts. Israel is slowly taking over Jerusalem. LIke swiss cheese. What do you think the rioting is about?

I don't think you are on the right thread. Please locate yourself to the proper place for your .....er...stuff.

Greg

Maybe Israel should start treating the Palestinian Jews like people. What they are trying to show is how the Jews were throughout the ME. Ezekiel's burial site in Bagdad is not being honored. They went on an on about it in yesterdays' print of IH.

Jerusalem is the Jewish capital. Always as been and it will not ever be divided, and given away deal with it....

A radical Israel already armed with nuclear weapons is the major problem. I trust Iran more than Israel. I think what he means and is threatening is that if the US allows Iran to go ahead with their nuclear power, Israel will nuke Iran.

A radical Israel already armed with nuclear weapons is the major problem. I trust Iran more than Israel. I think what he means and is threatening is that if the US allows Iran to go ahead with their nuclear power, Israel will nuke Iran.

Your an idiot

I have often wondered what it was like in Berlin or Krakow when your neighbours were just the happy go lucky sort of serious types who also happened to be Jewish? There was nothing special about them. Their kids went to the same schools as yours. The parents went to see the same shows as your parents did,. They were fairly decent sort of people but there was the time...and so on. We don't hear about those times; we don't hear how just plain ordinary these folk were. And then the great silence! The Jews were no longer neighbours; they were an evil empire dedicated to despoiling the Nation!! Who? Old Chaim? How? Don't ask; they're gone; don't ask where.

Greg

greg-----from where do you get your information? ------I am no expert----but I do
have the ----"credential" of actually knowing both jews and Christians----who were there --------that is DECADES ago I knew them. You are about right when it comes to Germany----in the cities-----Christians and jews were school mates and friendly neighbors etc------same concerts---same language, same books. NOT IN POLAND!!!! In fact few Polish jews actually spoke polish----
they spoke Yiddish and the catholic poles and jews attended different schools.
They were very separate communities-----before adolf

'

what is a "bunch of crap"? ----is that YOU Penelope?------I cannot find the post to which you refer? is it the post of aris? As to the RIOTING it is all about
ISAAAAM Because there is now a "CALIPHATE"------lots of meccaists have
decided that THERE TIME HAS COME TO IMPOSE THEIR STINK AND FILTH
ON THE WORLD You object to the post about jews showing up as characters
in novels?

Maybe Israel should start treating the Palestinian Jews like people. What they are trying to show is how the Jews were throughout the ME. Ezekiel's burial site in Bagdad is not being honored. They went on an on about it in yesterdays' print of IH.

Penelope----take a deep breath and try to make your posts----make SENSE

what does "maybe Israel should start treating Palestinian jews like people"
mean? Who are you defining as "Palestinian jews" and what makes
you think that "Palestinian jews" are not being treated like "people"-----
I know a "Palestinian jew"------I am married to him. Since he came to
Palestine as an infant before 1948-----and is a jew-----his original papers
describe him a "Palestinian" which at that time meant any jew living in
British mandate Palestine. Ezekiel's burial site went the way muslims like to
do with the holy sites of KAFFIRIN-----the scum trashed it just as they have
trashed thousands of churches, hindu holy sites, jewish holy sites-----make
that hundreds of thousands -----probably millions------what is your point?

You write as if you know nothing

I trust the alley cat that lives near the city dump more than I trust you,
Penelope. What sort of a "problem" is an Israel that has nuclear
weapons since circa 1960------and has never used them-----more than
50 years and never used them? -------just about the moment your side
figured out how to launch baby smashing Kassam rockets they were tossing
them at the heads of jewish children----and very soon thereafter at the heads
of Hindu children-------then your side did a nail bomb thing in Boston too.
I see no problem at all with a nuclear armed Israel----and lots of harm coming
from your side HEZBOLLAH------the Iran HEZBOLLAH happily murdering
people in many lands for the cause of your disgusting creed (I should have
also mentioned the other people being knocked off by sluts with nail
bombs on their asses----------tens of thousans so far-----and not one death
from an Israeli nuclear bomb. People who want to kill-----kill-----the turks
murdered some two million Armenians armed with just knives and clubs

Greg

greg-----from where do you get your information? ------I am no expert----but I do
have the ----"credential" of actually knowing both jews and Christians----who were there --------that is DECADES ago I knew them. You are about right when it comes to Germany----in the cities-----Christians and jews were school mates and friendly neighbors etc------same concerts---same language, same books. NOT IN POLAND!!!! In fact few Polish jews actually spoke polish----

I was thinking more of Germany and you are quite correct: much less so than in Poland. Still, an "Aunty" (family friend) was there and tells of non-Jewish friends and neighbours. Gets me to wondering though.

( Actually Rosie's daughter wrote a play about her mother's experiences. It didn't do a lot wrt Broadway or anything but it was interesting: )

Greg

Greg

I was thinking more of Germany and you are quite correct: much less so than in Poland. Still, an "Aunty" (family friend) was there and tells of non-Jewish friends and neighbours. Gets me to wondering though.

( Actually Rosie's daughter wrote a play about her mother's experiences. It didn't do a lot wrt Broadway or anything but it was interesting: )

Greg

gtop-----I wrote about jews living in Krakow----I think that out in the
sticks-----people tend to form attachments no matter what. I have no
doubt that there were polish housewives in some village friends with
jewish housewives------that kinda thing HAPPENS------in the southern
USA------there were even <gasp> marriages between blacks and whites---
it was simply not the SOCIAL NORM Spock is the product of a Vulcan
father and----I believe ---earthling mother

Greg

Greg

gtop-----I wrote about jews living in Krakow----I think that out in the
sticks-----people tend to form attachments no matter what. I have no
doubt that there were polish housewives in some village friends with
jewish housewives------that kinda thing HAPPENS------in the southern
USA------there were even <gasp> marriages between blacks and whites---
it was simply not the SOCIAL NORM Spock is the product of a Vulcan
father and----I believe ---earthling mother

Yes: not the norm but often enough to get me wondering. These were neighbours in ordinary times and their attitudes were often normal I would imagine. I would like to read more about it and not just for Germany or Europe, but in other countries before the post WW2 confusions.

Greg

Penelope----take a deep breath and try to make your posts----make SENSE

what does "maybe Israel should start treating Palestinian jews like people"
mean? Who are you defining as "Palestinian jews" and what makes
you think that "Palestinian jews" are not being treated like "people"-----
I know a "Palestinian jew"------I am married to him. Since he came to
Palestine as an infant before 1948-----and is a jew-----his original papers
describe him a "Palestinian" which at that time meant any jew living in
British mandate Palestine. Ezekiel's burial site went the way muslims like to
do with the holy sites of KAFFIRIN-----the scum trashed it just as they have
trashed thousands of churches, hindu holy sites, jewish holy sites-----make
that hundreds of thousands -----probably millions------what is your point?

You write as if you know nothing

Penelope knows hatred.

Greg

Forum List

Back