Aquarium’s new critter packs a pulverizing punch

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
I've never seen one of these critters before. Very colorful. Must be why they are called peacock shrimp. Wonder how they know they can see " a thermonuclear bomb of light and beauty." Wonder what that looks like too. :)

The Monterey Bay Aquarium has added a colorful new creature that must be kept alone in its exhibit because of the extraordinary power contained within its lobster-like body. Even though the peacock mantis shrimp will have no company, it was with trepidation and not-so-fond memories that the California facility decided to place one on display.

Aquarium's new critter packs a pulverizing punch | GrindTV.com

My mother had a punch that was devastating, bluegin. These shrimps would look at her turn to run . . . and be dipped in her shrimp sauce at dinner.

My mother had a punch that was devastating, bluegin. These shrimps would look at her turn to run . . . and be dipped in her shrimp sauce at dinner.

Punch? As in killer alcoholic type beverage...or right hook?

I've never seen one of these critters before. Very colorful. Must be why they are called peacock shrimp. Wonder how they know they can see " a thermonuclear bomb of light and beauty." Wonder what that looks like too. :)

The Monterey Bay Aquarium has added a colorful new creature that must be kept alone in its exhibit because of the extraordinary power contained within its lobster-like body. Even though the peacock mantis shrimp will have no company, it was with trepidation and not-so-fond memories that the California facility decided to place one on display.

Remind me not to put that thing in my pocket.

Remind me not to put that thing in my pocket.

Aw...where is your sense of adventure?

Within the mantis shrimp’s shell are hinged arm-like claws, with fist-like clubs at their ends. They lash out with the speed of a .22-caliber bullet—the fastest punch in the world—and literally smash its prey (see accompanying video).​

Ummm...the video says 73 feet per second. Per Wiki, .22 long rifle cartridges have a muzzle velocity ranging from 1,080 ft/s to over 1,400 ft/s.

Maybe the author meant "They lash out with the speed of a .22-caliber bullet dropped from a moderate height."

The shrimp is impressive enough without tossing out distorted facts.

Forum List

Back