AP source: Obama to Announce Nuke Plant Loan

Ame®icano;2003893 said:
Have I said something is wrong with this? No. And you calling ME a wingnut. :cuckoo:

If you red my old posts you would find I am for nuclear energy all along.

Now, seems that nuclear energy suddenly comes as Obama's solution for failing to produce green energy and green jobs. Therefore, my question is still, what happened with "green energy"? Not so popular anymore?

Look at Zoom's post, this wasn't to be unexpected. Obama never ruled out Nuclear Energy in the first place.

However, green energy takes time to develop. Nuclear Energy is something we can start to develop now and be sure that's it working by a certain time.

And no, you never said anything was wrong with this, but you seemed to take a shot at Obama just the same. And you call the green energy Obama's solution but not this? Who do you think made this solution up? Sherlock Holmes? :eusa_eh:

Who made up green energy solution? No, it's not Obama. Yes, it was Clinton.

Btw, remember the election? Obama criticizes McCain's nuclear power plan

Ame®icano;2003948 said:

Yes I do. Did you read the article?

LAS VEGAS, June 24 (Reuters) - U.S. presidential candidate Barack Obama on Tuesday criticized his rival John McCain's proposal to encourage the building of 45 new nuclear reactors by 2030.

Obama, a Democrat, said the Republican candidate lacked a plan for storage of the waste
. It was among several energy-strategy ideas that Obama said were "not serious energy policies."

And of course, this:

Asked his views on nuclear power in Jacksonville, Florida on Friday, Obama said, "I think that nuclear power should be in the mix when it comes to energy." But he added, "I don't think it's our optimal energy source because we haven't figured out how to store the waste safely or recycle the waste."

Obama supports using federal research and development dollars to explore whether nuclear waste can be stored safely for reuse.

You just shot yourself in the foot. Good job. :thup: :lol:

Ame®icano;2003948 said:

Yes I do. Did you read the article?

LAS VEGAS, June 24 (Reuters) - U.S. presidential candidate Barack Obama on Tuesday criticized his rival John McCain's proposal to encourage the building of 45 new nuclear reactors by 2030.

Obama, a Democrat, said the Republican candidate lacked a plan for storage of the waste
. It was among several energy-strategy ideas that Obama said were "not serious energy policies."

And of course, this:

Asked his views on nuclear power in Jacksonville, Florida on Friday, Obama said, "I think that nuclear power should be in the mix when it comes to energy." But he added, "I don't think it's our optimal energy source because we haven't figured out how to store the waste safely or recycle the waste."

Obama supports using federal research and development dollars to explore whether nuclear waste can be stored safely for reuse.

You just shot yourself in the foot. Good job. :thup: :lol:

That sounds like "I was for it, before I was against it".

Do you think that problem with storing waste is solved in the past two years? Of course not. Waste is just an excuse.

Ame®icano;2003974 said:

Do you think that problem with storing waste is solved in the past two years? Of course not. Waste is just an excuse.

Can you show me where he was ever against it? He's against building 45 power plants in 25 years and not even have a safe place to store the waste. Nothing wrong with that.

Ame®icano;2003974 said:

Can you show me where he was ever against it? He's against building 45 power plants in 25 years and not even have a safe place to store the waste. Nothing wrong with that.

Honestly, I can't.

You can't show where he was clearly for it neither.

And that IS my point.

Ame®icano;2004006 said:
Honestly, I can't.

You can't show where he was clearly for it neither.

And that IS my point.

You just showed for me. :eusa_eh:

Last edited:
Barack Obama economic policy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the issue of nuclear power, in 2005, Obama stated, "... as Congress considers policies to address air quality and the deleterious effects of carbon emissions on the global ecosystem, it is reasonable – and realistic – for nuclear power to remain on the table for consideration. Illinois has 11 nuclear power plants – the most of any State in the country – and nuclear power provides more than half of Illinois’ electricity needs."[33] Regarding McCain's plans for 45 new nuclear power plants, Obama said that it's not serious, it's not new, it's not the kind of energy policy that will give families the relief they need.[34] Obama declared himself flatly opposed to building the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository in Nevada.[35][36] Furthermore, he opposes new nuclear plants until the problems of nuclear waste storage, safety and cost can be addressed.[37]

He said he was going to go for nukes in his SOTU speech . . . I really thought it was more blather. Excellent that in this instance his actions and his words are in sync. I hope they follow France's example of recycling the spent fuel and their storage solutions. Point for Barry.

I don't want to say I told you so, but..:eusa_shhh: :lol:

Hopefully this means he'll go through with the other things he said. This is major, so he can definitely tackle the smaller stuff.

Don't want to say I told you so but I applauded this in a thread or two here after his sotu speech, even though I had reservations about his following through with it. While his words and actions are often mismatched I hoped this was something he'd follow through on and gave him props for it. :tongue:

Are the nukes/money tied into Cap 'n Tax in anyway?

He said he was going to go for nukes in his SOTU speech . . . I really thought it was more blather. Excellent that in this instance his actions and his words are in sync. I hope they follow France's example of recycling the spent fuel and their storage solutions. Point for Barry.

I don't want to say I told you so, but..:eusa_shhh: :lol:

Hopefully this means he'll go through with the other things he said. This is major, so he can definitely tackle the smaller stuff.

Don't want to say I told you so but I applauded this in a thread or two here after his sotu speech, even though I had reservations about his following through with it. While his words and actions are often mismatched I hoped this was something he'd follow through on and gave him props for it. :tongue:

Are the nukes/money tied into Cap 'n Tax in anyway?

Let's hope the building of any plants doesn't get mired down in regulation and bureaucratic nightmares...

Build the fuckers now...

Don't worry, the wackos have the lawyers and the judges they need to stop pretty much anything.

Which is why I think the loan guarantees are a waste of money.

The concrete will be poured, the control rooms built, but we won't get a single watt out of any new nuke plant ever.

I think it is a good idea, we have been a little behind the times on this issue for awhile.

Though many of the wingnuts will hate to admit it, France does a great job concerning Nuclear Energy. They have 59 Nuclear Power Plants which between them power 78% of France.

They also have the lowest electricity cost in Europe.

They also own most of the UK's energy companies.

Finally, Obama has done something that I will absolutely give him credit for. I am delighted that I don't have to criticize him for once.

AP source: Obama to announce nuke plant loan - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama next week will announce a loan guarantee to build the first nuclear power plant in the United States in almost three decades, an administration official said Friday.
The two new Southern Co. reactors to be built in Burke, Ga., are part of a White House energy plan administration officials hope will draw Republican support. Obama's direct involvement in announcing the award underscores the political weight the White House is putting behind its effort to use nuclear power and alternative energy sources to lessen American dependence on foreign oil and reduce the use of other fossil fuels blamed for global warming.

Loan guarantees for other sites are expected to be announced in the coming months, the official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the decision had not yet been made public. The federal guarantees are seen as essential for construction of any new reactor because of the huge expense involved. Critics call the guarantees a form of subsidy and say taxpayers will assume a huge risk, given the industry's record of cost overruns and loan defaults.

Even with next week's announcement, actual construction of the first reactor is still years away. The Southern Co. has applied to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission for a construction and operating license for the plant, one of 13 such applications the agency is considering. NRC spokesman Eliot Brenner said the earliest any of those could be approved would be late 2011 or early 2012.

Obama called for "a new generation of safe, clean nuclear power plants" in his Jan. 27 State of the Union speech, and followed that by proposing to triple loan guarantees for new nuclear plants. Obama's budget for the coming year would add $36 billion in new federal loan guarantees on top of $18.5 billion already budgeted — but not spent — for a total of $54.5 billion. That's enough to help build six or seven new nuclear plants, which can cost $8 billion to $10 billion each.

Environmentalists, who once saw Obama as a friend of renewable energy, have said they feel betrayed by his shift. They said renewable energy such as wind and solar are more cost-effective than nuclear power and do not come with side effects such as radioactive waste.

Change indeed, doing something no President has done since Reagan.

Thoughts USMB?

FANTASTIC!!!! I agree with Obama 100%!!!

Ame®icano;2003893 said:
Ame®icano;2003858 said:
What happened to "green energy" promise?

And here's wingnut #1 trying to find something wrong with this.

Have I said something is wrong with this? No. And you calling ME a wingnut. :cuckoo:

Now, seems that nuclear energy suddenly comes as Obama's solution for failing to produce green energy and green jobs. Therefore, my question is still, what happened with "green energy"? Not so popular anymore?

Nuclear IS "green energy"! IDIOT!

Ame®icano;2003893 said:
And here's wingnut #1 trying to find something wrong with this.

Nuclear IS "green energy"! IDIOT!

And nuclear waste is a green waste. They even pack it in green barrels.

Forum List

Back