Anyone with knowledge on Rabbits? HELP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by janeeng, Oct 11, 2003.

1. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The beginning of Summer, I save 2 baby rabbits, I believe by the looks of them they are cottontails - I was proud to see that they survived and have gotten bigger and stronger. I knew they were getting bigger and had to think, do I keep them? or do I find help....Now, I have a huge problem and I am sick to death. I woke up to my Daughter upset, she ran "Mommy, come see bunny, he's hurt" well, it appears that the one looks as if he was skinned - awhile back, this happened, slightly, but grew back - this is the worse I have seen and not sure what to do - I have 2 pictures here, and I know, it's not a pretty sight to look at, but anyone PLEASE!! that can help me out here, I would appreciate it. I know they can't go back to wild, they are too dependant on me and one has a deformed leg from the spot he was stepped on as a baby...HELP HELP HELP??????

The first picture is of the one that is fine and just to show what they look like

2. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This is the one who has the fur missing! like he has been skinned!

3. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Where did the missing fur go? Was there any scattered in their cage?

4. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Bring it to a Vet, immediately! He'll probably need some medication/ointment to assist in the healing.

Are they eating?

5. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No, no fur in the cage - or let's say, no clumps, when I cleaned it, there was a strand here and there, but nothing that would amount to what's missing! I just can't figure it out, it's a sad sight and not sure what to do!

6. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    They eat fine, drink fine! this happened once before, but nothing like this, a little hair missing, but I put ointment on it, and left it alone, the picture what you saw is just one side, the other side has missing hair too! On a Saturday, christ, that would cost a fortune to bring to emergency vet! I am thinking more of the rehabilitators, not sure! or just give them a couple days!

7. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Yeah, I agree with Jim, take him to the vet.
    I hate to think of it but it might be one rabbit attacked the other, possibly biting. Might explain the abcense of fur.

8. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If the other attacked wouldn't there be more than that? like blood? there is no blood, nothing, and they are always together. I would think if they attacked, there would be cuts, not just the skin like that. I guess it's a vet visit, or someone in Middlesex who has the knowledge of these rabbits.

9. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    BTW - thanks so much for answering me Mntbiker and Jim! It's not easy when a 4 year old comes crying to you! I am lost with words on this, or the knowledge.

10. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Looks like an infection of some kind... definitely needs some medicine from the vet.