Anyone think this sounds like SKYNET?

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Are we all doomed to be over-run by robots? I mean we already have unmanned drones that can carry weapons and attacks, how long before honestly before we have artificial intelligence soldiers? Do you really thing the US government will not make a push for them in the future? I mean, the technology to get them is getting every closer to reality. Yes we can programs them to not harm humans, but has anyone ever had their computer crash or has a virus or worm ever made you computer go crazy. See where I am going.

Also even if the US government decides not to go with robot soldiers (which is highly unlikely), I doubt China and Russia would do the same (meaning not try to develop robot soldiers).

FOXNews.com - Colonies of 'Cybots' May Defend Government Networks - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News
The Cybot Age could soon be upon us. But be not afraid; this isn't Star Trek. We're not talking droves of evil cyborgs bent on galaxy domination.

If all goes as planned, in just a few years colonies of software robots -- "cybots" -- linked into a "hive" mind could be defending the largest computer systems in America against network intruders.

Researchers at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory say the program behind the cybots — Ubiquitous Transient Autonomous Mission Entities (UNTAME) — will be very different from current cybersecurity systems.

Joe Trien, who leads the team at the lab's Computational Sciences and Engineering Division, said what will make cybots so useful is that they will be able to form groups, function autonomously and respond almost immediately.

Trien likened the UNTAME framework to the Borg, a fictitious race of cybernetic organisms in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" that assimilated other cultures throughout the galaxy.

"The difference between an agent-based system and UNTAME is that the cybots are designed to function on their own and they can regenerate," he said. "It works with other robots, and what it does is known by the collective. So when you lose a robot, the collective hasn't lost the information that robot was able to achieve up until the point it was killed."

Last edited:
I think he means that the robots will replace us in our jobs...or assimilate us.

Resistance is futile.

Don't worry, the army won't be replaced by robots anytime soon.

Robots cost $$$. Teenagers are free. You don't even have to recycle them - they go into a landfill.

Don't worry, the army won't be replaced by robots anytime soon.

Robots cost $$$. Teenagers are free. You don't even have to recycle them - they go into a landfill.

You sure about that? Hire a teenager you must pay him/her a salary, health insurance, medical bills, disability and for his/her education. You build a robot you have a robot! If a soldier dies you have to answer to the press and the people, if a robot dies you have no answer to NO ONE!

You sure about that? Hire a teenager you must pay him/her a salary, health insurance, medical bills, disability and for his/her education. You build a robot you have a robot! If a soldier dies you have to answer to the press and the people, if a robot dies you have no answer to NO ONE!

well lets say you pay him 40G a year. compare that to $2 Billion that a single B-2 stealth bomber costs. you can buy 50,000 teenagers for a single piece of gear.

if a teenager gets killed you just say he was a hero. if your state of the art robot falls into a trap set up by a bunch of amateurs armed with 30 year old Russian weapons you have now embarrassed your entire country.

You see this is why Californian elected arnold for governor, that and 'my governor can kick your governor's ass' T-Shirts.

Are we all doomed to be over-run by robots? I mean we already have unmanned drones that can carry weapons and attacks, how long before honestly before we have artificial intelligence soldiers? Do you really thing the US government will not make a push for them in the future? I mean, the technology to get them is getting every closer to reality. Yes we can programs them to not harm humans, but has anyone ever had their computer crash or has a virus or worm ever made you computer go crazy. See where I am going.

Also even if the US government decides not to go with robot soldiers (which is highly unlikely), I doubt China and Russia would do the same (meaning not try to develop robot soldiers).

FOXNews.com - Colonies of 'Cybots' May Defend Government Networks - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News
The Cybot Age could soon be upon us. But be not afraid; this isn't Star Trek. We're not talking droves of evil cyborgs bent on galaxy domination.

If all goes as planned, in just a few years colonies of software robots -- "cybots" -- linked into a "hive" mind could be defending the largest computer systems in America against network intruders.

Researchers at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory say the program behind the cybots — Ubiquitous Transient Autonomous Mission Entities (UNTAME) — will be very different from current cybersecurity systems.

Joe Trien, who leads the team at the lab's Computational Sciences and Engineering Division, said what will make cybots so useful is that they will be able to form groups, function autonomously and respond almost immediately.

Trien likened the UNTAME framework to the Borg, a fictitious race of cybernetic organisms in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" that assimilated other cultures throughout the galaxy.

"The difference between an agent-based system and UNTAME is that the cybots are designed to function on their own and they can regenerate," he said. "It works with other robots, and what it does is known by the collective. So when you lose a robot, the collective hasn't lost the information that robot was able to achieve up until the point it was killed."

Seriously? Technophobes are just as annoying as environuts to me. Read more Asimov and watch less movies. Seriously.

Seriously? Technophobes are just as annoying as environuts to me. Read more Asimov and watch less movies. Seriously.

"Skynet gains sentience shortly after it is placed in control of all of the U.S. military's weaponry and is given the task to protect humans from all threats. Skynet learns at an exponential rate until it becomes self-aware. The human operators try to shut the system down.

Skynet decided our fate in a microsecond: extermination. It launched a nuclear war which destroyed most of the human population, and initiated a program of genocide against the survivors."
- Kyle Reese

I am not a technophobes when it comes to most things, but when it comes to artificial intelligence in control of our military capabilities (including nuclear bombs) and AI soldier, yes I am a little wary of what will result!

Forum List

Back