Anyone a fan of pumping iron?

Thats this thread knackered then.

Why? What specifically concerning weightlifting would you like to discuss? Bodybuilding vs powerlifting vs Olympic lifting vs circuit training vs sports-specific lifting?

Free weights vs machines?

Trot out your argument and I will be more than happy to explain to you why you are wrong.

Why? What specifically concerning weightlifting would you like to discuss? Bodybuilding vs powerlifting vs Olympic lifting vs circuit training vs sports-specific lifting?

Free weights vs machines?

Trot out your argument and I will be more than happy to explain to you why you are wrong.

I was born genetically gifted and have been accused of steroid abuse for most of my adult life, I am clean and always have been much to the chagrin of my fellow gym users who huff and puff all day long to no avail.There is no magic workout routine or specific diet, I just eat, drink, train, and be me.

As far as free weights and machines, free weights, unless of course you count your best lift on a machine.LOL.Nobody ever got real big and strong on a machine.

I was born genetically gifted and have been accused of steroid abuse for most of my adult life, I am clean and always have been much to the chagrin of my fellow gym users who huff and puff all day long to no avail.There is no magic workout routine or specific diet, I just eat, drink, train, and be me.

As far as free weights and machines, free weights, unless of course you count your best lift on a machine.LOL.Nobody ever got real big and strong on a machine.

It irritates me when ignorant people who won't work for it ask me if I'm juicing. I don't need it either. Years of training works like a charm. And of course, the genetics help.

I don't recall the last time I used a machine for anything. Last time I was even near any was my last deployment in 99, when I was the mercy of the ship's weightroom. Otherwise, I have a nicely outfitted gym that my wife keeps trying to tell me is a garage.

That and some good running shoes works for me.

It irritates me when ignorant people who won't work for it ask me if I'm juicing. I don't need it either. Years of training works like a charm. And of course, the genetics help.

I don't recall the last time I used a machine for anything. Last time I was even near any was my last deployment in 99, when I was the mercy of the ship's weightroom. Otherwise, I have a nicely outfitted gym that my wife keeps trying to tell me is a garage.

That and some good running shoes works for me.

My gym/garage is big enough for everything but the car as well.Running shoes, meh, cardio is for wimps:D

In actuality, a well-balanced diet will provide one with almost all the nutrients one needs. However, I don't know many people who even know what a well-balanced diet is, much less have one.

A good rule of thumb for sports supplements is if they sound too good to be true, they usually are.

TRUE...but:

Most of us are too busy to prepare high quality meals every 3 hours... so a shake (whey protein is more like food than a drug) helps, especially those leaner, hard gainer types.

Gary Strydom - 47 and ripped!
Vince Taylor - 51 and just competed in the Mr. Olympia!

TRUE...but:

Most of us are too busy to prepare high quality meals every 3 hours... so a shake (whey protein is more like food than a drug) helps, especially those leaner, hard gainer types.

Gary Strydom - 47 and ripped!
Vince Taylor - 51 and just competed in the Mr. Olympia!

You're talking actual competition bodybuilders though. YOu don't really think they aren't on the juice, do you?

I had to balance my weights with the endurance fitness required by the Marines, plus I was an avid martial artist, so I never really got too big. At my age, I don't need that protein shake! I was always more of a strength lifter anyway, not much of a bodybuilder.

In actuality, a well-balanced diet will provide one with almost all the nutrients one needs. However, I don't know many people who even know what a well-balanced diet is, much less have one.

A good rule of thumb for sports supplements is if they sound too good to be true, they usually are.

That's the gospel! A decent whey or albumen supplement is inexpensive and will provide the most direct benefit. And a good multivitamin to supplement your daily nutritional needs. Other than that, it's best to stick to whole foods in proper quantities, and to limit the amount of processed crap that is the staple of so much of our commercial foodstuffs.

That's the gospel! A decent whey or albumen supplement is inexpensive and will provide the most direct benefit. And a good multivitamin to supplement your daily nutritional needs. Other than that, it's best to stick to whole foods in proper quantities, and to limit the amount of processed crap that is the staple of so much of our commercial foodstuffs.

I spent most of the 80s - early 90s buying every gimmick they came out with. The only thing that ever worked for me and produced actual gains was creatine.

The "gimmick" I used when I was at my absolute strongest was I ate an entire sirloin steak every night for dinner (with some veggies) and took a One-a-Day in the morning. At that point in time I had yet to be introduced to any supplements beyond simple protein powder.

Inhindsight, I considered most of the wonder supplements as my donating to the continuing existence of a market based on exploiting gulibility and the natural penchant for Americans to look for the "wonder pill" that would solve all problems with minimal effort.

You're talking actual competition bodybuilders though. YOu don't really think they aren't on the juice, do you?

I had to balance my weights with the endurance fitness required by the Marines, plus I was an avid martial artist, so I never really got too big. At my age, I don't need that protein shake! I was always more of a strength lifter anyway, not much of a bodybuilder.

Haha, you mean it isn't just Barry Bonds?

I was just saying supplements can help... but really, the protein shakes are necessary (if, as I said, you can't prepare 6 meals a day).

I know I'd need a personal chef (or no job) to keep up with the diet if there were no protein powders available.

Haha, you mean it isn't just Barry Bonds?

I was just saying supplements can help... but really, the protein shakes are necessary (if, as I said, you can't prepare 6 meals a day).

I know I'd need a personal chef (or no job) to keep up with the diet if there were no protein powders available.

Specifically, what brand of whey protein do you find works best? I use Optimum Nutrition, I find the Vanilla Icecream flavor soothing :cool: I haven't yet delved into the world of creatine, and I dont plan to, not for some time at least.

And Gunny, if you started a new thread about a balanced nutritious diet, Im sure most people would find it interesting and helpful. Just a thought.

Forum List

Back