Anybody work out on a treadmill?

Treadmills are bad on your feet, ankles, knees and hips. Even worse are those ski type treadmills.

Better to do HIIT on an ExerCycle.

Treadmills are an excellent example of how the exercise industry in the US is total con. Something wrong with walking around outside? :)

Those Smith machines are a waste too. Just use free weights please. Learning how to control the weight is half the battle.

Pretty fancy footwork there!

I disagree that treadmills are bad for you. After last year (many family deaths) I was stymied and could not get back into eating right and working out. My tm was what finally (after months of trying) got me back to it. I primarily do HIIT workouts now but the tm was what got my endurance up and my weight down enough so that I could do the HIIT. Treadmills are easier on the joints that hitting hard pavement, imo.

Nothing wrong with treadmills except as Delta says, you can do the same thing outside. Typically we've turned simple walking and running into a religion with special, and very expensive shoes.

Like bicycles - you can just ride a old fashioned Schwinn. Its got to be a gazillion dollar racing bike.

However, I do think if you're going to run a lot, you need to be aware of the surface and your shoes. I still have shin splints from my running days. They're bad enough that I had to give up my fave sport - racquetball. Still miss that.

And, as I've gotten older, I'm really picky about my shoes.

Oh hell - picky doesn't begin to describe the weird relationship I have with #$%^&* shoes.

Walk and do weight training rather than weight lifting.
In fact, if you do weight training correctly, you'll eventually be doing heavier weight than the muscle bound morons.

Treadmills are an excellent example of how the exercise industry in the US is total con. Something wrong with walking around outside? :)

The only problem being that some people run into problems with their joints and feet after years of jogging. I prefer the outdoors for running and biking.

I actually do something similar. I figure if I am going to spend 45 min on the treadmill, I might as well exercise my arms too. So, when I am walking, I will do fist pumps, arm reaches and I have some hand weights where I will do some arm exercises while walking.

Yeah!!!

Walking or running in freezing temps with lots of ice and snow on the ground, is not smart. I will use my treadmill instead. Thank you.

I there something wrong with walking on a treadmill inside? Who cares? Sheesh.

Everybody should exercise in a way that they enjoy, as long as they are doing those excercises with good form.

I'm not into treadmills, but I do usually warm up/ cool down on the stationary bike by riding a few miles on a difficult setting before and after most of my weight lifting workouts at the gym.

I also prefer running outside, but if people choose to use treadmills, good for them. At least they are exercising.

I mean, I always preferred actual bouldering and rock climbing outside rather than using the climbing gym, but the climbing gym could still be a lot of fun, and challenging. Similar concept.

Last edited:
Yes. Getting upand moving and exercising on a regular basis is what is important. Not sitting around arguing about what is " better". Who cares?

Any gadget that gets you off your ass and moving can be a benefit.

There are many advantages to having a treadmill around the house. You can run in any weather conditions. You can run naked (seriously) or wearing only underwear. You can CONTROL not only your speed but the grades you run. In fact, if you want to do hill training, you are at the mercy of the terrain where you live, and you must necessarily run both up and down hills. With a TM you can run on a grade perpetually, and never have to run downhill.

On the road, you can fool yourself about how fast you are runnung; not so on a treadmill.

Treadmills are easier on joints than pavement.

Interval training is easier on a treadmill, where you can exactly control your speed, time, distance, and rest periods.

I personally have a pretty good treadmill with adjustable speed, incline, and a heart monitor. I have mounted a television in front of it, which makes hour-long "power walks" or whatever else I want to do incredibly convenient. I can pick a show I want to watch and walk or run without even thinking about the time lapse.

After 35 years of being a "runner," I finally wised up and stopped distance running, although I frequently enjoyed the experience. It is simply too hard on the joints, and the cardiovascular benefits are terribly over-sold. Interval training, coupled with body-weight training, stretching, and vigorous sports activities are the best way to stay in shape.

I have never used my treadmill in the same way as the person in the video at the top of this thread.

Yes, in winter it is too cold and the chance of breaking a leg slipping on the ice does not make it worth it. I'll continue using the treadmill in the winter to stay in shape, along with the ARC Trainer.

Treadmills are much different than running outside. During the warm weather months, about 8 months of the year, I run outside, mostly at the park. We have some great parks with excellent running trails, so I don't have to run on the hard pavement. I do run on the treadmills during the winter and when I am traveling and the hotel treadmill is the best option. I run 20 to 25 miles per week, and lift weights three days per week. The one thing about treadmills is that it is easier to push yourself harder on a treadmill than running outside. I can actually run a faster 5k on a treadmill than I can even run in a competitive 5K. On the treadmill, I can usually run about one minute faster than outside.

Well, there is another point. If you are woman, you don't necessarily want to be running some trails at 5 am or at dusk or even during broad daylight. I used to jog in college and I would get catcalls or people yelling comments or whatever. Plus people don't chain up their dogs and a lot of other reasons where running outside isn't a great option.

Forum List

Back