Any CB radioheads out there?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
I picked up this 4 Watt Cobra 19 Ultra IV and a Radio Shack 12 Volt power supply at a Goodwill store today for $6. I already had a couple CB antennas, so hooking it up was pretty easy. I also had two 5 Watt Radio Shack TRC-207 handheld CB radios collecting dust in the garage, so I put 10 AA batteries in one of them to test everything out. They work great and it's pretty cool. I wonder what the range is on these radios? I have two Baofeng UV-82 handheld radios that I programmed to be used as police scanners, but I disabled the transmit on them to keep from getting in trouble. You need a ham operator's license to legally use them. But I'm saving them for the possibility of the crap hitting the fan.

Do people even use CB radios any more?

CB1.jpg

CB2.jpg

CB3.jpg

My Uncle drove long haul for MANY years, it was the only way for him economically stay in touch with my aunt :)

I used to do it a bit back from the mid 80s to the early 90s. I actually used to use a variable transformer from an electric train set, and hook it up to old CB radios I used to get from garage sales, etc, and then get them about two volts in it excess over the standard 12. That gave me a little more power but didn't burn out the unit or call any attention to me from the FCC, as any brand new state of the art base station was better than what I had anyway. I used to chat with some of the bus drivers who drove for the school. One time in my sophomore or Junior year in high school there was a really bad snow storm so instead of turning on the TV or the FM radio to hear closings, I simply called up my bus driver on the CB and she told me to go back to sleep because there was no school that day!

My uncle was always into that stuff. Truckers bored out out their trees just looking for a soul to chat with. We have too much stimuli nowadays and it keeps the discussions on the periphreal too often.

My uncle was always into that stuff. Truckers bored out out their trees just looking for a soul to chat with. We have too much stimuli nowadays and it keeps the discussions on the periphreal too often.

Well God bless those Canadian truckers who protested your blackface PM last year. If we'd had the balls we should have had, we would have done the same thing to our potatohead in DC.

:beer:

I used to have one in an old truck I had. I seldom used it because it seemed like every time I had it on when on a highway some psycho killer type conversation always seemed to be initiated by some trucker who would see my antennae and call me up. Ony reason I didn't rip it out was because my dad would borrow the truck to go hunting from time to time and he would listen in to see what the hunt clubs in the area were up to.

I've had some good ones over the years.

The best IMO...

Uniden Grant with Single Sideband...a great radio from the golden age of CB.

Any Uniden from the President line should be bought. Not sure about the new stuff.

Galaxy 33 HP... my backup radio.

Any Galaxy 33, 44, 66, 77 or 88 should be bought. The 99 is dealers choice.

Connex Mirage 3300 HP. Had this one for at least a decade...probably longer.

There's a 4300 HP out that I hear is great.

Just about any Connex will be fine.

Cobra 29s are good.

If you're going to run a radio...get one with RF gain.

Forum List

Back