Another storm

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
Tropical Storm Jeanne Forms in Atlantic

20 minutes ago

MIAMI - Tropical Storm Jeanne formed Tuesday in the Atlantic Ocean Tuesday and was expected to hit Puerto Rico with strong wind and heavy rain by Wednesday morning.

The National Hurricane Center (news - web sites) posted tropical storm warnings for Puerto Rico, the U.S. and British Virgin Islands, St. Kitts and Nevis.

Jeanne could be packing sustained wind of 60 mph and drop 9 inches of rain when it hits Puerto Rico, center forecasters said.

"It's not the same as Ivan, but it is certainly threatening weather," forecaster Rafael Mojica said.

At 2 p.m. EDT, Jeanne had top sustained wind of nearly 50 mph and was expected to strengthen. It was centered about 100 southeast of St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands and was moving west-northwest at about 10 mph.

Forecasters said the storm could hit or skim past the Dominican Republic on Thursday, Haiti on Friday and move over the eastern tip of Cuba or into the Bahamas by Saturday. There is a chance the storm could hit Florida early next week. Mojica said it could become a Category 1 hurricane with sustained wind topping 74 mph by Saturday.

Jeanne is the 10th named storm to form in the Atlantic this tropical storm season, which began June 1. Three have hit Florida, and Ivan is threatening to hit the Gulf Coast this week.

Hurricanes Charley and Frances caused up to $20 billion in damage to Florida and killed at least 50 people. Tropical Storm Bonnie caused minimal damage when it struck the Panhandle.

UsaPride said:
What in the world is going on?? This is horrible!!

Signs of the time my friend. signs of the time.

Hopefully this storm wont be that bad though.

If you believe the Farmer's Almanac, it's only going to get worse. According to them, the East Coast is going to get clobbered this winter.

CSM said:
If you believe the Farmer's Almanac, it's only going to get worse. According to them, the East Coast is going to get clobbered this winter.

I've actually never read up on the Farmers Almanac. How close have they come with their predictions in the past?

lilcountriegal said:
I've actually never read up on the Farmers Almanac. How close have they come with their predictions in the past?

I read some place that they are running about 50-50. That's why I said "If you believe....". Not really sure of the statistics, though.

141753W5.gif

Forum List

Back