Another scapegoat...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
...A 17 year sergeant...a veteran of the First Gulf War, is being cout-martialed on charges of auto theft.

The crime...? A week before Dubbyuh declared major combat operations in Iraq "complete", this sergeant commandeered an SUV from a local sheik. Why did he commandeer the vehicle? Two of the 4 HUMVEE's in his squad were broken down, and he required the extra set of wheels to transport needed equipment. This case would probably never have been noticed had the sheik not been one whose favor the sargeant's commanders were cultivating.

So, now he stands accused of auto theft, and faces a dishnorable discharge and 15 years in prison. A 17 year veteran who was only trying to carry out his mission. Is this bullshit or what?

There is a bit more to the story than you are telling here. While I can totally relate to what the sergeant was trying to do, there are certain procedures and processes that are required when "comandeering" any civilian property in a war zone. He did not follow the outlined procedures so what he did was flat out wrong.

Your post is disingenous and I suspect the point is that Bush is somehow responsible for prosecuting a soldier who failed to follow orders. In other places and other times, the good sergeant would probably have gotten away with it (maybe), but in this politically correct environment that today's soldier has to operate in, such acts are ALWAYS met with disciplinary action.

I also suspect that there are others who will try to portray this incident as an example of US soldiers abusing Iraqi citizens. I am almost certain that the terrorist propaganda machine will do exactly that.

It seems to me that no matter what the outcome, this incident is not good for the soldiers or civilians involved, not good for the military, and not good for the administration. This group of soldier's mistake will be used by some people to try to prove that Bush and his administration is somehow more morally deviant than Atilla the Hun.

The bottom line is that this sergeant should have known better, should have followed orders, etc. It makes no difference if the victim was a shiek or one of Iraq's poorest.

Bullypulpit said:
...A 17 year sergeant...a veteran of the First Gulf War, is being cout-martialed on charges of auto theft.

The crime...? A week before Dubbyuh declared major combat operations in Iraq "complete", this sergeant commandeered an SUV from a local sheik. Why did he commandeer the vehicle? Two of the 4 HUMVEE's in his squad were broken down, and he required the extra set of wheels to transport needed equipment. This case would probably never have been noticed had the sheik not been one whose favor the sargeant's commanders were cultivating.

So, now he stands accused of auto theft, and faces a dishnorable discharge and 15 years in prison. A 17 year veteran who was only trying to carry out his mission. Is this bullshit or what?

What the heck do you care if a soldier completes his mission or not. you are the one supporting the guy who voted to put the troops in combat and then voted against supporting them there.

Forum List

Back