Another reason why I'll never trade my 2016 Mazda6...

I have a black 2019 Jetta GLI. For those who don't know, the GLI is a model that shares a drivetrain with the (in)famous GTI, so it is quite a nice performer, for a FWD car.

1680531518626.jpeg

The main reason why I like the stick shift is that it allows me to control the engine and gears, and while it is possible to do that with many of today's better automatics, it's never quite as good.

But I test drove a Tesla Model 3 the other day, and I have been persuaded that for someone like me, the Tesla is a better option. With the Model 3, you have complete "one-pedal driving." That is to say, if you want to use the motor to control your speed on a long downhill, you have it. If you want to maximize acceleration, it is automatic. If you want to slow down to a stop without using your brakes, you can do that. It's all done with one pedal. And you can significantly control your "fuel" economy by driving prudently, with one exception: Highway driving at what most consider "normal" speeds (75) is the least efficient way of traveling with an E-car.

Up until I drove the Tesla, I found myself saying that it would be difficult for me to find a car that I would like driving more than my Jetta, but now I've found it. I'll probably wait a year before taking the plunge, but I see a Model 3 Long Range (which they are not selling right now) in my future...probably used.

The thing about the Tesla is not only is it an electric vehicle, but it also has styling that makes it a better looking car than most American and European cars, and is comparable with many sports cars. Japanese cars have never been particularly stylish, think Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, Mitsubishi, etc., but they are dependable as hell. You get all the speed and acceleration of any sports car with a Tesla.

Styling is not a factor with Tesla's. I don't think anyone cares what they look like; Elon certainly doesn't. Will they re-design the now-decade-old Model S, to make it more stylish? I doubt it. As long as it is aerodynamic they are satisfied with it, and so is the buying public.

Forum List

Back