Another Government Shutdown?

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
Another Government Shutdown?
Posted by Dan Pfeiffer on September 10, 2010 at 10:33 PM EDT

Speaking to hundreds of activists gathered at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington for the Faith and Freedom Conference, Rep. Lynn Westmoreland (R-Ga.) urged the audience to stand with House Republicans when they go toe-to-toe with President Barack Obama.
Westmoreland said his caucus – presuming it takes control of the House come November – aims to pass spending bills that Obama is likely to veto. He predicted Republicans would not be able to override such a veto, creating a standoff that could cause Congress to grind to a halt.
“If the government shuts down, we want you with us,” he said.
The congressman recalled a similar shutdown that took place in 1995, when Newt Gingrich – also a speaker at the conference – was serving as House speaker.
The White House Blog | The White House ... t-shutdown

United States federal government shutdown of 1995

On November 14, major portions of the federal government became inoperative. The Clinton administration later released figures detailing the costs of the shutdown, which included losses of up to $800 million in salaries paid to furloughed employees. The first budget shutdown was resolved with the passage of a temporary spending bill, but the underlying disagreement between Gingrich and Clinton was not resolved, resulting in the second shutdown.
DeLay writes in his book No Retreat, No Surrender:[3]

"He told a room full of reporters that he forced the shutdown because Clinton had rudely made him and Bob Dole sit at the back of Air Force One...Newt had been careless to say such a thing, and now the whole moral tone of the shutdown had been lost. What had been a noble battle for fiscal sanity began to look like the tirade of a spoiled child. The revolution, I can tell you, was never the same."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... wn_of_1995
:lol:

Ah yes, I remember that nonsense from Gingrich about sitting in the back of the plane. It was followed shortly by picture taken by a Time reporter of Gingrich and Clinton having a serious discussion aboard that flight...in the front of the plane.

Once you've served divorce papers to a cancer-stricken wife in the hospital, I guess your bar for feeling shame is pretty damn high.

Just another reason to oppose centralized planning, all it takes is another Ginrich/Clinton duo for it to happen again and who suffers....those caught on the government entitlement titty sucking reservation.

Nothing would please me more, short of everything inside the beltway disappearing into a humongous sink hole, than for the partisan bickering to reach shut down proportions.

So Democrats refuse to provide a budget as they are required to by law, which will trigger a government shut down and that's somehow Republican fault?

October surprise anyone? I think this is going to backfire on the Democrats big time.

We dont need the election. Democrats are going to shut it down now.

Forum List

Back