Another day, another wall street record. Dow Breaks 16,000 Before Late-Day Pullback.

Sallow

The Big Bad Wolf.
Oct 4, 2010
New York City
Dow Breaks 16,000 Before Late-Day Pullback; Tyson, Boeing & Sony Among Climbers

Stocks broke new ground today with the Dow moving past the 16,000-point threshold during intraday trading, before pulling back to finish at 15,975. The S&P 500 also eclipsed 1,800 before retreating to 1,791, ending fractionally lower for the day. The initial gains in the market seemed to have been erased after billionaire investor Carl Icahn warned he was "very cautious" on equities, and feared stocks could suffer a "big drop." Market technicians suggested the market could see selling as stocks surpassed milestones like 16,000 on the Dow and 1,800 on the S&P 500.
Dow Breaks 16,000 Before Late-Day Pullback; Tyson, Boeing & Sony Among Climbers | Hot Stock Minute - Yahoo Finance

I know, I know..gloom and doom..right conserverinos?

16K bitches.. :lol:

Acting smug only makes you out to be an ignorant fool. The market is a sham, propped up by endless money printing. At some point the party will end and it will hurt really bad. Or the economy will collapse when a loaf of Wonder Bread costs $100.

Stocks broke new ground today with the Dow moving past the 16,000-point threshold during intraday trading, before pulling back to finish at 15,975. The S&P 500 also eclipsed 1,800 before retreating to 1,791, ending fractionally lower for the day. The initial gains in the market seemed to have been erased after billionaire investor Carl Icahn warned he was "very cautious" on equities, and feared stocks could suffer a "big drop." Market technicians suggested the market could see selling as stocks surpassed milestones like 16,000 on the Dow and 1,800 on the S&P 500.
Dow Breaks 16,000 Before Late-Day Pullback; Tyson, Boeing & Sony Among Climbers | Hot Stock Minute - Yahoo Finance

That's MISTER conserverino to you, bub.

Anyhow... what Pennywiseass said. :thup:

A bubble is something that grows, yet is empty inside. If we have no gains in manufacturing, no new and major exciting industries, unemployment is at 7.5%, gov't is $17 trillion+ in debt, healthcare rollout disastrous, and a completely dysfunctional Congress who couldn't pass a bill if their lives depended on it, what real things - exactly - are driving this burst of Wall Street energy?

What did the stock market look like before the 1929 collapse? What about the 2008 collapse? Was there a rise?

Until someone can explain what is driving this, I'm going to assume it's just another bubble.

:lol: man oh man.......

middle class languishing, poverty at its highest level in decades, gdp stumbling along at 2.3% annual, LPR at 35 year lows, unemployment for blacks 13%, but hey:cool: the feds churning $85Bn a month so banks can sit on a quarter pt. at the Fed....and the market can go crazy, Booyah!!!! Alls forgiven!!

Lots of VALUE there eh Sallow? Real bargains.. If you like industry shrinkage, consolidation, mergers and new fads like Groupon and Twitter.

Remind me again??? What is it that this COUNTRY MAKES ANYMORE?

Well, though I agree Groupon is likely a fad, Twitter most likely will have some staying power in my opinion.

middle class languishing, poverty at its highest level in decades, gdp stumbling along at 2.3% annual, LPR at 35 year lows, unemployment for blacks 13%, but hey:cool: the feds churning $85Bn a month so banks can sit on a quarter pt. at the Fed....and the market can go crazy, Booyah!!!! Alls forgiven!!

Incredible isn't it?
I had hope for Sallow a year ago or so, thought maybe he was capable of critical thinking - and would get past the partisanship of the foolhardy youth.
But alas. He is no better than TDM, rdean or BDBop.
Any liberal who would write a thread today praising the markets is an absolute idiot.

Incredible isn't it?
I had hope for Sallow a year ago or so, thought maybe he was capable of critical thinking - and would get past the partisanship of the foolhardy youth.
But alas. He is no better than TDM, rdean or BDBop.
Any liberal who would write a thread today praising the markets is an absolute idiot.

he wasn't like that in year one.....:doubt:

oh and Geithner's heading for private equity at warburg.....watch, not a peep.

Lots of VALUE there eh Sallow? Real bargains.. If you like industry shrinkage, consolidation, mergers and new fads like Groupon and Twitter.

Remind me again??? What is it that the people of this COUNTRY MAKES ANYMORE?
Actually the US is still a world beater in manufacturing output. The downside is that in about 15 months the imputed salary for some robots will be less than $2/hr in current dollars. So, that means tens of millions of unemployed Chinese and 10-100 thousand permanent manufacturing jobs in the US at best. I would expect a net loss of jobs for the US as well.

FCT, the US is the only major country without a Value Added Tax so when complex, working but technically obsolete capital equipment is sold the US is effectively the only market in the world. Better yet as imports, this lower cost investment strategy is not added to net national investment but rather is subtracted from net exports. I'll let Ex-Pat or Toro explain the consequences, if they think they can. As to me, I expect continuing job base loss.

Remind me again??? What is it that the people of this COUNTRY MAKES ANYMORE?
Actually the US is still a world beater in manufacturing output. The downside is that in about 15 months the imputed salary for some robots will be less than $2/hr in current dollars. So, that means tens of millions of unemployed Chinese and 10-100 thousand permanent manufacturing jobs in the US at best. I would expect a net loss of jobs for the US as well.

FCT, the US is the only major country without a Value Added Tax so when complex, working but technically obsolete capital equipment is sold the US is effectively the only market in the world. Better yet as imports, this lower cost investment strategy is not added to net national investment but rather is subtracted from net exports. I'll let Ex-Pat or Toro explain the consequences, if they think they can. As to me, I expect continuing job base loss.

suggestion friend...take a look at those "manufacturing" statistics. Specifically what is counted as "manufacturing". Especially assembly work...which is counted as manufacturing, but obviously it is not.

ON a related note, I read this the other day. I suspect it's too advanced for 'people' like SHallow. But some of you might enjoy the read.

Andrew Huszar: Confessions of a Quantitative Easer - WSJ.com

By ANDREW HUSZAR
Nov. 11, 2013 7:00 p.m. ET
I can only say: I'm sorry, America. As a former Federal Reserve official, I was responsible for executing the centerpiece program of the Fed's first plunge into the bond-buying experiment known as quantitative easing. The central bank continues to spin QE as a tool for helping Main Street. But I've come to recognize the program for what it really is: the greatest backdoor Wall Street bailout of all time.

Five years ago this month, on Black Friday, the Fed launched an unprecedented shopping spree. By that point in the financial crisis, Congress had already passed legislation, the Troubled Asset Relief Program, to halt the U.S. banking system's free fall. Beyond Wall Street, though, the economic pain was still soaring. In the last three months of 2008 alone, almost two million Americans would lose their jobs.

5MM booted from their insurance, full time is now 30 hours week, UE like the FDR Depression, yeah perfect time for the stock market to set records

The Fed is propping the stock market to help the 1%'er

...assembly work...which is counted as manufacturing, but obviously it is not...
Ah. So any factory that's got an assembly line is "obviously" not a manufacturing plant.

We may not agree but at least I can now understand why you think America doesn't have any manufacturing plants. Then again, the thinking now would be that the U.S. never did have any.

Acting smug only makes you out to be an ignorant fool. The market is a sham, propped up by endless money printing. At some point the party will end and it will hurt really bad. Or the economy will collapse when a loaf of Wonder Bread costs $100.

Well no..

It's part of this system we call "capitalism". In fact..it's at the direct center of it.

It's meant to raise investment "capital" (as in capitalism) so that companies can expand.

It's also a leading indicator of the health of an economy.

By the way..the government can issue money. It's in the constitution. Check it out.

Forum List

Back