Another Boneheaded Romney Delusion

Aug 7, 2012
Romney has said people who don't have health insurance get free health care! WRONG! :lame2:

If politicians are meaning to say that women have universal access to delivery care, then I suppose there's an element of truth to that. But there's no guarantee of prenatal care in the emergency department.

If they are saying that we have universal access if we're acutely having a heart attack, then I suppose there's truth to that as well. But there's no such access for lipid panels, stress tests or prescriptions for cholesterol medications that might help you avoid the heart attack in the first place.

If you're acutely obstructed by massively advanced colon cancer, it's likely you can get emergency surgery to end the blockage. But your cancer is likely too far advanced to cure at that point. Moreover, you're not going to get chemotherapy in the emergency department nor could you have gotten the colonoscopy that might have detected the cancer far earlier.

You can't get preventive care in the emergency department. You can't get screened for a host of disorders. You can't get treatment for your depression there or really for any chronic mental disorders. You can't get help with your child's autism, ADHD or developmental delay.

And even if you could, it wouldn't be free.

That's the second and perhaps more misunderstood part of this emergency department misconception. The costs of treatment in the emergency room are not quickly dismissed or written off. You'll get that emergent care, but you'll also be charged for it.

Last edited:
No one, but NO ONE is EVER turned away.... I know... I work in the healthcare industry.

We ALL have Healthcare here in America... YEP, even the illegals.

Make no mistake... Im not saying this is a good thing, but healthcare is not the problem.

How we pay for it, is another thing.

Frankly, if you are not a citizen and you can not pay for it... GO HOME!

(Not catastrophic stuff... Im not an animal)

Romney has said people who don't have health insurance get free health care! WRONG! :lame2:

If politicians are meaning to say that women have universal access to delivery care, then I suppose there's an element of truth to that. But there's no guarantee of prenatal care in the emergency department.

If they are saying that we have universal access if we're acutely having a heart attack, then I suppose there's truth to that as well. But there's no such access for lipid panels, stress tests or prescriptions for cholesterol medications that might help you avoid the heart attack in the first place.

If you're acutely obstructed by massively advanced colon cancer, it's likely you can get emergency surgery to end the blockage. But your cancer is likely too far advanced to cure at that point. Moreover, you're not going to get chemotherapy in the emergency department nor could you have gotten the colonoscopy that might have detected the cancer far earlier.

You can't get preventive care in the emergency department. You can't get screened for a host of disorders. You can't get treatment for your depression there or really for any chronic mental disorders. You can't get help with your child's autism, ADHD or developmental delay.

That's the second and perhaps more misunderstood part of this emergency department misconception. The costs of treatment in the emergency room are not quickly dismissed or written off. You'll get that emergent care, but you'll also be charged for it.
It's true!..
My wife's sister who has not worked for quite some time has a degenerative heart condition. Her care is being fully funded by the State and Federal government.
She has NO insurance.
I had to go the ER a few years ago for an idiotic self inflicted injury. There were about 20 people in there. Save for myself and three others, I swear the rest were indigent.
Heck, there was a story in the paper here a few years ago about how the paramedic service was being abused. There are people who actually just needed a ride into the downtown area and would call for an ambulance by faking a heart problem or a fake asthma attack...Shit people would call an ambulance for a sore throat or panic attack.
Of course they don't pay the bill.
Do uninsured people get free medical care? You bet your ass they do.
And guess what? There is ZERO incentive for these people to buy Obama care. And they will never pay any fines because they have no money nor do they ever want to work so they could buy insurance or pay the fine.
ACA is just like any other government entitlement. Just another rape of the taxpayers.

• Banned
No one, but NO ONE is EVER turned away.... I know... I work in the healthcare industry.

It isn't free in the emergency room as Romney says, however. Also, if you have no insurance you can't get most prevatative health care. My graddaughter's parents can't afford health care insurance so when she needed shots for school (kindergarten), they had to use Ronald McDonald free vaccines and physical check up to get her in school. Her father had a gallbladder attack about a year ago and the emergency room visit (without insurance) was billed to them to the tune of $12,000+.

So it isn't what Mitt Romney says it is at all!

• Banned

It's true!..
My wife's sister who has not worked for quite some time has a degenerative heart condition. Her care is being fully funded by the State and Federal government.
She has NO insurance.
I had to go the ER a few years ago for an idiotic self inflicted injury. There were about 20 people in there. Save for myself and three others, I swear the rest were indigent.
Heck, there was a story in the paper here a few years ago about how the paramedic service was being abused. There are people who actually just needed a ride into the downtown area and would call for an ambulance by faking a heart problem or a fake asthma attack...Shit people would call an ambulance for a sore throat or panic attack.
Of course they don't pay the bill.
Do uninsured people get free medical care? You bet your ass they do.
And guess what? There is ZERO incentive for these people to buy Obama care. And they will never pay any fines because they have no money nor do they ever want to work so they could buy insurance or pay the fine.
ACA is just like any other government entitlement. Just another rape of the taxpayers.

You still get billed. Whether or not you pay it is another matter. It is NOT free as Romney says. If you don't pay and you haven't given a false name, etc. then it will go on either your criminal record (if you did) or on your credit which will ruin your life in other ways by not being able to qualify for loans, home purchases, credit cards, often these days even renting an apartment. There is nothing free about it. You pay one way or the other. If you don't care about your credit, then I suppose it is free in that way.

It isn't free in the emergency room as Romney says, however. Also, if you have no insurance you can't get most prevatative health care. My graddaughter's parents can't afford health care insurance so when she needed shots for school (kindergarten), they had to use Ronald McDonald free vaccines and physical check up to get her in school. Her father had a gallbladder attack about a year ago and the emergency room visit (without insurance) was billed to them to the tune of $12,000+.

Really my beef is not with them... I am more or less ranting on illelgals that use our delivery rooms as personal nurseries and our ER's for routine healthcare and oue ambulances as taxis.

Sorry if I came across like that.

You'll get that emergent care, but you'll also be charged for it.

Yep I read it... and NOPE they don't pay for it. :eusa_hand:

WE DO..!

Maybe they don't pay but they get billed and it goes on their credit record, damaging their credit. One way or the other they "pay".

Ummm... they are illegally here... you really think they care about credit?

They pay with cash money... I know several personally, and they have cash.
They also know we wont turn them away.

We are such suckers.

Got to go... Ambien is kicking in good :2up:

Really my beef is not with them... I am more or less ranting on illelgals that use our delivery rooms as personal nurseries and our ER's for routine healthcare and oue ambulances as taxis.

Sorry if I came across like that.

I agree with your beef. And many people do take advantage of our emergency rooms who shouldn't be in this country in the first place. But hospitals will TRY to collect so it isn't free. I'm sure illegals can't be found that easily nor do they have legit names & addresses to report it under to credit bureaus but most citizens do not get care free.

That statement isn’t untrue. But it leaves out an awful lot. ERs are great if you need urgent help with a major medical problem: You’ve had a heart attack, you’ve been in an accident, whatever. And, yes, hospitals will generally treat you regardless of insurance status, if only because the law requires it. As a condition of accepting Medicare money, hospitals must provide stabilizing or life-saving treatment. But they will not provide basic, ongoing care. They will charge a lot of money for their services. In many cases they will do their best to collect on outstanding bills, even if that means using techniques that even the retail industry eschews as overly harsh. And sometimes, as Sarah Kliff notes today, hospitals find ways to avoid providing care in the first place.

LINK

WE DO..!

Maybe they don't pay but they get billed and it goes on their credit record, damaging their credit. One way or the other they "pay".

Ummm... they are illegally here... you really think they care about credit?

They pay with cash money... I know several personally, and they have cash.
They also know we wont turn them away.

We are such suckers.

Got to go... Ambien is kicking in good :2up:

I didn't know you had only illegals in mind. I addressed it in my last post to you. I agree with you about the illegals. I'm going to take some trazadone and try to sleep soon (I have insomnia). Nite!

You'll get that emergent care, but you'll also be charged for it.

WE DO..!

Nobody gives a shit about their credit history anymore.
Even people with money don't care.
A civil judgement would at one time scare thew hell out of people. Now if they owe money to say, a contractor that performed work in their home. The homeowner makes up a story and refuses to pay. The contractor threatens a suit to recover. The homeowner laughs and tells the contractor, "you may win a suit if an when it ever does go to court, but you'll never get your money. Even a mechanic's Lien, which was a sure fire weapon, makes people laugh.
People who have very little are not concerned with a credit history.

Forum List

Back