Another bike for my wife...

Jarlaxle

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2012
New England
My wife likes her Hyo Comet...but wants a fairing for longer rides. Bearing that in mind, just about everything else is wide open. I've been of little help, since I know scooters better than motorcycles.

Her requirements:
Not an enormous, heavy bike. (No Goldwings!)
Not a sportbike.
Full fairing with good wind protection.
Medium-sized (400-800cc) engine of any configuration...liquid cooling and EFI nice but not required.
ABS would also be nice, but not required.
No Euro bikes. (No nearby service places we trust.)
At least some storage.
Not costing a fortune.
Not needing weird maintenance/service/parts would be nice. (No needing to ship stuff from East Jabib for a brake job or pulling the engine to adjust the valves, please! Note this rules out a BMW C650GT scoot.)

The two front-runners now are a Kawasaki Concours 1000 and, the one she seems truly intrigued by, a Honda Pacific Coast.

think that the PC is long outa production isn't it ?? Same thing with the Conquors . Both are nice ,I'd get the KAW of the 2 but the PC is , well , I'd call it practical . I never had interest in either but both should be practical , fast enough and reliable .

The Pacific Coast ran 1989-90 and 1992-98. The Concours 1000 ran 1986-2006.

She is leaning toward the PC for a few reasons...more legroom, more storage (it needs to be seen to be believed!), a truly impressive (and devoted) online community, easier maintenance (only two carbs, hydraulic valve lifters and cam chain tensioners)...and every report has it being truly bulletproof even by Honda motorcycle standards!

oh ok , community and support makes all the difference I suppose . I remember the PC from about the time you mention .

I have owned two PC's and an ST1100. The ONLY complaint one can have about the PC is that it might be underpowered for 2-up riding on the highway, but I gather that wouldn't be an issue. It is very maneuverable, has great weather protection, and gets excellent gas mileage. Very easy to keep clean.

The Kaw has a relatively high seat and it has a bit of a vibration issue at some engine speeds, but obviously, performance is outstanding. If the seat height is not too high on a Concours I would also look at an ST1100, which can be had for around $3,500 and is also bullet-proof. I assume you know that the ST1100 was the bike of choice for police departments in Europe for many years, so you know it cruises very well (called the Pan European over there)

I'm surprised you are not steering her to a Burgman 400.

The ST1100 was mentioned...but her biggest complaint is that it (like the Concours) is 100+lbs heavier than a PC. (I suspect it's the bigger engines.) She's not especially enthusiastic about a 750lb bike. Also, the ST seems to go for substantially more than a PC, even for the same year and condition.

She has a line on a 98 PC locally...one owner, all records since new. If it checks out, I think she's buying it.

Can't go wrong with a PC800. I always wanted to add a stereo to mine, but never got around to it.

I have a mental problem and a spousal problem. What I really want is to have about 4 bikes, but I don't have the space for it and my wife doesn't have the tolerance for it.

So I will get a bike that I like, then get bored with it and start looking for something else.

I sold my last PC800 when i got a bug up my ass to have a "real" motorcycle - a V-twin cruiser with loud pipes and all that stuff. So I traded the PC800 for a Kawa Nomad. Then I wanted a sport-touring bike, so I bought an ST1100. Then I saw an ad for a Kaw Vulcan 2000LT with 1400 miles on it for $6000, and I couldn't pass it up. Then I saw an ad for a Goldwing and talked the owner into an even-up trade - that's what I'm riding now. But I'm looking to trade again for a Yamaha R.S. Venture. Because I like the look and the sound of them (with aftermarket pipes).

If I COULD have 4 bikes, one of them would be a PC800, one would be a Sport Tourer, one would be a mega-cruiser, and I would have to be a quasi-sport bike: a VFR800. Red.

I have one modern bike , its a carbed 2008 Triumph Bonneville , nice bike , fast enough at about 110 mph , maybe a bit more , Classic good looks and sound with proper mufflers , nice around town or on dirt roads , will cruise at 80 but better at 65 because of no windscreen . It should go coast to coast like my old 69 Triumph 650 tr6c or my Zuke gs 1100 did . I'd like an old Goldwing , 74 I think which I think was the first year 1000cc . If looking for another , maybe an old Guzzi , Ambassador think it was] . Course , there are lots of old bikes that I'd like to own , just not practical to have more than I have !!

Well...she bought it. 1998 Pacific Coast, new fork seals, tires, and brakes, top case (painted to match), and heated grips, with 68,000 miles.

In my area, a PC800 as described would sell for about $2,300. There is a white one for sale now on Craigslist for $2,500 with a lot fewer miles.

Forum List

Back