Another attempt to use tragedy to justify stupidity

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
More proof that we let the inmates run the asylum.

A top House Democrat said the attack on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords
(D-Ariz.) should change how members of Congress are screened at airports.

“I really believe that that is the place where we feel the most ill at ease, is going through airports,” Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.), who serves as assistant minority leader in the House, said on "Fox News Sunday."

Clyburn called for the Transportation Security Administration, which administers airport security checkpoints, to interact “a little better” with the Capitol Hill Police.

“We’ve had some incidents where TSA authorities think that congresspeople should be treated like everybody else,” he said. “Well, the fact of the matter is, we are held to a higher standard in so many other areas, and I think we need to take a hard look at exactly how the TSA interact with members of Congress.”

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) was shot in the head at close range outside a grocery store in Tucson, Ariz., while holding a public event on Saturday. She remains in critical condition in an Tucson hospital. Gabe Zimmerman, a 30-year-old aide to the congresswoman, was one of six people killed in the attack.

Noting that local law enforcement were installed outside his South Carolina home after the attack on Giffords, Clyburn said the House may need to “beef up the funding” for individual members’ budgets so they can coordinate improved security arrangements with local police.

House Dem calls for 'beefed up' security, special treatment for members by TSA - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

There will be all kinds of things like this over the next few weeks. We've already seen the people who blame the internet and want controls in place. The anti-gun crowd are making their standard noises. I count this as just another one like those.

Forum List

Back