Another 15% rise in health insurance this year

Gadawg73

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2009
Georgia
Just like the last 15 years.
My policy for very healthy, no prior history is now over $1000.00 a month for my family of THREE. 5K Deductible.
Add in my HSA that is 18K I pay this year. I make good $$ so I have it.
Folks, this system is unsustainable. My nephew is 27, self employed and making 40K a year and he has a daughter with bad allergies. He can not afford his policy of $1200 a month, 5K deductible, and had to drop it. With co-pays he paid over 15k last year.
The
Group health care through insurance is the worst possible system to deliver health care to a working nation.

My policy for very healthy, no prior history is now over $1000.00 a month for my family of THREE. 5K Deductible.
Folks, this system is unsustainable. My nephew is 27, self employed and making 40K a year and he has a daughter with bad allergies. He can not afford his policy of $1200 a month, 5K deductible, and had to drop it. With co-pays he paid over 15k last year.
The
Group health care through insurance is the worst possible system to deliver health care to a working nation.

And based on the Obama care system it will continue to rise. Even the administration finally admitted that their system would cause rates to rise.

The

And based on the Obama care system it will continue to rise. Even the administration finally admitted that their system would cause rates to rise.

You are right. The Obama care system was MORE OF THE SAME.
Group health care third party payee system where THE INSURANCE COMPANY, NOT YOU pays the bill has to go.
Does your car insurance pay for oil changes and tires?
Does your employer pay your car and homeowners insurance?
Benefit health care has runied health care.
The 15% rise each year over the last 15 years: WTF did that have to do with Obama?
Health care was 6% of GNP in 1965. It is 18% now: WTF did that have to do with Obama?
In 2007 55% of ALL HEALTH CARE DOLLARS went to pay for chronic diseases of 4% of the American UNHEALTHY population: WTF did that have to do with Obama?
How does it work 17 years from now when the average health care premium per family IS 48k A YEAR?
And how does it work in 24 years when health care costs ARE 40% OF GNP?
Obama or not that is what the average HAS BEEN FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS.
WAKE UP AMERICA.

The

Republicans will never help the middle class. Sorry, people are on their own.

The number one cause of bankruptcy is medical bills.

The year before Obama took office, health care shot up 30%.

The CEO of Cigna made over 100 million dollars in one year. How many insurance policies does it take to pay a single 100 million dollar salary?

Insurance companies are true "death panels".

At least Obama tried to get help for the American people. Insurance companies don't employ doctors, nurses, own hospitals. They exist simply as parasites on this country. They are "middle men". They are not needed. They are one of the corporate groups who have the Republican Party in their collective pockets. Their only goal is to squeeze as much money as they can out of the American people and with the support of the Republican party, there is plenty more money to skim.

"Folks, this system is unsustainable."

Yes, Gadawg, it is the goal of the progressives in general, and our president in particualar, to succeed in that endeavor.

Umm the healthcare "reform" that we wound up was nothing like Obama started out to get.
what we wound up with was the result of compromise because of lobbyist pressures.

and as I predicted before the negotiations even started that we would wind up with nothing that benefitted pretty much no one except the insurance companies and the health care industry.

Last edited:
Third party pay programs are destroying the health care system. Consumers have no incentive to shop around - they go to the Doctor or hospital and "someone else" pays. They have no idea what anything costs - beyond the co-pay. It doesn't stop there either. Drug manufacturer's introduce hundreds of new drugs each year, they advertise them heavily on TV, and consumers demand these new drugs. Why not? "Someone else" is paying.

Equipment manufacturer's make expensive machines, publicize the benefits, pay a few lobbyists to get it "medicare approved" and Doctors demand the tests these new machines provide. Why not? "Someone else" is paying.

The "Scooter Store" will get you a new scooter to drag your morbidly obese adult-onset diabetic ass around- why not? It's free! "Someone else" is paying. Need cathaters? They're free too!!! Need needles, diabetes testing supplies, ostomy supplies? It's free!!! "SOMEONE ELSE" is paying.......

Health care is my biggest tax. Especially considering the value I get in return.

The cost to me is up to $900 a month for me and my wife and neither of us has seen a doc or had a 'scrip in 2 years.

Yeah whine about health care , food and energy costs rising. If we had it your way we would never have an economic recovery...

;)

Health care is my biggest tax. Especially considering the value I get in return.

The cost to me is up to $900 a month for me and my wife and neither of us has seen a doc or had a 'scrip in 2 years.

The saddest part is that AVG-Wife & I will drop over $156,000 into the private insurance bureaucracy (ass-u-me-ing a 'stable' price averaging $1000 per month) between now and age 65, most likely making few claims and then about time we actually start needing to go in for work they're going to dump us on to Medicare and start making you guys pay.

Chumps. Every fucking one of us.

The saddest part is that AVG-Wife & I will drop over $156,000 into the private insurance bureaucracy (ass-u-me-ing a 'stable' price averaging $1000 per month) between now and age 65, most likely making few claims and then about time we actually start needing to go in for work they're going to dump us on to Medicare and start making you guys pay.

You should consider using an HSA plan. My wife and I use an HSA eligible plan with a $4500 deductible - we pay under $400/month and have excellent coverage if we need it. I fund my fully tax deductible HSA to the maximum every year and have more than enough to cover the deductible in the event a catastrophe happens. Personally, I believe that that is what insurance is for - catastrophes - not a runny nose, right?

I am spending the same as you annually, except for one HUGE difference - When I don't get sick I keep $6000 a year, every year. I have accumulated a fairly decent little pile of money over the years in my HSA. Tax sheltered CASH that I can use for practically any medical reason I want (there are very few restrictions). It is a very flexible program.

So the question is- Why pay are you paying $10,800 a year for insurance when you can spend $4800 on the "insurance part" and save/invest $6000 per year? Why give that money to the insurance company? Why be a chump when you don't have to be? :lol:

You should consider using an HSA plan. My wife and I use an HSA eligible plan with a $4500 deductible - we pay under $400/month and have excellent coverage if we need it. I fund my fully tax deductible HSA to the maximum every year and have more than enough to cover the deductible in the event a catastrophe happens. Personally, I believe that that is what insurance is for - catastrophes - not a runny nose, right?

I am spending the same as you annually, except for one HUGE difference - When I don't get sick I keep $6000 a year, every year. I have accumulated a fairly decent little pile of money over the years in my HSA. Tax sheltered CASH that I can use for practically any medical reason I want (there are very few restrictions). It is a very flexible program.

So the question is- Why pay are you paying $10,800 a year for insurance when you can spend $4800 on the "insurance part" and save/invest $6000 per year? Why give that money to the insurance company? Why be a chump when you don't have to be? :lol:

It's not the plan, it's the system.

I picked the most cost effective plan that my employer offers for worker bees who don't require constant doctoring.

The thing that sucks is knowing that the lions share of the $150,000 + that I'll be spending on 'health care' over the next 13 years will be going toward a corporate jet instead of being saved up for when I'm 65 and I start needing service.

When I'm old enough to need to see a doc on a regular basis YOU get to pay for my health care through Medicare as the private owners of my insurance bureaucracy fly their new Lear Jet to Aruba.

Chumps.

Every fucking one of us.

The

obie wan was gonna fix all that for ya wasn't he? oh,,, well,, nebbermind.

Third party pay programs are destroying the health care system. Consumers have no incentive to shop around - they go to the Doctor or hospital and "someone else" pays. They have no idea what anything costs - beyond the co-pay. It doesn't stop there either. Drug manufacturer's introduce hundreds of new drugs each year, they advertise them heavily on TV, and consumers demand these new drugs. Why not? "Someone else" is paying.

Equipment manufacturer's make expensive machines, publicize the benefits, pay a few lobbyists to get it "medicare approved" and Doctors demand the tests these new machines provide. Why not? "Someone else" is paying.

The "Scooter Store" will get you a new scooter to drag your morbidly obese adult-onset diabetic ass around- why not? It's free! "Someone else" is paying. Need cathaters? They're free too!!! Need needles, diabetes testing supplies, ostomy supplies? It's free!!! "SOMEONE ELSE" is paying.......

As a fiscal conservative to the core I agree. Great post.

My HSA, 5K deductible is $991 a month and I am 56. When I first opened it we paid $380 a month.
Because of government regulation HSA policies rise faster than any other private policy. I like the tax benefits but my agent, life time friend and honest to the core, advises HSAs are top heavy in required coverages by statute and expensive for the over 50 crowd.

The problem is complex; the answer is simple. The rise in costs come from both the insurance companies, but mostly from the providers themselves. Because insurance pays the bulk of all medical bills, providers have no reason to try to be competitive. In turn, costs continue to rise.

The answer is a very simple one. Quit making employers responsible for providing health insurance to employees. In fact, make it illegal. Only allow health insurance to be purchased by individuals and families. Now, everyone will say that would be catastrophic as nobody would be able to afford it. Isn't that funny. But guess what would happen? All those providers would begin to find ways to make it more affordable for everyone. Insurance companies would find ways to cut costs just to stay in business. Costs would come down drastically and more Americans could afford to pay for their own healthcare. On the back end, government could continue to pick up the tab for those who truly could not afford it.

It's not the plan, it's the system.

I picked the most cost effective plan that my employer offers for worker bees who don't require constant doctoring.

The thing that sucks is knowing that the lions share of the $150,000 + that I'll be spending on 'health care' over the next 13 years will be going toward a corporate jet instead of being saved up for when I'm 65 and I start needing service.

When I'm old enough to need to see a doc on a regular basis YOU get to pay for my health care through Medicare as the private owners of my insurance bureaucracy fly their new Lear Jet to Aruba.

Chumps.

Every fucking one of us.

If you picked the plan your employer offered and it is costing you$1000 per month put of pocket - you really are a chump. :lol:
You should at least investigate an HSA - you have nothing to lose.

My HSA, 5K deductible is $991 a month and I am 56. When I first opened it we paid $380 a month.
Because of government regulation HSA policies rise faster than any other private policy. I like the tax benefits but my agent, life time friend and honest to the core, advises HSAs are top heavy in required coverages by statute and expensive for the over 50 crowd.

I am 48 and I pay $398/month with a $4500 deductible and that includes my wife (who is older than me!).

Forum List

Back