Android & Window 7 w/64 bit OS question/complaint?

kiwiman127

Comfortably Moderate
Oct 19, 2010
4th Cleanest City in the World-Minneapolis
I recently bought a new Desktop PC with Windows 7, 64 bit OS. Just about the same time I upgraded my phone to the Samsung Epic 4G. One of the features is the ability to upload a ton of music from my Windows Media Player 11.
The problem is the fact that the Epic has only 32 bit driver software, I can download the driver software successfully but WMP doesn't recognize my phone. Actually, Samsung has no 64 bit USB driver software for any of their phones.
I "chatted" live with Samsung's tech support and also with a techie friend of mine and it appears that I'm shit-out-of-luck.
Any techies have any ideas?

I recently bought a new Desktop PC with Windows 7, 64 bit OS. Just about the same time I upgraded my phone to the Samsung Epic 4G. One of the features is the ability to upload a ton of music from my Windows Media Player 11.
The problem is the fact that the Epic has only 32 bit driver software, I can download the driver software successfully but WMP doesn't recognize my phone. Actually, Samsung has no 64 bit USB driver software for any of their phones.
I "chatted" live with Samsung's tech support and also with a techie friend of mine and it appears that I'm shit-out-of-luck.

Sorry, that's out of my league.

Easy answer, get a Google Music invite and instal the app on your phone. End of problem.

Hard answer. Set up Wifi synch between you phone and computer.

Difficult answer. Set up your old computer as a home media server and syc through it.

There is an app for almost everything. Instead of trying to sync directly use an app.

thats why vista most especially blows chunks....I am still on XP.

Win7 is not Vista. Yes it's still a Microsoft product but it beats Vista hands down in almost every category. If you do move up the problem you'll face is, there is (last I checked) no upgrade from XP to Win7 which means you'll have to do a clean install which in and of itself is a far better method than upgrading you existing OS anywho.

Yes Samsung has dropped the ball on this issue for a long time... only having 32 bit software for its phone syncing. At some point very soon they must start rolling out 64 bit software since all new computers pretty much sell with 64 bit OS.

But to your problem. Network sharing, or upload your music to an SD card and put it in your phone (provided it does have such a slot).

Win7 is not Vista. Yes it's still a Microsoft product but it beats Vista hands down in almost every category. If you do move up the problem you'll face is, there is (last I checked) no upgrade from XP to Win7 which means you'll have to do a clean install which in and of itself is a far better method than upgrading you existing OS anywho.

Word!.. using the upgrade method for an OS upgrade as big as XP to Vista or Win 7 should be banned.. clean install ftw!

Give me a good reason why someone who is your average-basic home computer user...should buy a new computer to replace one that is working fine, just to go from XP to Win7.

[crickets]

Why I run Linux

Give me a good reason why someone who is your average-basic home computer user...should buy a new computer to replace one that is working fine, just to go from XP to Win7.

[crickets]

Why I run Linux

Unfortunately most won't try Linux, they've either never heard of it, heard and believe all the Microsoft negative propaganda about it or a simply afraid to try something "new and unfamiliar".

[crickets]

Why I run Linux

Unfortunately most won't try Linux, they've either never heard of it, heard and believe all the Microsoft negative propaganda about it or a simply afraid to try something "new and unfamiliar".

The latter...fear of something unfamiliar.
I have turned a good dozen folks now onto Linux...but that was after I installed it for them and proved to them it is better.
After doing that, all of these folks now love Linux...love that there is no virus software choking the life out of it, love the ability to roam the net with impunity, love the 10-15 second boot up and shutdown times, love that a complete office suite comes with it, - most of all - LOVES the sheer fact that even though it was installed over a year ago...it still operates exactly as fast as it did the day it was installed.

[crickets]

Why I run Linux

The latter...fear of something unfamiliar.
I have turned a good dozen folks now onto Linux...but that was after I installed it for them and proved to them it is better.
After doing that, all of these folks now love Linux...love that there is no virus software choking the life out of it, love the ability to roam the net with impunity, love the 10-15 second boot up and shutdown times, love that a complete office suite comes with it, - most of all - LOVES the sheer fact that even though it was installed over a year ago...it still operates exactly as fast as it did the day it was installed.

Installing for people seems the only way to get many to try it.
A few years back I had a couple of co-workers going through the MS tech courses and all they did was bad mouth Linux and all open source. When I asked why they said this is what was being taught and "proven" by the MS instructors. When I told them I could put together a Power Point presentation showing MS in the same light their instructors were showing Linux and it was nothing more than data manipulation and selective presentation they became somewhat unapproachable on the subject. :lol:

[crickets]

Why I run Linux

[crickets]

Why I run Linux

Oh I know theres a difference, I use it at work, ( win 7) but I don't NEED IT. Never did.When I got laid off I bought a laptop for home, I had to get vista, I planned on using my certified XP disk to reformat , but I said hey let me try vista, , no go, it sux, period. NOW that I want to, the effing cd-player in the dell piece of crap I bought ( which was a 'top of the line' model, know longer works.....:lol:

I know XP is no longer sppted or shortly won't be, thats cool. I don't WANT to move off of XP in any event, because I have strategy games, system shock 2, Deus Ex others that will not work at all or as well on win 7, I tried loading them on my work comp.

Oh and Apples latest OS, 5? To use the 'cloud' you must have win 7 or Vista. Nice huh? So I canot use cloud on my Ipad unlessThey used to bitch about the WINTel ( windows-intel) monopoly, now what?:eusa_eh:

Last edited:

[crickets]

Why I run Linux

Oh I know theres a difference, I use it at work, ( win 7) but I don't NEED IT. Never did.When I got laid off I bought a laptop for home, I had to get vista, I planned on using my certified XP disk to reformat , but I said hey let me try vista, , no go, it sux, period. NOW that I want to, the effing cd-player in the dell piece of crap I bought ( which was a 'top of the line' model, know longer works.....:lol:

I know XP is no longer sppted or shortly won't be, thats cool. I don't WANT to move off of XP in any event, because I have strategy games, system shock 2, Deus Ex others that will not work at all or as well on win 7, I tried loading them on my work comp.

Oh and Apples latest OS, 5? To use the 'cloud' you must have win 7 or Vista. Nice huh? So I canot use cloud on my Ipad unlessThey used to bitch about the WINTel ( windows-intel) monopoly, now what?:eusa_eh:
My Win7 "gaming" OSs play most of my old XP games, with some of them I just had to go to the game makers site and download and install a free patch, with a couple I just re-bought the upgraded game, usually for around $10 to $15 for a download.
:dunno:

My Win7 "gaming" OSs play most of my old XP games, with some of them I just had to go to the game makers site and download and install a free patch, with a couple I just re-bought the upgraded game, usually for around $10 to $15 for a download.

I have games I still play going back to win 98 that play fine ono XP, I have tried the compatibility feature on win 7 etc etc etc ..., I have tried patches too and no offense but I bought the game already, I am not giing to pay anther 15 bucks becasue bill gates made me upgrade....:evil:;)

I have games I still play going back to win 98 that play fine ono XP, I have tried the compatibility feature on win 7 etc etc etc ..., I have tried patches too and no offense but I bought the game already, I am not giing to pay anther 15 bucks becasue bill gates made me upgrade....:evil:;)
Such is life.
Cest la vie!

[crickets]

Why I run Linux

"Microsoft negative propaganda" haahah... The bad rep Linux has is very well deserved.

Yes Linux distros are far easier to install these days than they were just a few years ago. Yes you get a bunch of stuff bundled with the usual distros and if you only use your PC for web surfing then you should have no problems.

But as soon as you want to write a document in Word, then your troubles start. Yes Linux has Open Office but it aint Microsoft Office and frankly is highly confusing. I tried to get my father to use Open Office and after a day of fiddling around with it he demanded that I install Microsoft Office again lol. And frankly I dont blame him... People simply dont have the energy and time to set themselves into a new Office pack.

Then you want to play the newest game.. ups sorry.. dont work. On the bright side, more and more games come with an Apple OSX version....something that I thought I would never see.

Then you want to install a program that someone recommended.. hmm in the distros "database", so have to install it manually.. GOOD LUCK! Oh no wait.. it is a Windows program.. dang.

Point is Linux is fine for geeks, but as soon as you go to the masses out there, like it or not, Microsoft has cornered the market for now... Apple may over time (20 to 30 years) be able to take away crown but that is a big maybe... Linux will never do so.

I consider myself a geek, and I do have a linux distro installed but it comes down to the same issues every single time.. my games dont work or something similar so all I do is just not boot it up and use my Windows 7 instead.

[crickets]

Why I run Linux

"Microsoft negative propaganda" haahah... The bad rep Linux has is very well deserved.

Yes Linux distros are far easier to install these days than they were just a few years ago. Yes you get a bunch of stuff bundled with the usual distros and if you only use your PC for web surfing then you should have no problems.

But as soon as you want to write a document in Word, then your troubles start. Yes Linux has Open Office but it aint Microsoft Office and frankly is highly confusing. I tried to get my father to use Open Office and after a day of fiddling around with it he demanded that I install Microsoft Office again lol. And frankly I dont blame him... People simply dont have the energy and time to set themselves into a new Office pack.

Then you want to play the newest game.. ups sorry.. dont work. On the bright side, more and more games come with an Apple OSX version....something that I thought I would never see.

Then you want to install a program that someone recommended.. hmm in the distros "database", so have to install it manually.. GOOD LUCK! Oh no wait.. it is a Windows program.. dang.

Point is Linux is fine for geeks, but as soon as you go to the masses out there, like it or not, Microsoft has cornered the market for now... Apple may over time (20 to 30 years) be able to take away crown but that is a big maybe... Linux will never do so.

I consider myself a geek, and I do have a linux distro installed but it comes down to the same issues every single time.. my games dont work or something similar so all I do is just not boot it up and use my Windows 7 instead.

I am going to call bulls*it on this post.
Open office or Libre office is as simple as anything else; for God's sake how hard is it to type a letter? You make it sound like you are trying to solve a time warp with it.

Play the newest game? Bullsh*t again. Unless you have and are willing to shell out SERIOUS cash for a gaming computer - you can't play the latest games on a factory release PC either. That is what game consoles are for.

Installing software? Depends. It is true that many free programs on the net will not run on Linux, however many free programs on the net come with bundles of crapware that will render your PC useless....it is a good thing that they won't run on Linux actually.

Linux is superior to Windows in every single way. Microsoft has about 85% marketshare so obvioulsy software makers are going to write so it runs on 85% of computers - not 3%.
There is a reason tech savvy people favor Linux over Windows 8 to 1...Microsoft is slow, outdated, insecure, EXPENSIVE, insecure, resource whore, insecure and requires a new computer every other OS "update"

And BTW...I bet I can do more with my Ubuntu box than you can with your Windows box.
Hands down.

Last edited:

[crickets]

Why I run Linux

Bull shit, the "bad rep" is only MS techs bad mouthing Linux. Compared to true geeks I'm a novice and I have no issues with Linux except when it comes to gaming which is the only reason I still use Windows. Everyone I've loaded Mint or Ubuntu for (that is not a gamer) absolutely loves it and has no desire to go back to Windows.
I also understand that most people will go with what they are familiar with, no problem, no skin off of my nose, it's a personal choice. Why bad mouth any of them for the express purpose of steering people one way or the other? Kinda silly if ya think about it but then again this is a "political" message board, negative is king.

I am going to call bulls*it on this post.

And I am going to call you on that.

Open office or Libre office is as simple as anything else; for God's sake how hard is it to type a letter? You make it sound like you are trying to solve a time warp with it.

And you simply dont get it. Going from Office 2003 to 2007 was a HUGE leap for many people and even to this day I get tons of requests to install 2003 version over 2007/10 because they know how 2003 works and not 2007/2010. Open office is just as ALIEN, both at start up (ffs when I want to start a word document I dont want to go through menu after menu to even get started) and how it functions (note this is based on experience of Open Office from about a year ago.. I have not tested the new versions). Sure typing a letter is easy can be done in notepad, but when you want to do "stuff" to that letter then you get into trouble because it does not look like office and as long as it does not look like office, then people loose productivity and get frustrated.

Play the newest game? Bullsh*t again. Unless you have and are willing to shell out SERIOUS cash for a gaming computer - you can't play the latest games on a factory release PC either. That is what game consoles are for.

God do you even know anything about the gaming industry? Most computers can handle all but the high FPS shoot a lot of idiots games. There are thousands of games that will run on a "stock PC". They wont run on Linux because hey they are not made for linux.

As for you game console.. seriously... we are talking about PCs and you bring in gaming consuls to try to say that windows PCs suck at gaming? They created the fucking gaming industry!

And it still does not change the fact.. Linux does not have any major games natively.

Installing software? Depends. It is true that many free programs on the net will not run on Linux, however many free programs on the net come with bundles of crapware that will render your PC useless....it is a good thing that they won't run on Linux actually.

Installing software, the software you want and not what the distro's think you want via their packaging handling crap.. is painful to the extreme. Jdownloader for example is in very few distro's packaging handling and is a bitch to install because it has to be done via terminal.

Point is that Windows PCs are far more user friendly for the average user when it comes to installing programs (and removing). Yea there is a lot of crap out there that makes your pc run slower.. but hey 85+% of the market share means that happens. No one gives a damn about Linux... and look at Apple, their market share is finally becoming noticeable and guess what... malware and crapware is starting to stream to the platform.. a platform that has next to no protection against such things.. /clap.

Linux is superior to Windows in every single way. Microsoft has about 85% marketshare so obvioulsy software makers are going to write so it runs on 85% of computers - not 3%.
There is a reason tech savvy people favor Linux over Windows 8 to 1...Microsoft is slow, outdated, insecure, EXPENSIVE, insecure, resource whore, insecure and requires a new computer every other OS "update"

Far from all tech savy people favor Linux... far far far from.

And BTW...I bet I can do more with my Ubuntu box than you can with your Windows box.
Hands down.

Can you play Football Manager 2012 with out 3rd party emulator? No, then sorry you cant do more on your Ubuntu box... fail.

Oh and the day Ubuntu can dual screen without fucking up will be a great day.. really turned me off that it was not native.

Forum List

Back