An honest question for conservatives

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wjmacguffin, Sep 17, 2012.

1. wjmacguffin

wjmacguffin Proud Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    First, this is not trolling. I am an admitted liberal but I enjoy hearing different points of view so I can better understand what other people see or think. That's why this is an honest question: I want to understand the conservative viewpoint.

What role(s) should a government play in our lives?

With so many conservatives decrying taxation and government regulation, what should (if anything) governments do? Are there any tasks that should belong to the government rather than a private business? Assuming the government collects something in taxes, what should those tax dollars be spent on?

Again, I promise this is an honest question and I'm not setting folks up with a pre-planned, "airtight" counter-argument.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    How are you defining 'a government'. We have a Constitution that outlines the role of federal government. Anything else should be left to the states.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  3. wjmacguffin

wjmacguffin Proud Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I left that intentionally vague, as I'm hoping to learn more about theories and ideas than a strict interpretation of the Constitution. Perhaps another way to ask my question is, "What would the ideal government do?"

4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I don't really give a damn about your questions. It's quite a straightforward concept. Federal Government does what it is remitted to do by the Constitution, the rest it does not do. Not rocket science.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    The federal government's role is detailed in the enumerated powers of the Constitution. We don't bother with the law of the land much anymore, but that's the role the federal government SHOULD play, in my opinion as well as that of those that founded the country.

State and local governments are free to play any role they like as long as their involvement does not infringe upon any individual's rights. One of those rights includes the right to move to another state.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Dissent

Dissent BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I believe my signature points to where I stand on that issue.

7. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Bingo

And IF politicians, etc want to expand the responsibilities and charges of government, we have the amendment process... that amendment process is purposely made to be hard, before someone complains that it takes too much to change or add to the constitution

8. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Paul Ryan speaks for many of us....

9. Dissent

Dissent BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Anarcho-capitalism (also referred to as "libertarian anarchy"[1] and "private-property anarchism"[2] or "market anarchism,"[3] and "free market anarchism"[4]) is a right-libertarian political philosophy that advocates the elimination of the state in favor of individual sovereignty in a free market.[5][6] In an anarcho-capitalist society, law enforcement, courts, and all other security services would be provided by privately funded competitors rather than through taxation, and money would be privately and competitively provided in an open market. Therefore, personal and economic activities under anarcho-capitalism would be regulated by privately run law rather than through politics.

10. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Seems to me, anyone who has to ask these 'questions' isn't an American. We learn this shit in school... at least in decent schools... perhaps the public education system is - again - failing?