America’s Plantation Prisons

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by coolgeee, Aug 31, 2008.

1. coolgeee

coolgeee Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    On an expanse of 18,000 acres of farmland, 59 miles northwest of Baton Rouge, long rows of men, mostly African-American, till the fields under the hot Louisiana sun. The men pick cotton, wheat, soybeans and corn. They work for pennies, literally. Armed guards, mostly white, ride up and down the rows on horseback, keeping watch. At the end of a long workweek, a bad disciplinary report from a guard - whether true or false - could mean a weekend toiling in the fields. The farm is called Angola, after the homeland of the slaves who first worked its soil.

This scene is not a glimpse of plantation days long gone by. It’s the present-day reality of thousands of prisoners at the maximum security Louisiana State Penitentiary, otherwise known as Angola. The block of land on which the prison sits is a composite of several slave plantations, bought up in the decades following the Civil War. Acre-wise, it is the largest prison in the United States. Eighty percent of its prisoners are African-American.

continued here:
    America?s Plantation Prisons

2. Gungnir

Gungnir Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Good, at least cut down on the expense of prisons by making the convicts work for their food.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I am completely opposed to forcing prisoners to work on any for-profit system.

Now if we gave them work that supported the prison itself, farming and so forth, that's another matter.

But the moment we allow prisoners output to become part of the economy outside of that prison, we motivate our government to have more prisons, more prisoners, and more oppressive laws designed to make slaves out of otherwise law abiding citizens.

If you truly love you own freedom, and I think most of us do here, then advocating that prisoners work for outside contractors (as we see happening now all the time) is a misguided notion.

4. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    The difference between slavery and prison is that the latter is the result of conscious choices by blacks. But if it's really going to remain an issue for anyone, how about we separate the races? No more whitey to blame then.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Yeah, and we put 'em to work cleaning our highways. Tough shit.

6. MIRCS

MIRCS Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So I guess the point you're trying to make is that a person shouldn't break the law.

What this has to do with slavery is beyond me..............last I checked the practice of slavery ended in 1866 in the United States.

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I think the theory here is that blacks are poor and can't help it. Don't blame me--ain't my theory ! :eusa_hand:

8. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I am ALL FOR prison plantations. Hell, maybe that work can facilitate the cost of prisons instead of criminal behavior costing the taxpayer MORE prison space. The racial element is NOT why these people are in prison. Stop robbing a fucking liquor store.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,677
    Yeah, no shit! That's a high risk, low reward endeavor. Rob pension plans and shareholders instead, that shit mother fucking pays!!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  10. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,103
    Instead of illegal immigrants, we should build our prisons around farms so they can pick the fruit each year instead of illegals coming in to do it. This is brilliant!! Does anyone have a problem with this? I think it's more inhumane to keep them locked up. Don't work them too hard either.

This is a win win!!!!:clap2: