America the Illiterate

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
This is rather sad and sorta scary, but then I think is literacy necessary to have a heart or does education confer reason on all? Where does sense come from?

By Chris Hedges

"We live in two Americas. One America, now the minority, functions in a print-based, literate world. It can cope with complexity and has the intellectual tools to separate illusion from truth. The other America, which constitutes the majority, exists in a non-reality-based belief system. This America, dependent on skillfully manipulated images for information, has severed itself from the literate, print-based culture. It cannot differentiate between lies and truth. It is informed by simplistic, childish narratives and clichés. It is thrown into confusion by ambiguity, nuance and self-reflection. This divide, more than race, class or gender, more than rural or urban, believer or nonbeliever, red state or blue state, has split the country into radically distinct, unbridgeable and antagonistic entities.

There are over 42 million American adults, 20 percent of whom hold high school diplomas, who cannot read, as well as the 50 million who read at a fourth- or fifth-grade level. Nearly a third of the nation’s population is illiterate or barely literate. And their numbers are growing by an estimated 2 million a year. But even those who are supposedly literate retreat in huge numbers into this image-based existence. A third of high school graduates, along with 42 percent of college graduates, never read a book after they finish school. Eighty percent of the families in the United States last year did not buy a book."

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20081110_america_the_illiterate/

No serious replies. So is education, aka literacy, required for a civil, rational, moral society? Does government fail from below, its citizens, or from itself, our leaders? And by fail I mean what happens when Rome collapses.

No serious replies. So is education, aka literacy, required for a civil, rational, moral society? Does government fail from below, its citizens, or from itself, our leaders? And by fail I mean what happens when Rome collapses.

Education is necessary for an advanced, civilized society. Civil, rational, and moral? Not necessarily, although those DO require common sense and a willingness to think.

Nations can fall in numerous ways, I suppose, but it seems to me that they would all require a weak, lazy populace.

Yes, but so is the raw material: a population with sufficient intelligence for education and literacy to make a difference.

America is importing scads of Third-World peoples who don't have the raw material.

If you think it doesn't matter, compare Japan and Germany to Haiti and Guatemala.

Kinds don't read as much as the boomers did, that's for damned sure.

Computers and cable TV are the reason, I suspect.

I don't read as much as I did, and for the same reasons.

I'm not a very fast reader but I love to read if the material is interesting.

Forum List

Back