Altruistic / Crowdsourced projects

CultureCitizen

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2013
The goal of this thread is to keep updates on crowdsourced projects which benefit a large number of people ( other than the donnors).

I find these projects of interest because they may lead to a different kind of economy one in which communal ownership through donations (monetary or by work ) exists within capitalism.

The first examples that come to my mind :

wikipedia : www.wikipedia.com
khan academy : www.khanacademy.org
free software foundation : Front Page — Free Software Foundation — working together for free software

The goal of this thread is to keep updates on crowdsourced projects which benefit a large number of people ( other than the donnors).

I find these projects of interest because they may lead to a different kind of economy one in which communal ownership through donations (monetary or by work ) exists within capitalism.

free software foundation : Front Page — Free Software Foundation — working together for free software

High school level courses free for everyone who has internet connection and a computer.
Crash Course : CrashCourse

High school level courses free for everyone who has internet connection and a computer.
Crash Course : CrashCourse
dear, aren't stock holders in Exxon communal owners?

Crowdfunding business loans and investments; 10 Top Crowdfunding Websites for Entrepreneurs

Special Ed, read the OP, this topic discusses not profit driven models. As you may know, Exxon is profit driven.

Before you get all wound up, remember I am an entrepreneur and you aren't so you're not really qualified to discuss this topic. I am driven by the profit model but I also do probono work. I want my probono work to have leverage and value (teaching someone to fish) which is why, for the same effort, I would rather help something like CrashCourse instead of one single person.

If we can move more good works from government to these models, we'll all be better off.

SETI@Home and the medical version come to mind. Using idle cpu and graphics cards for numbercrunching tasks is an excellent idea. As is linking as many pc's around the world as possible to do other tasks. No computer faster or more powerful than a few million working on the same problem. :)

. As you may know, Exxon is profit driven.

no more than most non profits!! People need to get paid for the enterprise to be sustainable. If all involved are not paid then it is a charity wherein the money comes from surplus profits anyway. So profits are always the key to charity or so called" no profits".

Do you understand now?

SETI@Home and the medical version come to mind. Using idle cpu and graphics cards for numbercrunching tasks is an excellent idea. As is linking as many pc's around the world as possible to do other tasks. No computer faster or more powerful than a few million working on the same problem. :)
It would be nice to have the name of the medical equivalent of SET@HOME.

It would be nice to have the name of the medical equivalent of SET@HOME.

culturecreep is a liberal in his bleeding heart but has learned there is no reasonable argument with which to defend liberalism, so now he's devoting himself to liberal trivial pursuit to sooth his bleeding heart.

dear, aren't stock holders in Exxon communal owners?

Indeed , they are, but they are not engaged in an altruistic project but rather in one fueled by self interest.

dear the pure joy and beauty of capitalism is that if you succeed you succeed for your family, and your customers. It is pure joy and beauty for all.

What could be better than that???

OpenAI

" The mission of the not-for-profit initiative is to provide A.I. to everyone, rather than a centralized intelligence as depicted in typical roboapocalypse movies we’re so familiar with. When asked whether the OpenAI efforts could surpass human intelligence levels, Altman replied ”I expect that it will, but it will just be open source and useable by everyone instead of useable by, say, just Google".

Does Elon Musk And OpenAI Want To Democratise Or Sanitise Artificial Intelligence?

OpenAI

OpenAI

" The mission of the not-for-profit initiative is to provide A.I. to everyone, rather than a centralized intelligence as depicted in typical roboapocalypse movies we’re so familiar with. When asked whether the OpenAI efforts could surpass human intelligence levels, Altman replied ”I expect that it will, but it will just be open source and useable by everyone instead of useable by, say, just Google".

Does Elon Musk And OpenAI Want To Democratise Or Sanitise Artificial Intelligence?

OpenAI
playing trivial pursuit again,.. becaise you don't know if you're liberal or conservative????????

OpenAI

OpenAI
playing trivial pursuit again,.. becaise you don't know if you're liberal or conservative????????

I am a solid liberal. But how is your comment related to the thread. AI is not trivial and the fact that everyone can benefit from it is probably better than having free education fro everyone.

Ed shut the fuck up dude, all your trolling does is reveal your ugly

Forum List

Back