Alcoholism: Genetics & environmental; Homosexual ONLY genetics though??

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Alcoholism often seems to run in families, and we may hear about scientific studies of an “alcoholism gene.”
Genetics certainly influence our likelihood of developing alcoholism, but the story isn’t so simple.

Research shows that genes are responsible for about half of the risk for alcoholism.
Therefore, genes alone do not determine whether someone will become an alcoholic.
Environmental factors, as well as gene and environment interactions account for the remainder of the risk.*
Genetics of Alcohol Use Disorders | National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)

So when Perry said alcoholism is genetic & behavioral JUST as homosexuality is genetic & behavioral... BOY did that upset people!

Why is the gay community so upset... especially by Perry's comparison?

Isn't it true?

And in fact... homosexuality genetics are such a true "I gotta be me" homosexual HAS to thank behavior modification of our society to make
acceptance of HOMOSEXUAL BEHAVIOR.
After all genetically same sex proclivity does NOT encourage reproduction... so how could homosexuality become more prevalent EXCEPT by
society behavior acceptance?

So where are all you people that are obviously true believers in the ONLY reason same sex relationships exist is genetics?

alcoholism often seems to run in families, and we may hear about scientific studies of an “alcoholism gene.”
genetics certainly influence our likelihood of developing alcoholism, but the story isn’t so simple.

Research shows that genes are responsible for about half of the risk for alcoholism.
Therefore, genes alone do not determine whether someone will become an alcoholic.

false -

those with the genetic makeup for alcoholism may never drink enough to trigger the craving effect of the disease, therefore remain periodic moderate drinkers or non-drikers their entire life -- they can pass the gene on.

the alcoholic gene has to do with impulse control and how the brain processes sugars.

and in fact... Homosexuality genetics are such a true "i gotta be me" homosexual has to thank behavior modification of our society to make
acceptance of homosexual behavior.
After all genetically same sex proclivity does not encourage reproduction... So how could homosexuality become more prevalent except by
society behavior acceptance?

false -

homosexuality generally shows up in the later pregnancies , indicating the after a woman has had several babies, something is triggered in our genetic coding. Or possibly caused by changes in the mother's body after multiple pregnancies -- either way it is a hard-wired behavior - sexual orientation - sexaul attraction.

you are o for 2.

Forum List

Back