Àgent Orange: A lesson of capitalisitic evilness

Mr. Sauerkraut

Dec 23, 2010
Heart of Germany
Hi.

When you watch the movie "THe Fog of War" (what I want to advise you), McNamara is telling about this military episode of vietnam. Because Germany is deeply involved in this matter, I was curious about it and wantet to know more.

The Generals regarded the vietnamese rain forest as the major problem to attac the vietcong forces. So someone came on the idea, that a herbizide which makes the trees losing their leafs would be a useful tool to optimize focuzing the enemy.

The US Enterprise Monsanto offered the military a high effective plant killing poison which they´re selling to farmers and gardeners. When the military began to order this stuff, the "profit maximazing machinery" turned on: By the production of this stuff, dioxine, a highly cancer activating substance, came into it. For free trade, it was cleaned so the farmers didn´t become ill by using it. But for the military use, Monsanto decided to spare the cleaning process and sold it un-cleaned, highly toxic and as said, cancer activating. Thousands of US Troops were venomed and as well, millions of vietnamese people.

The military effect inclined around zero. No one ever was assumed for responsibility ever.

So, is capitalism really this holy that we let him allow doing crimes like these? I mean, is ist right, that an enterprise is allowed to immolate anything, (people, enviroment, landscapes) because they want to optimize their profit?

Last edited:
There's a great deal more to Vietnam then capitalism. A good part of it was driven by abject fear of communism...and not understanding that what the Vietnamese were doing was trying to build their own government.

There's a great deal more to Vietnam then capitalism. A good part of it was driven by abject fear of communism...and not understanding that what the Vietnamese were doing was trying to build their own government.

That wasn´t the point. The military ordered a plant killing poison. What they got delivered by monsanto was a dirty, venomous, cancer producing substance because the production of this stuff was cheaper than the original herbizide. This is the only point. Is an enterprise always allowed to optimize it´s profit in any way? Or has there to be a voice that says "Stop! You´re going too far!" That´s my question.

That wasn´t the point. The military ordered a plant killing poison. What they got delivered by monsanto was a dirty, venomous, cancer producing substance because the production of this stuff was cheaper than the original herbizide. This is the only point. Is an enterprise always allowed to optimize it´s profit in any way? Or has there to be a voice that says "Stop! You´re going too far!" That´s my question.

Well..that's been quite the argument in this country for quite some time..

Most corporations have "no voice" (other then the bottom line)..and it's basically up to the government to determine those parameters.

Most corporations have "no voice" (other then the bottom line)..and it's basically up to the government to determine those parameters.

THe sad thing is that you needn´t to go 50 Years in the past. What was this Ford Explorer/Firestone thing? What did the by the "Love Canal"? Year by year tons of movies are made around this issue (remember "Erin Brocovich") but when i see how the gas companies are polluting now you´re country, i like to ask you: when will you stand up?

Last edited:

THe sad thing is that you needn´t to go 50 Years in the past. What was this Ford Explorer/Firestone thing? What did the by the "Love Canal"? Year by year tons of movies are made around this issue (remember "Erin Brocovich") but when i see how the gas companies are polluting now you´re country, i like to ask you: when will you stand up?

Well..it's a "Tennis game" here. You win some..you lose some. But we've been "standing up" for quite some time. Corporations have very strong advocates.

Forum List

Back