African American Accomplishments

LOIE

Gold Member
May 11, 2017
I wanted to start this thread because I have seen so many comments about the limitations and flaws of African Americans. I didn’t have to do much research to find this good stuff. And this is only a few of a very long list of accomplishments.

African Americans have always been and continue to be a strength in our society and have made many contributions throughout our history. Many of these people, however, are unfamiliar to us. We were not shown their faces on the nightly news. We are not constantly reminded of their intelligence and fortitude.

What we have been constantly reminded of are the African Americans who reinforce long-held stereotypes. We are shown the thugs, the murderers, the druggies, the drive-by shooters. These are the pictures we continually see and that become etched in our minds.

What would happen if only positive images were portrayed? What would happen if only good things were shown? I suppose ratings would go down, but maybe we would stop believing that Black people are always and only negative.

The first women listed were in the movie, Hidden Figures. This is pretty recent history. Why were some of us hearing about these remarkable women for the very first time? Why has positivity been hidden away from our eyes and only negativity pushed in front of them?

Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson

Black female mathematicians who were part of NASA’s human computers. Calculated by hand the complex equations that allowed space heroes like Neil Armstrong to travel safely into space.

Bessie Blount Griffin

Black physical therapist, inventor and forensic scientist. During her work with wounded soldiers during WWII, she devised an apparatus to help amputees feed themselves. In 1951 she developed an electronic feeding device.

Cirllo McSween

Made history in 1957 when he became the first African American hired by a major insurance company. In his first year, he sold over $1million in new policies. He earned the company’s top sales award for 28 years. He invested in fast food restaurants, owning several franchises.

Nathan S. Scott, Jr.

Served as a professor of theology and religious studies at both the University of Chicago and University of Virginia. He is best known for his numerous writings on the subject of religion within literature. Served as co-editor of the Journal of Religion and Christian Scholar and served as president of the American Academy of Religion in 1986.

Dr. Ralph Johnson Bunche

In 1949, accomplished what many considered to be impossible -an armistice between Israel and her Arab neighbors. Earned the 1950 Nobel Peace Prize.

Shirley Chisholm

First African American woman elected to Congress in 1968. In 1972 made a bid for the Democratic Party’s nomination for president.

Frederick Douglass Patterson

Most famous for establishing the United Negro College Fund. President Reagan awarded him the Presidential Medal of freedom – America’s highest civilian honor.

Richard Wright

Considered by many to be one of the twentieth century’s greatest writers. His most famous work, Native Son, sold more than 250,000 copies within three weeks of its release.

Wilma Rudolph

Contracted infantile paralysis as a child, which left her with a twisted left foot and leg. By the age of 12 she had triumphed over her condition. Became the first African American to win three Olympic Gold Medals in track and field. Fastest woman in the world in the 1960s and increased visibility for women’s track and field in the U.S.

William Warrick Cardozo

Noted physician and pediatrician who became a pioneering researcher of sickle cell anemia. Published research in areas of child growth and development. Was assistant professor in pediatrics at Howard University’s College of Medicine.

Ben Carson

Gained worldwide recognition as the principle surgeon in the 22 hour separation of Siamese twins.

Lawrence Joel

Earned the Congressional Medal of Honor and the Silver Star for his actions in battle during the Vietnam War.

I truly hope that nobody responds that these folks are the exception. And I hope that nobody says to highlight African American accomplishments is somehow anti-white or racist. History has been hidden and/or changed for so long, it is time for us to see the truth. And once our eyes are opened, we cannot claim to be blind.

Of course these people are exceptional, as are caucasian, asian, and Inuit who achieve great things.

Our problem is many-faceted. Black high - achievers are not publicized, and bullshit accomplishments are exalted. Black yoots seek to emulate sports stars and entertainers, rather than entrepreneurs, corporate leaders, scholars, and successful government officials.

If only they could invent a knife and gun that won't kill anyone at the local bar.

Well for openers the Negroes picked a lot of cotton for about 200 years.

Now it's John Deere combines that pick it but back then it was Negroes.

And they invented bbq pork ribs, that's the most significant accomplishment for me. I love pork ribs.

And then there is jazz music, which led to rock and roll, then blues, then disco. I used to dance a lot of disco but not in years now. But that was important once.

That's my list.

Of course these people are exceptional, as are caucasian, asian, and Inuit who achieve great things.

Our problem is many-faceted. Black high - achievers are not publicized, and bullshit accomplishments are exalted. Black yoots seek to emulate sports stars and entertainers, rather than entrepreneurs, corporate leaders, scholars, and successful government officials.
I would say that's because of the American dream of being wealthy and famous.The entertainers and sports stars have become the American idols for lots of kids and they've been pushed as the quick and easy way to make it to the top.

Regarding exceptionality, I mean that many white folks STILL believe that Black folks are just too dumb and lazy as a race to produce anything at all. Given the opportunities, I think many, many more amazing folks will arise. And I think that their potential has been stifled on purpose and that the ones who have been allowed to break through weren't necessarily that much brighter than everyone else, but were given the opportunities to learn, grow and research and put their ideas to the test.

I truly hope that nobody responds that these folks are the exception. And I hope that nobody says to highlight African American accomplishments is somehow anti-white or racist.
.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what the majority will do. A few months of reading most of what is posted in this forum is a great reminder that 1950 was not very long ago at all, and quite a few individuals still "live there".

Forum List

Back