Aetna to Cut Back 70% on Obamacare in 2017

Who in their right mind want the US Govt. in charge of HC for three hundred million Americans??

Govt. has never done anything cheaply or well in its entire history. Anything having to do with Govt. turns into mountains of red tape, paperwork and long waits.

Not my idea of a good thing and it won't be anyone else's either once they have to endure it.
Yes. And the corporations have done such a WONDERFUL job so far running our health care system. They are very efficient and charge fair prices too! I couldn't be more happy!

I have no problem with the service MY insurance company provides. When I had to use them, they came through like a champ.

Good for you.

I've never had to use my benefits at all.
Pretending everything is OK won't work

Oh believe me if Govt. were ever in charge of HC they would make the HC companies look like a million bucks.
You can say that again. Once they take over it's all going to run as smooth as the VA hospitals.

Major insurer pulls out of a market, leaves room for smaller start-up insurers to fill the vacuum. Consumer benefits. Bonus: RWNJs have no idea what's happening.

That makes no sense at all. If the major company can't make money with the advantages it has in economies of scale, how will a new start up be able to fund its losses? You do realize that more start ups of any kind fail than are successful don't you?

Corporations like Aetna are more concerned with stockholder satisfaction and executive salaries than with providing services to consumers. When they lumber off over the horizon, they leave a vacuum where smaller, consumer-run companies can fill in...the way health insurance started back in the day. It's not the same model as a new restaurant opening across the street from established restaurants (the failed-startup model). There's a need to fill, and a learning from the mistakes of top-heavy monstrosities like Aetna.

Yes. And the corporations have done such a WONDERFUL job so far running our health care system. They are very efficient and charge fair prices too! I couldn't be more happy!

I have no problem with the service MY insurance company provides. When I had to use them, they came through like a champ.

Good for you.

Oh believe me if Govt. were ever in charge of HC they would make the HC companies look like a million bucks.
You can say that again. Once they take over it's all going to run as smooth as the VA hospitals.
Rah-rah! Go corporate health care! I trust NAFTA and all corporations!

Good for you.

Rah Rah Go Govt. Fuck up HC like you fuck up everything else you touch.

They'd do a better job than the govt. But the real answer is to get rid of health insurance and insist people manage their own health care. If YOU had to pay your doctor bills, you'd haggle over his prices.

Translation: We cannot get enough young lower income workers to pay for something they don't need to subsidize the fat baby boomers via a hidden tax.

The millennials voted Obama and are all for this shit, then reality hits and when they are asked to enroll and pay they run away. Young people are a bunch of two faced liberals.

"I have to pay for it? I thought it was free" -- Progressives

Good for you.

I worked in the VA hospital and grew up as a military dependent so you're damn right I prefer corporations. They need customers, the government doesn't.

Major insurer pulls out of a market, leaves room for smaller start-up insurers to fill the vacuum. Consumer benefits. Bonus: RWNJs have no idea what's happening.

That makes no sense at all. If the major company can't make money with the advantages it has in economies of scale, how will a new start up be able to fund its losses? You do realize that more start ups of any kind fail than are successful don't you?

Corporations like Aetna are more concerned with stockholder satisfaction and executive salaries than with providing services to consumers. When they lumber off over the horizon, they leave a vacuum where smaller, consumer-run companies can fill in...the way health insurance started back in the day. It's not the same model as a new restaurant opening across the street from established restaurants (the failed-startup model). There's a need to fill, and a learning from the mistakes of top-heavy monstrosities like Aetna.
They lost several billion last quarter. Being a government lacky you don't understand what that means.

Good for you.

Oh I forgot. In your fantasy world corporate health care isn't already fucked up. Go corporate health care! Yay, I love NAFTA and companies that offshore! Go corporate health care!

Oh I forgot. In your fantasy world corporate health care isn't already fucked up. Go corporate health care! Yay, I love NAFTA and companies that offshore! Go corporate health care!

You appear to be an idiot of the first degree who's more concerned with corporations than adequate HC.

Oh I forgot. You ARE and idiot. Never mind. LOL

And remember not a single repub in congress voted for this mess. This is 100% a democrat screw-up.

Aetna Will Abandon Obamacare Patients In More Than 500 U.S. Counties

[8/16/16] Aetna said it will reduce by more than 500 U.S. counties its participation in public exchanges under the Affordable Care Act in the face of hundreds of millions of dollars in losses.

In 2017, Aetna said it will be in just 242 counties, down from 778. Aetna will remain on-exchange in just four states: Delaware, Iowa, Nebraska and Virginia, compared to 15 states where it operates this year.

Monday night’s announcement comes after Aetna AET -0.41% said earlier this month that it would evaluate all of its individual plans in 15 states. Humana HUM -0.77% has already said it is pulling off most ACA exchanges for next year. And rivalUnitedHealth Group UNH -0.85%, too, is scaling back to three states, leaving AnthemWLP +% and Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans as the main Obamacare providers across the country.

there is no need for insurance companies anymore. They are pushing us into gov healthcare and well just hurting themselves.

Government healthcare can't happen unless the government does it. Don't blame insurance companies for what bleeding heart Liberals would do.

MY insurance company works fine for me. No problems. Why would I support government control of healthcare to fuck that up.

There is no need for them, they are just the middle man who do paperwork.

And remember not a single repub in congress voted for this mess. This is 100% a democrat screw-up.

[8/16/16] Aetna said it will reduce by more than 500 U.S. counties its participation in public exchanges under the Affordable Care Act in the face of hundreds of millions of dollars in losses.

In 2017, Aetna said it will be in just 242 counties, down from 778. Aetna will remain on-exchange in just four states: Delaware, Iowa, Nebraska and Virginia, compared to 15 states where it operates this year.

Monday night’s announcement comes after Aetna AET -0.41% said earlier this month that it would evaluate all of its individual plans in 15 states. Humana HUM -0.77% has already said it is pulling off most ACA exchanges for next year. And rivalUnitedHealth Group UNH -0.85%, too, is scaling back to three states, leaving AnthemWLP +% and Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans as the main Obamacare providers across the country.

there is no need for insurance companies anymore. They are pushing us into gov healthcare and well just hurting themselves.

Government healthcare can't happen unless the government does it. Don't blame insurance companies for what bleeding heart Liberals would do.

MY insurance company works fine for me. No problems. Why would I support government control of healthcare to fuck that up.

There's no need for government to be involved in healthcare coverage.

This is good news. Now we can start over and NATIONALIZE health care in America.

The corporations had their chance and they suck even worse than the government at providing health care.

ObamaCare is the Biggest Disaster in history

What a complete clusterfuck
Their biggest mistake was making it a mandate punishable by heavy taxation. That's a democrat for you. They are always about stealing from the makers.

Really so if someone doesn't' feel like paying for healthcare, no problem , everyone else will eat your bill.

So you're getting ready to raze all the VA hospitals? What will you do with the patients?

This is good news. Now we can start over and NATIONALIZE health care in America.

The corporations had their chance and they suck even worse than the government at providing health care.

ObamaCare is the Biggest Disaster in history

What a complete clusterfuck
Their biggest mistake was making it a mandate punishable by heavy taxation. That's a democrat for you. They are always about stealing from the makers.

Really so if someone doesn't' feel like paying for healthcare, no problem , everyone else will eat your bill.

No, they simply don't get the help if they aren't willing to pay.

So you're getting ready to raze all the VA hospitals? What will you do with the patients?

Totally missed the point, I see.

They lost several billion last quarter.

Not according to the NYSE. But I suppose you read that on some blog.

Being a government lacky...

It's "lackey," and I'm not. Where'd you get the idea I was?
Sure you're a gubmint lacky, you are here defending obiecare everyday like your life depends on it. Probably does. Navigator?

Aetna (AET) to Quit 11 State Exchanges to Check Losses
Aetna Inc. AET is calling it quits in the public exchange business in 11 of the 15 states in which it is currently present. It will, however, maintain its presence in Delaware, Iowa, Nebraska and Virginia. Aetna will reduce its individual public exchange participation to 242 counties from the initial 778 ones for the 2017 plan year.

This development comes after Aetna suffered a pretax loss of $200 million in the second quarter and total pretax losses of more than $430 million since Jan 2014 in its individual products sold via the public exchanges.

Forum List

Back