Admirals, generals: Let gays serve openly

Why would you not? That would be more heroic (and somewhat noble) than throwing a blanket over someone's head and gang beating the crap out of him for some nebulous reason.
Seriously CSM, what were we supposed to do? No one wanted this guy in our unit. Plus if he went with us into the field. He was going to come back in a body bag.

The soilders who gave him the blanket party. Actually saved his life in the long run.

Seriously CSM, what were we supposed to do? No one wanted this guy in our unit. Plus if he went with us into the field. He was going to come back in a body bag.

The soilders who gave him the blanket party. Actually saved his life in the long run.

There is such a thing as the chain of command...and you know damn well how it works if you were in the military longer than a week....there are other avenues as well, some of which are the chaplain's office, the IG, and heck you could have even written your Congressman.

Don't get me wrong, I know full well how soldiers think and it is easy for them to fool themselves into taking such action thinking they are justified....which leads me to my assessment of the unit leadership at the time. If "no one" (as you assert) wanted the individual in the unit then your leadership could EASILY have prevented the individual soldier from deploying. Furthermore, the fact that the leadership fostered a climate where such a thing as a blanket party was even a consideration indicates an epic failure on their part.

The whole situation as you describe it indicates to me a very poor unit with no discipline and piss poor leadership. By the way, such units were not unusual during the VietNam era.

I don't agree with your premise that removing don't ask, don't tell equals permission to or the desire to flaunt homosexuality. I don't think that what gays are asking for. I think they just want to be able to fell safe, if asked, in responding truthfully that they are gay.
Imagine if it was the reverse. Would any straight person feel good about having to pretend to be gay in order to keep your job? I saw part of a TV documentary, (wish I could remember the title), where a highly decorated and clearly upstanding career officer decided he had to resign from the military because the obligation to go to great lengths to hide the fact that he was in a homosexual relationship was tearing him apart. It made him feel isolated from his his fellow soldiers and undermined teamwork. This guy was no over sensitive wuss. He had been in combat and performed outstandingly. But having to pretend he was straight was a travesty he could no longer put up with so he resigned and the military lost a good officer.
On another board I post on there is a poster who is a former marine who resigned from the Corps after a long service for the same reason. He said he couldn't lie anymore. del will probably remember him. He was a very eloquent writer and after reading his posts I could understand better how it can wrench a person inside to pretend to be something you aren't for no good reason other than to coodle a minority of homophobes.

I agree with you. My intention was not to express the view that rescinding Don't Ask, Don't Tell would be for the purpose of gays flaunting their behavior. My premise was that those that want it rescinded and allow gays to serve openly simply for the reason to flaunt it are in the military for the wrong reasons to begin with. I fully understand that being gay in the military is hard and that not being true to yourself is emotionally crippling. That the travesty of the policy.

I'm curious about how it would protect gays.

It protects them in the sense that by not divulging a homosexual lifestyle, it prevents physical, social, and emotional retribution from others in the military.

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
I agree with you. My intention was not to express the view that rescinding Don't Ask, Don't Tell would be for the purpose of gays flaunting their behavior. My premise was that those that want it rescinded and allow gays to serve openly simply for the reason to flaunt it are in the military for the wrong reasons to begin with. I fully understand that being gay in the military is hard and that not being true to yourself is emotionally crippling. That the travesty of the policy.

It protects them in the sense that by not divulging a homosexual lifestyle, it prevents physical, social, and emotional retribution from others in the military.

But you don't understand--liberals want to put a weak link in every chain there is. And then defend it.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I misunderstood you.

I suppose it does protect them in the sense you describe, but they can just individually choose to adopt their own personal don't tell policy, if they feel the need.

The whole situation as you describe it indicates to me a very poor unit with no discipline and piss poor leadership. By the way, such units were not unusual during the VietNam era.
You are correct CSM

We were all draftees and didn't want to be there.

Basically we did what we wanted and were not very military oriented.

I am sure the current all voluntary service is much more professional

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I misunderstood you.

I suppose it does protect them in the sense you describe, but they can just individually choose to adopt their own personal don't tell policy, if they feel the need.

They could adopt a personal policy, but an environment that would require such action is problematic. I'm sure that Africac-Americans would have liked to have that option from the time of integration throughout the Vietnam Conflict.

Anyone reading Shoguns posts will immediately see he is a hard core racist.

Pot.

Kettle.

Black.

Now, Crimson moved this thread for a reason. Could y'all get back on topic, so it can actually open, and save him doing twice the work?

Forum List

Back