Administration to propose steps on gun safety

daveman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2010
On the way to the Dark Tower.
Administration to propose steps on gun safety

WASHINGTON (AP) — Six months after Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot, the White House is preparing to propose some new steps on gun safety, though they're likely to fall short of the bold measures activists would like to see.

Anti-gun groups have been disappointed to see no action so far from President Barack Obama, who supported tough gun control measures earlier in his career but fell largely silent upon becoming president. Some activists were using the opportunity of the six-month anniversary of the Giffords shooting on Friday to speak up.

Spokesman Jay Carney said that the new steps would be made public "in the near future." He didn't offer details, but people involved in talks at the Justice Department to craft the new measures said they expected to see something in the next several weeks. Whatever is proposed is not expected to involve legislation or take on major issues like banning assault weapons but could include executive action to strengthen the background check system or other steps.

--

"To prevent the next Tucson, we need a comprehensive background check system, which is what the president called for in April," said the director of the mayors' group, Mark Glaze. "That said, there are many steps the president can take on his own authority, without new laws, that could make a very real difference."​

The fact of the matter is that gun rights have only increased under the Obama Administration, not decreased. Much to the disappointment of the NRA among others.

NRA may have to bag Election Day ads opposing Obama | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

This season, the group has sponsored print and video advertisements opposing Obama; anti-Obama independent expenditures by the NRA this cycle total $1.8 million, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics.

NRA: Obama's election spawns 'gun run' (OneNewsNow.com)

But of course:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/us/politics/15guns.html

WASHINGTON — More than two months after the Tucson shootings, the administration is calling together both the gun lobby and gun safety groups to find common ground. But President Obama has no plans to take the lead in proposing further gun control legislation, aides say, and the nation’s major gun rights group is snubbing the invitation.

The fact of the matter is that gun rights have only increased under the Obama Administration, not decreased. Much to the disappointment of the NRA among others.

NRA may have to bag Election Day ads opposing Obama | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

This season, the group has sponsored print and video advertisements opposing Obama; anti-Obama independent expenditures by the NRA this cycle total $1.8 million, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics.

NRA: Obama's election spawns 'gun run' (OneNewsNow.com)

But of course:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/us/politics/15guns.html

WASHINGTON — More than two months after the Tucson shootings, the administration is calling together both the gun lobby and gun safety groups to find common ground. But President Obama has no plans to take the lead in proposing further gun control legislation, aides say, and the nation’s major gun rights group is snubbing the invitation.

i remember Pelosi wouldn't even LOOK at gun control legislation.

The idea that the Democrats are going to try and ban guns is becoming more and more of a far-fetched fantasy. Especially when Liberals like myself support the rights of gun owners and are only looking to see reasonable regulation. Not outright banning.

The idea that the Democrats are going to try and ban guns is becoming more and more of a far-fetched fantasy. Especially when Liberals like myself support the rights of gun owners and are only looking to see reasonable regulation. Not outright banning.

There's plenty of reasonable regulation out there. We don't need more, just enforce the 10,000 pages that are already law.

"Reasonable" is a relative term, isn't it?

Whatever is proposed is not expected to involve legislation or take on major issues like banning assault weapons but could include executive action to strengthen the background check system or other steps.

In other words, enforce existing laws.

Anything else would be constitutionally problematic and political folly.

And there is your ignorance, you and your buddies "reasonable regulations" are anything but.

I would say it would depend on what the conviction was for.

Sounds a lot like what I said:

It depends. Are we talking about violent convicted felons or non-violent?

Though according to RGS, I'm not a reasonable fellow. But I wonder if that makes you my 'buddy' and unreasonable by proxy? :eusa_think:

Forum List

Back