Accomplished!

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    JUST A QUESTION: If someone had said in February 2003, that by June 2004, Saddam Hussein would have been removed from power and captured; that a diverse new government, including Shiites, Sunnis and Kurds, would be installed; that elections would be scheduled for January 2005; and that the liberation of a devastated country of 25 million in which everyone owns an AK-47 had been accomplished with an army of around 140,000 with a total casualty rate (including accidents and friendly fire) of around 800; that no oil fields had been set aflame; no WMDs had been used; no mass refugee crises had emerged; and no civil war had broken out... well, I think you would come to the conclusion that the war had been an extraordinary success. And you'd be right. Yes, there are enormous challenges; and yes, so much more could have been achieved without incompetence, infighting and occasional inhumanity. But it's worth acknowledging that, with a little perspective, our current gloom is over-blown. Stocks in Iraq have been way over-sold. I even regret some minor sells myself. Now watch the media do all it can to accentuate the negative.

2. st8_o_mind

st8_o_mind Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You are about a year late. Bush declared the mission "accomplished" over a year ago. Since then of course, about 500 Americans have gotten killed, a couple thousand more shot or blown up, thousands of Iraqi's killed, a few tortured and a wedding ruined.

I think just about everybody hopes that this occupation does not devolve into a civil war, destabilize the entire region, or lead to more terrorists attacks against the US. The jury is still out.

But until the last US soldier can return home to his or her family with all ten fingers and toes intact, I'll hold off on the celebration.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    When GW said 'Mission Accomplished' he spoke too soon. I agree with you. However, he was speaking of the 'war' not the aftermath. That is what we are now dealing with.

There is no overestimating the worth of each casualty, however 900 dead in over a year is so miniscule in the rhelm of warfare that it's nearly impossible to deal with.

Of course, if one is of the mindset that 'anyone is better' then I guess 1, 900, or whatever won't matter.

4. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The President never declared that the mission was accomplished. He declared an end to major combat operations, and went on to explain what needed to be done before we could leave. The banner indicated that ship's mission was accomplished, as indeed it was.

I know you're just trying to get a head start, but isn't it a bit premature to start rewriting history?

There has never been a more noble civilization of people in all recorded human history than the people of the United States of America. Yet you fail to see it.

Those Americans died so that others might be free, and what have you done with that freedom? Lied.

5. menewa

menewa Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    [There has never been a more noble civilization of people in all recorded human history than the people of the United States of America. Yet you fail to see it.

Those Americans died so that others might be free, and what have you done with that freedom? Lied. [/B][/QUOTE]

"never been a more noble civilization?" Are you serious.
    Okay, maybe if you forget the largest genocide and land theft of all history against a common people and the largest mass importation of slave labor of all time and the largest accumulation of weapons of mass destruction of all time as well. Oh yeah, don't forget our prison system,we have more people incarcerated than other country in the world.

The US definitely has many appealing aspects and deserves high rankings among the many civilizations that have existed, but to say it's the most noble civilization of all history defies the meaning of noble altogether and implies a complete forgetting of the last 200 years of history.

6. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Menewa, in a comparison of the history of the nobility of all civilized nations, I would certainly bet all my money on the USA.
    There are too many hate-filled people in the world who envy and despise America for what it has accomplished in 200 years. But when they get in trouble/need help, what country comes first to their minds? And for good reason, too--they know they can count on America to help them.

7. st8_o_mind

st8_o_mind Guest

Ratings:
    +0

You're in an institution arn't you?

8. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Wait one sec! Nothing is accomplished or finished until we back up every oil tanker flying under a U.S. flag and loot that country of all its oil. Well heck if the leftists think this was all about oil and business lets prove them right. If the Iraqi people really want the mullahs and the terrorists to run the country lets see them do it without any natural resources, all of this would be of course after the massive civil war that is bound to happen after the transfer of power.

9. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    First, as has already been mentioned, Bush declared that major combat operations were over. He was mostly right; we haven't had a major campaign since then, though we have had a whole lot of fighting in and around Iraqi cities.

Second, there is plenty of reason to celebrate what has already happened. Kathianne's post is very relevant; the US-led coalition has acheived some monumental successes. I share your concern that there are a lot of troops still in Iraq, including many friends of mine, and I hope they all come back safely just as you do. But I think it is unwise to say that we shouldn't look at our progress until we leave.

10. st8_o_mind

st8_o_mind Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    "Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." -- Bush

The White House flew about half the Washington press corps to an aircraft carrier to record the victorious president’s dramatic landing on the Lincoln and his address to the nation, in uniform, under a banner supplied by the White House that read “mission accomplished" which was hung behind the podium where Shrub was to speak. But that was just for the ship. You gotta be kidding. You can spin it any way you like, as indeed the White House attempted to, by claiming (and later retracting) that the banner was produced by the crew of the Lincoln after the Prez. was criticized for prematurely declaring victory while Americans were being killed daily in Iraq.

Perhaps you should consider a career change and become a spin doctor for the Bush media team, though, God willing and the creek don’t rise, the job will only be available for the next six months.