About Matthew (Okay - Let me toot my horn)

Originally posted by mattskramer
Cool. I got an idea...I wonder if we can treat Social Security the same way. "He government...let's make a deal. If you won't require me to pay any more into social security from this day forward, then when I come of age to receive social security benefits, I will decline them. What do ya say?
I'd be okay with that if I also got all my $ back. You know, like a tax refund. I've paid the max for a decade so I damn well better get it back. If I would have had the chance to put that money in my private 401K I'd be retired already!

Matt now I am going to tell you a little story. See these things can go both ways. While I am completely against the government telling me I need to wear my seatbelt or that airbags must be mandatory, it did save my life !!! A most ironic situation !

About a year and a half ago I was driving a corvette my company owns, it was about 2 AM, and I was on the Northern State Parkway heading home from a late night meeting at one of the board of director's homes. It was late, I was tired, and all I wanted to do was to get home. To make a very long story short, I was driving at about 75 mph in the left lane next to the concrete divider when the car hit a patch of black ice. The last thing I can remember is a tremendous impact. I awoke roughly 30 minutes later in an ambulance. There was little more left to the car then the frame and that was twisted quite badly. I have zero doubt in my mind that without the airbag I would not be typing right now. I have never been one to wear a seatbelt.

For every negative story there is a positive one. Now I still don't believe we should be told to wear seatbelts, as far as airbags, my position has changed a slight bit.

Matt keep in mind, like I said from the get-go, I am against 98% of all government regulation, both in the business and private sectors, but some I do feel is necessary, again like the FDA.

You know, like a tax refund. I've paid the max for a decade so I damn well better get it back. If I would have had the chance to put that money in my private 401K I'd be retired already!

Amen !!!

I don't mean to make lite of your story. I'm glad you survived. Yet I'm still opposed the government MANDATES. I read advice columns and self-help books. I read health books of various types. I'm not required to follow the advise given in these books and letters, but they are nice things to consider and apply if you think that they are good for you.

Texas requires that drivers have auto insurance. I am overly cautious when driving and have never been in an accident for which I was to blame. I tried to get away without having auto insurance (Yes - I was a scofflaw) but it didn't last long. I'm also required to have my car inspected each year and have new car tags each year. While police might not notice my lack of proof of auto insurance while they drive by, they may notice my lack of updated stickers. To have your car inspected and receive the tags and stickers, you are required to provide proof of being insured. Sheesh...the time and trouble and expense I had to put of with just to drive my car.

Matt, what happens though if and when you do have an accident and hurt someone badly, which I pray never happens ?

Medical expenses can easily run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, who is going to pay for it if you don't at least have basic liability insurance ?

I hope your answer will not involve the government !

I am very very careful when I drive. In the highly highly unlikely event that I would be at fault in an auto accident, I have some money saved. If it is not enough to pay for the damages, I also have good credit, I can receive loans. Then I have family and friends with whom I am on excellent terms. I have no doubt that they would give me a loan, if not a gift, to help me pay for my wrongdoing.

Forum List

Back