About Matthew (Okay - Let me toot my horn)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mattskramer, Apr 17, 2004.

1. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I'm a relatively easygoing individualist. I think that the only thing that I don't tolerate well is intolerance. I basically believe that people (particularly adults) should be free to do as they please as long as they don't interfere with the freedoms of others. Government should do little more than punish those who commit fraud and violence against others.

Along these lines, I support smaller government. I'm particularly opposed on "nanny-style" regulations and agencies. (FDA, OSHA, etc.) People should, in general, be free to do as they please. Yet, they must also personally accept the consequences of the decisions that they make. I support deregulation (as do many conservative). Yet, I also support the legalization of drugs, prostitution, and gambling (as do many liberals). Again, and with little exception, I think on an individualist level and believe that people should be more free than they are today.

2. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    how's that for Irony?

3. Big D

Big D Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Am I free to hire anyone I want at my company?
    Or rent to anyone I want at my apartments?

4. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Matt, I am a conservative and also am opposed to over-regulation and large government, though I do think that the two agencies you brought up are necessary. We must assure the safety of our food and medicines and set certain standards which they must meet for sale to the public. Industry self-regulation just can not be trusted when it comes to these health and safety issues !

5. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm a complete conservative when it comes to government as well. I don't think 7/8ths of the government should exist. As far as I'm concerned the only responsibility that government has is to ensure that people don't commit murder or otherwise harm people, all deaings are fair and equitable and, of course, the defense of the nation. All that other crap is sucking what's good out of this country.

6. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    I keep having this fantasy that a conservative supreme court is going to some day pass a law instantly demanding that government be reduced to it's constitutionally mandated size. My secret right wing judicial activism, heee heee.

7. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    It's come before them, in the case of U.S. v. Lopez. But they choked, the wusses. I think we're like an overbloated tick here. We simply won't disengage and shrink back down to size. Government size is a ratchet --- it only goes in one direction, and that's up. Remember ol' Ronnie Reagan, the great conservative hero? Government got BIGGER under him. We're going to explode, and new little pieces will pick up and start doing their own thing.

8. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    How is that activism? Fantasy and activism are two different things.

9. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Having dealt with both food safety and workplace safety issues both the FDA and OSHA are absolutely necessary. The FDA is our main defense against contaminated food and dangerous medicines. OSHA regulations, when followed, prevent numerous accidents and injuries (My place of work was injury free for 2 1/2 years while I was safety coordinator).

acludem

10. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Have you checked with the EEOC and made sure that your hiring practices and general racial make-up of your employees fit their standard?