A wonderful drive

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Spent a few days down in Lakeview, Oregon. Collected some sunstones;

http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/files/brochures/sunstone_rec_brochure.pdf

And drove down to Alturas, California, then went east for a drive across the Black Rock Desert, connected up with highway 140 at the Sheldon Antelope Refuge. Stopped at a collecting area, private, for black opal. Just talked to the owner for a while, didn't have time to try to do any collecting;

Royal Peacock Opal Mine - Royal Peacock Opal Mine

Then drove 140 back to Lakeview. A magnificent drive though spectacular high desert horst and graben country;

A wonderful drive for anyone that like geology and high desert country.

I have not been there since 1979, i do enjoy geology. When I was in the Vegas area I did find a few stones with crystallized minerals..

nice area , I've been to Alturas once going from Tule Lake to Alturas but we just backtracked back to Doris Cali. where we were staying . Been meaning to go to Lakeview and then to Alturas the way I think you went . Yep , its nice country , I like Alturas , its very small . I saw people fixing up the Alturas Hotel the first and only time that we were there and I think that the hotel is open for business . We got a snack at the gas station and greasy spoon and it was pretty good food for a guy like me that likes greasy junk . Checked out the one [that I saw] old large grocery store , school on the main drag and general lay of the land . Tiny little town I think .

and I guess its the NILES HOTEL rather than Alturas Hotel . I like these old hotels although I've never been in the Niles . --- Niles Hotel ---

Well, did my last ramble for this year, school starts again week after next. Drove through the back roads from the Beulah Resevoir to the Idaho border, and from Juntara to Ironside looking at the Oregon-Idaho graben. Fantastically busted up country. All volcanics, of course. Then, we went sightseeing down to Leslie Gulch. On the East side of the Owyhee Reservoir.

Very dry country, looks like it has some huge low grade gold deposits. Didn't get to the West side this year. Post more when I get a chance to look at google earth at where we were.

Forum List

Back