"A West Virginian"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by froggy, Mar 31, 2010.

1. froggy

froggy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    I ran across this and was checking to see if someone from W. Va. could confirm it.

Only a West Virginian knows the difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fit, and that you don't HAVE them, you PITCH them.
    _____
    Only a West virginian knows how many fish, greens, peas, beans, etc., make up a "mess."
    ____
    Only a West Virginian can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."
    _____
    Only a West Virginian knows exactly how long "directly" is -- as in: Going to town, be back directly.
    _____
    Even West Virginian babies know that "Gimme some sugar" is not a request for the white, granular, sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in the middle of the table.
    _____
    All West virginians know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.
    ____
    Only a West virginian knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin'!
    _____
    Only West virginians grow up knowing the difference between a "right near" and a "right far piece." They also know that "just down the road" can be one mile or 20.
    _____
    Only a West virginian knows and understands, the difference between a "redneck," and a "good ol' boy'.
    _____
    No true West Virginian would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.
    _____
    A West Virginian knows that "fixin'" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.
    _____
    Only West Virginians make friends while standing in lines. We don't do queues, we do lines, and when we're in line, we talk to ever'body!
    _____
    Put 100 West Virginians in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage.
    _____
    West Virginians never refer to one person as "ya'll."
    ____
    West Virginians knows Cornbread comes from corn and how to eat it.
    _____
    Every West Virginian knows potatoes with eggs, bacon, pork, venison, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; and that fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food
    _____
    When you hear someone say, "I was fishin down by the crick" you know you are in the presence of a West Virginian.
    _____
    Only true West Virginians say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it -- we do not like our tea unsweetened. Sweet milk means you don't want buttermilk.
    _____
    And a true West Virginians knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 mph on the freeway. You just say, "Bless her heart" and go your own way.
    _____
    To those of you who are still a little embarrassed by your West Virginian accent, take a ride on our mountain roads and say a prayer for your safety. Bless your heart!
    _____
    And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this West Virginia stuff, bless your hearts, I hear they are fixin' to have classes on Hillbilly as a second language!
    _____
    And for those who are not from West Virginia but have lived here for a long time, you'll need a sign to hang on your front porch that reads: "I ain't from West Virginia, but I got here as fast as I could!"
    Almost Heaven!!!
    And those that are from West Virginia and living away "Take me home, country Roads"
    _____
    Bless your hearts, ya'all have a blessed day!!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    :lol::lol:

Jist about any Southnuh can tell y'all whatall this means.

3. PixieStix

PixieStix Coal Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,259
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN86d0CdgHQ]YouTube - John Denver - Country Roads[/ame]

4. PixieStix

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,259
    Thanks, I am originally from West Virginia. But I don't live there now

5. PixieStix

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,259
    People from WV are not really southern

6. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    We eastern Kentucky hillbillies know all that stuff. Doesn't everyone?

That was a purty fair post

Sweet teat is popular in NC as well. I have lived there too, OH, PA, FL, OR, TX and maybe a place or two I forgot.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  7. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,339
    [​IMG]

8. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    I know a few people from Kentucky, Tennessee, southern Ohio, and Georgia who resemble most of those remarks.

9. PixieStix

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,259
    I was not born there but adopted the hillbilly twang from my parents, we moved a lot when I was young and moved to WV when I was 10. It was pretty much downhill from there :lol:

10. froggy

froggy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Downhill, but i always heard WV was the very bottom, where men were men and sheep were scared of it. EWE EWH!: Sheep Born With A Human Face - Geekologie