a victory for free speech

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eots, Jun 9, 2008.

1. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    **** !!!...****....****....**** ?? ****

cuuuunt[...wow that felt good...I love the sound of the word **** in the morning.... it sounds like...freedom

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  2. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you feel better after that disgusting display of infantile behavior?

"Look, Ma! No brains!"

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    And sure as shit, along comes a classless moron to make the case for censorship. If not for idiots like you, there wouldn't be word filters.

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,009
    So all I need do is repeat a word a bunch of times in a post like this idiot did and I can get you to censor it?

5. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you get that it was resensored?

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Did I censor HIS post? Or just comment on it?

7. Glori.B

Glori.B Born Free

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120
    i appreciate what you were trying to do sarg... like jillian said, it's odd that it even came up for debate, but if it makes reeeeal men like mister eots feel big, then by all means, it's all about the freeeedom baybeeee...

(i miss the little eye roller dude... where did he go?)

8. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    freedoms use em er lose em...I think next..i will purchase a new fire arm..then maybe assembly in public for awhile ..finish off the day petitioning the government the ....freedom baby !!!

9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,009
    Take your new firearm to a Government building and assemble it there. You can then petition to be let out of jail LOL.

10. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    the history of the c ..word

Censorship

In some contexts, '****' remained a socially acceptable word until very recently: "in rural areas [of England in the 1960s] the word was still being used as an ordinary everyday term, at least when applied to a cow's vulva" (James McDonald, 1988). However, besides this location- and usage-specific example, '****' has been the primary English language taboo for over five centuries. I have attempted to ascertain approximately when the word first became taboo, and have also documented the history of its media censorship.

The censorship of '****' is a cyclical process: initially, the word was socially acceptable, then it became taboo, and more recently it can be found with increasing regularity in both print and broadcast media. This gradual mainstream acceptance represents an erosion of the word's taboo status.

'****' was used medically by Lanfranc, who, in the early fifteenth century, wrote: "In wymmen [the] neck of [the] bladdre is schort, [and] is maad fast to the cunte" (14--). Two hundred years later, however, the '****' taboo was firmly in place: Minsheu rendered it "Cu [and] c" ('Cu etc.', 1617) and John Fletcher resorted to "They write sunt with a C, which is abominable" (1622). It is not possible to unequivocally identify the date from which '****' first became taboo, though Mark Morton (2003) provides a rough guide: "Up until the fourteenth century or so, **** appears not to have been a taboo word. [...] By the fifteenth century, however, the word **** seems to have shifted toward the taboo. [...] Near the end of the seventeenth century, the word **** was firmly ensconced in obscenity".

Southwark's 'Gropecuntelane' dates from 1230, indicating that, at that time, the word may have been bawdy but was not obscene. Similarly, the earliest example of a '****' surname is that of Godwin Clawecunte from 1066, and the latest is Bele Wydecunthe's from 1328. Lanfranc, writing one hundred years later, does not disguise the word, though Geoffrey Chaucer does.

Chaucer, in his Canterbury Tales, employs the deliberately faux-archaic spelling 'queynte' (variants: 'queynt', 'qwaynt', 'quaynte', 'queinte', 'coynte', and 'coint'; modern spelling: 'queint') as a substitute for '****'. Eric Partridge suggests that, to form 'queynte', "Chaucer may have combined Old French coing with Middle English cunte or he may have been influenced by the Old French cointe" (1931), and Mark Morton suggests a link to 'quaint', though the simplest explanation is that Chaucer added the 'nte' mediaeval suffix of '****' to the feminine 'qu' prefix. William Shakespeare's "acquaint" in his Sonnet XX (1609[a]) is a disguised reference to both 'quaint' and '****'. Andrew Marvell uses similar literary camouflage in To His Coy Mistress, with a reference to "quaint honour" (1653):

"Thy beauty shall no more be found;
    Nor, in thy marble vault, shall sound
    My echoing song: the worms shall try
    That long preserved virginity:
    And your quaint honour turn to dust;
    And into ashes all my lust".

Three hundred and fifty years later, an If... cartoon by Steve Bell also disguised '****', this time by rendering it as the faux-French "QUEURNT" (2003). Perhaps this comic example adds a new dimension to Chaucer's 'queynte', which can be seen as a similarly exoticised rendering of '****'.

The Canterbury Tales, which are full of more minor swearwords such as 'shit' and 'piss' though not the tabooed '****' (except in disguised form), were written at the very end of the fourteenth century, thus it seems that '****' was an acceptable term throughout the Middle Ages, becoming taboo during the late fourteenth century. Peter Fryer contends that "it has been avoided in written and polite spoken English since the fifteenth century" (1963). There was almost certainly a period of transition, during which the word's status gradually changed from acceptability to taboo, just as, five hundred years later, it is in transition again, from taboo to acceptability.

****: Censorship [matthewhunt.com]