A topic creator should have the option to lock their own thread

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Just today I noticed a two year old topic got revived. More often than not old ass topics get bumped by trolls and the topic creator should have the discretion to lock, not delete, but lock a topic that has clearly run its course. Or even to end one that's been overrun with nonsensical posts. Every other site I've ever visited, non political, has this option

If an old thread isn't "revived" chances are it will languish in digital la-la land in perpetuity.
As for trolling, I know it's wrong, but it's fun. I've paid the price for such "fun". Which isn't fun.
Nonsensical posts are often quite funny too.

Maybe you could flag such a thread and request it be locked by a mod? :dunno:

• Banned
If an old thread isn't "revived" chances are it will languish in digital la-la land in perpetuity.
As for trolling, I know it's wrong, but it's fun. I've paid the price for such "fun". Which isn't fun.

Today Avatars What should we do with guns thread was bumped after nearly 2 years. Just to revive an old long forgotten argument. So often the board is already cluttered with other threads, many of which get no views or responses because they drop so fast. I think the ability to close your own thread would give the community an option to police themselves, if you will, which could help clean up the boards.

Today Avatars What should we do with guns thread was bumped after nearly 2 years. Just to revive an old long forgotten argument. So often the board is already cluttered with other threads, many of which get no views or responses because they drop so fast. I think the ability to close your own thread would give the community an option to police themselves, if you will, which could help clean up the boards.

I think I get it, with the proviso that folks should then also be able to re-open their own threads. Is this what you mean?

Moderation almost ALWAYS honors an OP request to Close a thread. There are times when closing POPULAR threads has become controversial. And sometimes, issues and news events smolder and change and folks want to continue an old discussion rather than start over...

BUT -- as you say --- people also revive them for "recreational" reasons.. :D

• Banned

I think I get it, with the proviso that folks should then also be able to re-open their own threads. Is this what you mean?

Not really. I mean close them permanently. Dunno why you would want to reopen a thread you closed.
So many times, more like most, after a while threads just become poo flinging contests with very little resembling what they started out as.

Not really. I mean close them permanently. Dunno why you would want to reopen a thread you closed.
So many times, more like most, after a while threads just become poo flinging contests with very little resembling what they started out as.

I saw that thread. It's like watching a game-show from 1976.

Trust me, it shall die alone without so much as a whimper.

Just today I noticed a two year old topic got revived. More often than not old ass topics get bumped by trolls and the topic creator should have the discretion to lock, not delete, but lock a topic that has clearly run its course. Or even to end one that's been overrun with nonsensical posts. Every other site I've ever visited, non political, has this option

Fer Chrissakes, get a grip on yourself.

A.) This is the interweebs.
B.) Threads are not holy relics.
C.) Thoughts are free, and often endogen.

Now, either run with the big dogs, or go hide under the porch and whimper.

Last edited:
^^^^Worst trolling ever

i-m-with-stupid-t-shirt-white-american-apparel_design.png

Being able to lock threads should stay as a Mod power. The OP should be able to limit WHO posts though, that would be nice.

I asked a Mod to close a "Welcome New Members" rep thread I started a few years back because a few poster (who are gone now I think) started a pissing contest in it and would stop or start their own thread. Would have been nice to be able to nip it in the bud right there and just keep going.

Forum List

Back