A Question to Liberals - Does open minded = one sided?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by VeganMe, Jul 28, 2012.

1. VeganMe

VeganMe Newly vegan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi :)

I'd like to preface this post by saying that I'm new to the site. Am just getting the hang of it and so far it's pretty fun. About my politics: I am a registered Independent and am pretty "middle ground" on issues. Meaning I'm not liberal OR conservative. You can kind of mix and match with me. I think, with that being said, I have a pretty objective POV, if you want to call it that.

Now for the question: This is directed at those who side more with the political left. I apologize in advance if I accidentally offend anyone in any way (please remember that was never my intention). Just feel like I need to say that because political talk always seems to offend one person or the other. Just know that I'm not (intentionally) trying to annoy anyone. :p

So, lefties...When you ask conservative types to be more "open minded" about things in general, are you asking them to conform to your views? (Left views?) Or something else? What I'm asking you is...do you find the term "open minded" a one-sided deal? Say a righty asks you to be more "open minded" based on their conservative views. To you, does the term "open minded" still apply?

Example: Liberal person supports gay marriage. Conservative person does not. Liberal person thinks conservative is a "close-minded bigot." Now switch the circumstances. Conservative person supports pro-life. Liberal person supports pro-choice. Conservative thinks Liberal is a "close-minded hypocrite."

Do you see what I'm saying? As a liberal-minded, free-thinking person...does the term "open minded" apply to ONLY liberal views in your eyes? Or can it also apply to conservative views in a situation? Why or why not? Again, I am only (genuinely and politely) curious. :)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. bitterlyclingin

bitterlyclingin Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +449
    "Does a bear crap in the woods?"

3. BreezeWood

BreezeWood VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +475
    [​IMG]

just depends on how it's wrapped ...

4. bripat9643

bripat9643 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,448
    Liberal Dictionary:
    ========================================
    Open Minded - liberal

it's really that simple.

5. SniperFire

SniperFire Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,223
    'Liberal minded' is independence, liberty, freedom and the providence of the Republicans and Libertarians.

You really are really addressing the Progressives, who are just modern day communists. And they couldn't be more close minded or totalitarian.

6. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,066
    What Liberals do is intellectually dishonest, but "dishonest" fits better these day

7. Black_Label

Black_Label Registered Democrat

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +514
    You are a complete moron. Today's republicans are leading the charge to destroy liberty and turn the nation into a hard right fascist oligarch.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  8. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Liberals are the most tolerant and open mind people on the planet.

But, that's only if you agree with them.

Disagree with them; and they become the most hateful and bigoted people you will ever meet. :cool:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. VeganMe

VeganMe Newly vegan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    ^This has also been my experience with some people. It's kind of what got me asking this question. I wanted to know what those here thought about it, and could share in their own words.

10. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,767
    I see the quality of open-mindedness as being able to see the other side of an argument and discussing it in those terms, not as giving both sides of an argument equal weight. For example, I can discuss anything with anyone as long as they do not resort to dogmatic statements such as "the bible says no" or claim moral or intellectual superiority on the basis of unquestioning acceptance of someone else's philosophy or belief system. If someone cannot explain their beliefs in rational terms or tolerate another questioning those beliefs rationally then they may rightly be called closed minded.