A Question For The Lawyers Here

Rat in the Hat

Gold Member
Mar 31, 2010
I've been watching bits and pieces of the Casey Anthony trial, and it brought up something I've always wondered. When each witness steps up, they are asked "Do you swear or affirm your testimony is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God".

What would happen if the witness answered "No"?

I've been watching bits and pieces of the Casey Anthony trial, and it brought up something I've always wondered. When each witness steps up, they are asked "Do you swear or affirm your testimony is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God".

To which part are you asking? The truth thing or the swear to god thing?

The part about telling the truth.

The part about telling the truth.

Lying in court is a punishable offense in and of itself.

A refusal to take the oath or affirmation would be contumacious behavior, I reckon.

Contempt of Court.

Go directly into your cell. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

(That is, of course, unless what one is saying by the word "no" is that one intends not to answer any questions whatsoever upon the ground of the right to remain silent or upon any of the other testimonial privileges.)

Forum List

Back