CDZ A Proper Education

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Recently, a few friends and I discussed what a proper education should be for children to grow up into responsible, independent and productive adults. Besides the standards (reading, writing, and 'rithmatic), we came up with a few other items:

1. Civics (the design and function of our government - and the role of an individual)
2. Western Civilization (history, philosophy, principles)
3. World History (panorama of the historical development of societies around the world - important to compare and contrast with Western Civ)
4. A work ethic (showing up on time, performing required work tasks, team work)
5. Financial literacy (personal financial management)

The last one is covered quite well in this article:

A basic course that covers economics principles, sources of economic progress (such as economic freedom), public choice, and especially personal finance should be mandatory for all high school students, and should be strongly encouraged at the college level, even for those not majoring in economics or finance.

I am very passionate about this for many reasons, but the bottom line is that financial illiteracy fosters poverty and derails many life plans. Financial literacy, on the other hand, promotes wealth and hope.

Consider, for example, that entrepreneurship is a pathway for the poor to escape poverty. You don’t need a college degree to be a successful entrepreneur, but before you can begin to think about starting a business, you must have your financial ducks in a row. It is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for success.

Education in financial literacy is empowering. I have seen firsthand the excitement and change in students when they learn how they can accumulate hundreds of thousands of dollars over time by saving only $3 a day.

Students who learn about the cost of raising children as well as the power of compound interest on savings (as well as debt) will have a better understanding about the opportunity costs of their actions and may choose a different path. I realize that this is not a panacea, but it can help....

Dear Secretary DeVos, Please Prioritize Financial Literacy — The James G. Martin Center for Academic Renewal

What do you think is important to stress in education?

Logical argumentation and identification of fallacious reasoning.

Well we are merely raising worker bee tools and commodities for corporate power aggrandizement and enrichment.

In which of the two following formats do you prefer I answer?
  • An essay that integrates educational/learning theory with the types of courses that build various types of cognitive skills?
  • A list of classes?
Financial literacy (personal financial management)

A basic course that covers economics principles, sources of economic progress (such as economic freedom), public choice, and especially personal finance should be mandatory for all high school students, and should be strongly encouraged at the college level, even for those not majoring in economics or finance.

Adroitness with the techniques of personal financial management and the principles of economics are two are very different disciplines. One need not know much about how people make choices in the face of scarcity in order to analyze personal financial strategies and tactics, manage one's personal finances and make investment choices. If the latter is one's aim, studying economics will be of little use. The reverse is so as well.

• An essay that integrates educational/learning theory with the types of courses that build various types of cognitive skills?
  • A list of classes?

Adroitness with the techniques of personal financial management and the principles of economics are two are very different disciplines. One need not know much about how people make choices in the face of scarcity in order to analyze personal financial strategies and tactics, manage one's personal finances and make investment choices. If the latter is one's aim, studying economics will be of little use. The reverse is so as well.
There you go again, unnecessarily complicating a relatively simple question.
Then you attempt to confuse the topic with a bunch of crap about how this is totally different from that. What the heck is your problem? Are you trying to prove that your education was worth the high price? Or maybe you are just trying to prove you are smart? Whatever the case may be, why don't you try leaving simple things simple, and answer the f-ing question. Or don't post. Simple right?
And for the record, to have a good understanding of how to best manage one's' own finances, from a long term standpoint, one must, necessarily, understand the basics of how economies work. How else would one have the knowledge base to make wise financial decisions?

Me thinks you have confused yourself.

There you go again, unnecessarily complicating a relatively simple question.

Me thinks you have confused yourself.
It isn't I who complicated a simple question. I don't think anyone deliberately did.

My OP asks in a straightforward way a question that for the most part doesn't have a good simple answer. I would think a reasonably complete answer would take a few paragraphs, of if one is Faulknerian, one really, really long one. LOL

The complexity lay in my having to explain the nature of the simple question I asked. eflatminor made a sincere effort to answer the OP's question, and she/he did respond in a topically on-point way, even though his/her reply missed the normative context of the OP question. Because she/he has approached the discussion in a mature and thoughtful fashion, I put in the effort to, as briefly as possible yet fully, explain what the issue was. I did so out of respect and to do what I can to facilitate an interesting discussion.

I see the problem now. After re-reading your OP, I should have taken your "should" seriously. Mea culpa.

P.S.
It's ironic that your ID is "oldschool," yet the old school way of answering questions -- comprehensively -- seems, from your comment at least, to be something with which you take exception. Moreover, you have expressed the notion that someone who endeavors to do so has "something to prove." Odd.

• A list of classes?

Thank you for sharing, but it's clear that you have no point at all.

Well we are merely raising worker bee tools and commodities for corporate power aggrandizement and enrichment.

Your disdain for humanity is showing again, bub.

• A list of classes?

I'd prefer an answer that addresses my op and is presented in a spirit of goodwill and intellectual honesty.

• A list of classes?

As goes the specific question you asked in your OP, how would you know? I haven't endeavored to answer it. All I did was ask you in what format you wanted an answer.

• A list of classes?

As goes the specific question you asked in your OP, how would you know? I haven't endeavored to answer it. All I did was ask you in what format you wanted an answer.

How about in the form of a sonnet with iambic pentameter?

Seriously, I don't care about the form as long as it is written in clear English with proper reasoning, spelling, grammar and punctuation... and is responsive to the question.

• A list of classes?

How about in the form of a sonnet with iambic pentameter?

Seriously, I don't care about the form as long as it is written in clear English with proper reasoning, spelling, grammar and punctuation... and is responsive to the question.

TY.

BTW...You should't count on too much iambic pentameter. If you get some from me, well, you just do. LOL

To be succinct: We should focus more on:

- Accountability. It is not easy enough to fail and get held back. Trust me, I know lol. I even attended a pay to graduate state college.

- Problem solving techniques / theory.

- Not sure to word this....but more classes on non-Western European histories and how to negotiate or co-exist with people with opposing view points, habits or traditions. Even on here I get too snippy sometimes.

- History.

- Something is wrong with sports in schools but I don't want to take them away. Too many $$$football$$$ players get passed in local high schools and colleges. I really want state tests that can keep kids from graduating and get the teachers and principals who passed them fired.

Forum List

Back