a new mud puddle to splash around in

Seraega

Apr 5, 2009
Upstate NY
Hello. I'm moving up from a much smaller political chat forum, it just doesn't pay to discuss politics in such a small group where it's easy to anticipate every response to every issue. Hoping this place is more challenging :)

I try not to waste a lot of effort in classifying my opinions. but if I had to I'd say that in general, I like to think I'm an older model conservative, you remember... when conservatives actually stood for expanding personal freedom, not religious intolerance - and real fiscal responsibility, not just parroting lower taxes, lower taxes, lower taxes as the answer to any and all problems.

So anyway, hello to you all. I'm looking forward to jumping into some issues today.

No need to worry about classifying your opinions, we'll do that for you. :)

For starters, where do you stand on abortion, school vouchers, gay marriage, the patriot act, profiling, the second amendment, the right to privacy, the filibuster, and global warming?

No need to worry about classifying your opinions, we'll do that for you. :)

For starters, where do you stand on abortion, school vouchers, gay marriage, the patriot act, profiling, the second amendment, the right to privacy, the filibuster, and global warming?

Abortion - pro-choice, but wish the situations which lead to it could be reduced. The "plan B" pill should be available OTC to help reduce unwanted pregnancies IMO.

School Vouchers - in support of giving it a serious try.

Gay Marriage - I'm more of a civil union guy, but to each their own I suppose.

The Patriot Act - Bzzzzzt anti-freedom act is more like it. It needs to go. I believe it was Ben Franklin who said "hose who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Profiling - I'm not in favor of pulling someone over for 'driving while black', but if there are eye witnesses to a crime who provided a reasonable description there's no reason not to use the description to narrow the search.

The Second Amendment - well I used to be an avid hunter, and still have my bow and shotgun. I keep meaning to get around to picking up a pistol permit, but haven't found the time.

Right to Privacy - should be absolute, this includes future issues on net spying too. ISPs should be required to destroy their records and stop logging their customers' activity.

Filibuster - Mixed feelings. It's valuable in theory, especially in a time when the same party controls the executive and legislature.

Global Warming - I just bought a house over the winter and am currently interviewing contractors to get the house setup with rooftop wind turbines. I like the idea of taxing things you want to discourage, so a carbon tax would be nice. Similarly refundable tax credits would be nice to offset the purchase of electric cars (the Chevy Volt is expected to retail for over $40k!!!) and home improvements.

o fuck that bunch of shit...tell us the important stuff..

pot...pro or con

you...con or smart?

I'm in favor of legalization, and subsequent ridiculously high taxation of marijuana.

I'm not sure I like the implication of the question "con or smart". I'm not a neo-con like Bush/Cheney by any means, and I'm not a social conservative like Huckabee or Palin.

o hell you voted for bush didnt ya....man yall are just dancing around that shit now....but on the pot...we agree...i am for legalizing all drugs...couldnt make them any more expensive as they are now

o hell you voted for bush didnt ya....man yall are just dancing around that shit now....but on the pot...we agree...i am for legalizing all drugs...couldnt make them any more expensive as they are now
I didn't vote for Bush. 2000 was the first election I was old enough to vote in and I came out supporting Gore because at the time I was really in touch with my greener side. I do remember 2001-2002 I really came to like Bush. I got caught up in the nationalism, the "get the bad guy" attitude that was everywhere. It was only when I realized we were going to be in Iraq for a long while with Afghanistan on the sideline that I really turned around.

Forum List

Back