A modest proposal: All laws must have an expiration date

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
I've been wondering what we could do to cut down on the staggeringly huge accumulation of laws we have in this country. Some are exceedingly trivial, others have unintended consequences, and others are pretty unpopular, but laws almost never get repealed.

What if we had an unrepealable law (Constitutional amendment maybe? Those are VERY seldom repealed, and it takes a huge effort) that said that:

1.) All laws that are enacted, have a two-year expiration date (aka sunset date) than cannot be eliminated or changed. If Congress really likes the law, they have to renew it every two years, or it's gone.

2.) Every law must be renewed separately. Congress can't just pass something that says, "All the laws passed in 2013, are hereby renewed for another two years." It has to bring each law up individually, discuss it, vote on its renewal, and pass the renewal.

This would keep Congress busy enough with renewals, that they would have to constantly decide which laws they REALLY wanted to keep, and lose the ones they maybe don't want so much. And if they want to pass new laws, that will add to the renewal burden, enough that they would have to let some others fall off the table eventually.

This would keep the burden of laws we have to follow, reduced to just the important ones.

The Framers always had the idea that Americans could get along fine without a zillion laws telling them what to do. And the Fed govt was to be only a caretaker of matters that people usually didn't deal with much anyway - foreign relations, weights and measures, courts, law enforcement, resolving conflicts between states etc. - see Article 1 Sec. 8.

Maybe the time limit should be three years. Whatever it is, once set, it's the same for all laws, and cannot be altered or eliminated. That long after the date a law is enacted (or renewed), it is automatically repealed, unless it has been explicitly renewed for another equal time interval.

Laws that everybody obviously wants - laws against murder, against theft, etc., also get the same expiration date. And Congress would keep them at the top of the list of laws they want to renew, so those laws will always be with us. But maybe the requirement that we have certain size toilets with a certain water flow rate, can be handled fine by ordinary people, and so there's no real harm in letting the laws dictating such things fall off the books.

Advantages? Disadvantages? There are some of each, but I'd say we'd be a lot better off overall with such a law, than we are at present.

Of course, the leftist fanatics will say that anything that reduces the central govt's power is automatically bad. That's why they are leftist fanatics.

What do normal people say about it?

Quite a few laws have expiration dates written into them.

The Bush tax cuts, for example...

Quite a few laws have expiration dates written into them.

The Bush tax cuts, for example...
You mean the Bush corrections to the Clinton tax increases?

Good start.

And Obama renewed them, so now they are the Obama corrections.

But far too many laws don't have such sunset dates. With this Const amendment (or whatever it is), all laws will get them automatically.

Damn straight. Civil rights laws should have expired. 14th too. (-:

Why do you want civil rights laws to expire? And the 14th?

Nobody else has asked for that, except you.

Well, certain parts of the 14th need some change, but not expiration.

i like the idea of an expiration date. 2 years might not be workable but its a good concept. But of course this will never happen because both sides exist primarily to forct their will on everyone else for as long a spossible.

i like the idea of an expiration date. 2 years might not be workable but its a good concept. But of course this will never happen because both sides exist primarily to forct their will on everyone else for as long a spossible.

Maybe the time limit should be three years. Whatever it is, once set, it's the same for all laws, and cannot be altered or eliminated.

Keep in mind that, the longer the time is, the more laws we'll have... and more laws we don't need, will be on the books.

No, it's an excellent idea. If the law is that good, it will be renewed, as the bush tax cuts were. If the law sucks, it will sunset, like the Assault Weapons Ban. Maybe 5 years to gauge effectiveness.

No, it's an excellent idea. If the law is that good, it will be renewed, as the bush tax cuts were. If the law sucks, it will sunset, like the Assault Weapons Ban. Maybe 5 years to gauge effectiveness.

If a law hasn't shown effectiveness in 2 years, they we can probably do without it.

Or if Congress thinks it's a late bloomer that will eventually do something good, they can renew it.

bendog said that Civil Rights laws should have expired.

I asked him why he thought they should.

I believe that if Congress thinks the Civil Rights laws are important enough, then they will renew them on time. So the problem never occurs.

Laws less important than Civil Rights laws, might be allowed to expire, if Congress believes they are unnecessary enough. Why is that a problem?

I believe that if Congress thinks the Civil Rights laws are important enough, then they will renew them on time. So the problem never occurs.

Laws less important than Civil Rights laws, might be allowed to expire, if Congress believes they are unnecessary enough. Why is that a problem?

So you favor laws expiring no matter What? So how many laws and law renewals does that mean congress would have to deal with in any given year?

Currently congress can repeal any law (as long as it is not in the Constitution) if they want to and feel it is unnecessary. What's the problem with that?

Last edited:

So you favor laws expiring no matter What? So how many laws and law renewals does that mean congress would have to deal with in any given year?

Currently congress can repeal any law (as long as it is not in the Constitution) if they want to and feel it is unnecessary. What's the problem with that?

If a law is not important enough to renew, then it doesn't need to exist. God forbid Congress had to miss a vacation or two.

A modest proposal: All laws must have an expiration date

I've been wondering what we could do to cut down on the staggeringly huge accumulation of laws we have in this country. Some are exceedingly trivial, others have unintended consequences, and others are pretty unpopular, but laws almost never get repealed.

What if we had an unrepealable law (Constitutional amendment maybe? Those are VERY seldom repealed, and it takes a huge effort)

What if we just eat the children of anyone who votes for a law that ends up not working?

So you favor laws expiring no matter What?
Please read what I wrote, not what you wish I'd written.

So how many laws and law renewals does that mean congress would have to deal with in any given year?
As many as Congress thinks are worth dealing with, thanks for asking.

See the OP.

What if we had an unrepealable law (Constitutional amendment maybe? Those are VERY seldom repealed, and it takes a huge effort) that said that:

1.) All laws that are enacted, have a two-year expiration date (aka sunset date) than cannot be eliminated or changed. If Congress really likes the law, they have to renew it every two years, or it's gone.

2.) Every law must be renewed separately. Congress can't just pass something that says, "All the laws passed in 2013, are hereby renewed for another two years." It has to bring each law up individually, discuss it, vote on its renewal, and pass the renewal.

This would keep Congress busy enough with renewals, that they would have to constantly decide which laws they REALLY wanted to keep, and lose the ones they maybe don't want so much. And if they want to pass new laws, that will add to the renewal burden, enough that they would have to let some others fall off the table eventually.

This would keep the burden of laws we have to follow, reduced to just the important ones.

The Framers always had the idea that Americans could get along fine without a zillion laws telling them what to do. And the Fed govt was to be only a caretaker of matters that people usually didn't deal with much anyway - foreign relations, weights and measures, courts, law enforcement, resolving conflicts between states etc. - see Article 1 Sec. 8.

Maybe the time limit should be three years. Whatever it is, once set, it's the same for all laws, and cannot be altered or eliminated. That long after the date a law is enacted (or renewed), it is automatically repealed, unless it has been explicitly renewed for another equal time interval.

Laws that everybody obviously wants - laws against murder, against theft, etc., also get the same expiration date. And Congress would keep them at the top of the list of laws they want to renew, so those laws will always be with us. But maybe the requirement that we have certain size toilets with a certain water flow rate, can be handled fine by ordinary people, and so there's no real harm in letting the laws dictating such things fall off the books.

Advantages? Disadvantages? There are some of each, but I'd say we'd be a lot better off overall with such a law, than we are at present.

Of course, the leftist fanatics will say that anything that reduces the central govt's power is automatically bad. That's why they are leftist fanatics.

What do normal people say about it?

If the only choice is renew or allow expiration, then I would tend to think that idea is too simplistic. If it were renew, allow to expire or revise, then I'd more likely be onboard.

If the only choice is renew or allow expiration, then I would tend to think that idea is too simplistic. If it were renew, allow to expire or revise, then I'd more likely be onboard.

A reasonable point.

OK, the Constitutional amendment now says that to keep a law, Congress must either renew it, or revise it. If they do neither of those things, the law automatically expires two years after it was passed (or last renewed/revised). And, of course, if part of a law repeals another law, that part has no automatic expiration date.

This will cause Congress to decide which laws are important enough to keep, and which are unimportant enough to let expire.

And if Congress spends part of its time writing a bunch of new laws it really feels we need, then other laws will probably expire as a result, since they have only so much time.

The Framers, after all, felt that the country could do just fine with a minimum number of laws. That the American people didn't need government directing evey step they took and every turn they made. That only a few relatively important things should be controlled from the seat of the central government.

This will help achieve that goal, much better than the present scheme.

It would make sense. If something is working and reasonable, vote to keep it before it expires. If not, let it go and I would go as far to make it easier to repeal stupid laws. It seems like once they are passed, they are forever even when they defy common sense.

They should have added a 2 year expiration to Obamacare. It would be history now since only a minority still support it.

Bush's tax cuts were reasonable. We shouldn't pay as much as we do.

Forum List

Back