A fetus is not alive? Waaah?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
I'm not going to name names but I recently saw another poster make one the most dumbfounding statements I've ever seen posted on a messageboard. And it inspired this thread. The comment in question was that abortion doesn't kill a fetus because a fetus isn't alive. Yes, you heard that correct. I repeat, abortion doesn't kill a fetus because a fetus isn't alive. :eusa_eh:

So then I wonder, am I missing something? Because honestly, I can't imagine how anyone without seriously diminished intellectual capacity could actually believe that a normal, healthy fetus isn't alive. For the record, I am pro-choice. But I am certainly not capable of the mental gymnastics required to fool myself into believing that abortion isn't killing a fetus. That's simply absurd.

What do you make of this?

I think the issue is less "is the fetus alive" (because, of course it's alive). but we terminate life all the time for various reasons. so the real issue is ... is this the type of life that people should make their own moral judgments about terminating?

but i am wondering why you seem to be obsessing about reproductive choice right now.

• Banned
I think the issue is less "is the fetus alive" (because, of course it's alive). but we terminate life all the time for various reasons. so the real issue is ... is this the type of life that people should make their own moral judgments about terminating?

but i am wondering why you seem to be obsessing about reproductive choice right now.

Ok. so we agree, the statement in question was absurd.

And I'm not obsessed with reproductive choice at all. As always, I'm obsessed with exposing abject stupidity and/or hypocrisy. I can't control where it will surface or with what frequency.

:lol:

A fetus is not alive in the same sense as a living, breathing person...it is alive in the same sense as a sperm, or a finger, or a toe...though it does have greater potential to become a living, breathing human than the other three do...as of now, anyway.

A fetus is not alive in the same sense as a living, breathing person...it is alive in the same sense as a sperm, or a finger, or a toe...though it does have greater potential to become a living, breathing human than the other three do...as of now, anyway.

I agree....

Does Mani disagree with that conclusion?

And I'm not obsessed with reproductive choice at all. As always, I'm obsessed with exposing abject stupidity and/or hypocrisy. I can't control where it will surface or with what frequency.

Well, not having seen the comment you're referring to, I'm afraid I can't address the context.

• Banned

I agree....

I do not.

And that is also not consistent with the dumbfounding statement in question either...is it?

• Banned
Can you quote this statement, manipoo?

I've elected not to make it personal, out of respect for the individual who posted it. So you'll just have to take my word for it (or not) that it was as I stated in the OP.

Well, not having seen the comment you're referring to, I'm afraid I can't address the context.

Fine. Here is the exact quote.

...he uses the word kill to describe abortion and I feel that is not the proper term as you can't kill something that isn't alive.

Uh, no. A baby's heart starts beating at 5 weeks. I believe the one day medical science will progress to the point where the fetus can be removed at 5 weeks and put in an incubator of some sort.

...he uses the word kill to describe abortion and I feel that is not the proper term as you can't kill something that isn't alive.
Where's the inconsistency?

Uh, no. A baby's heart starts beating at 5 weeks. I believe the one day medical science will progress to the point where the fetus can be removed at 5 weeks and put in an incubator of some sort.
Does that mean you believe that before 5 weeks it isn't alive?

Does that mean you believe that before 5 weeks it isn't alive?

Uh, no. Read more here:

Fetal development: What happens during the first trimester? - MayoClinic.com

Where's the inconsistency?

Between the exact quote and my paraphrasing of same comment in the OP, there isn't one. Thanks for noticing.

I agree....

I do not.

And that is also not consistent with the dumbfounding statement in question either...is it?
This is what I was asking you about.

Forum List

Back