A Chat Between Obama and Ryan…

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
A Chat Between Obama and Ryan…

Paul Ryan:

I serve as the ranking member of the Budget Committee, so I want to talk a little budget, if you don’t mind. The spending bills that you have signed into law, the domestic and discretionary spending has been increased by 84 percent. You now want to freeze spending at this elevated level beginning next year. This means that total spending in your budget would grow at three hundredths of 1 percent less than otherwise. I would simply submit that we could do more and start now.

Obama responded directly:

I want to just push back a little bit on the underlying premise, about us increasing spending by 84 percent. Now, look, I talked to Peter Orszag right before I came here, because I suspected I’d be hearing this—I’d be hearing this argument. The fact of the matter is that most of the increases in this year’s budget, this past year’s budget, were not as a consequence of policies that we initiated, but instead were built in as a consequence of the automatic stabilizers that kick in because of this enormous recession. So the increase in the budget for this past year was actually predicted before I was even sworn into office and had initiated any policies.

Obama went on to claim that anyone who had occupied the White House “would have seen those same increases” and that “a lot of these things happened automatically.”

He was wrong. Ryan gently corrected the president.“

I would simply say that automatic stabilizer spending is mandatory spending. The discretionary spending, the bills that Congress signs—that you sign into law—that has increased 84 percent. So .  .  .”

Obama, having been bested, moved quickly to end the exchange. “We’ll have a—we’ll have a longer debate on the budget numbers there, all right?”

Man with a Plan | The Weekly Standard

Having been corrected and shown he was wrong, Obama just ended the conversation.

Notice how he tried to deflect early on and said that the increases whould have happened to anyone because of the terrible recession and predicted before he was even sworn in... in other words...Bush's fault!

I sure would like to see a debate between these two! Hope Ryan schools Romney well!

It's sort of sad that after 3.5 years in office, Obama is still less qualified to be President than the Republican VP nominee.:lol:

Representative Ryan is usually the smartest man in the room. With Obama pigeon-toeing into the room, things will not change.

Another chat:

A month later the two men went at it again at the White House’s Health Care Summit at Blair House.

Ryan challenged the Obama administration’s claim that the Democrats’ health care proposal would reduce the deficit.

“This bill does not control costs,” he said. “This bill does not reduce deficits. Instead this bill adds a new health care entitlement at a time when we have no idea how to pay for the entitlements we already have.”

Ryan argued that the Congressional Budget Office, which scored the bill, could only judge what is put in front of it. “And what has been placed in front of them is a bill that is full of gimmicks and smoke and mirrors.

Now, what do I mean when I say that? Well, first off, the bill has 10 years
of tax increases, about half a trillion dollars, with 10 years of Medicare cuts, about half a trillion dollars, to pay for 6 years of spending.
Now, what’s the true 10-year cost of this bill in 10 years? That’s $2.3 trillion.”

“There really is a difference between us,” Ryan said. “And it’s basically this: We don’t think the government should be in control of all of this. We want people to be in control. And that, at the end of the day, is the big difference.”

Obama glared at Ryan throughout his remarks and didn’t answer Ryan’s specific challenges, saying he didn’t “want to get too bogged down,” before changing the subject.

He just glared. Need I say more?
Man with a Plan | The Weekly Standard

Last edited:
I read that the President (personally) does not "like" Mitt.

I suspect that he has similar feelings toward Ryan.

The President's notoriously thin skin is gonna make him crazy this time around. And it will show.

Good.

Last edited:
I rad that the President (personally) does not "like" Mitt.

I suspect that he has similar feelings toward Ryan.

The President's notoriously thin skin is gonna make him crazy this time around. And it will show.

Good.

Obama was always flashing his winning smile in '08, and now he always seems to be frowning...he's not as handsome when he's so grumpy.:D

Democratic strategist Joe Trippi says, “A lot of Democrats I talk to would be doing somer-saults if Romney picked Ryan. I think he is a dangerous pick.

And I mean that in both ways. He would help us as Democrats make this more a contest about different visions, rather than just a referendum on Obama.

But he is good and he is bold. If Mitt Romney actually campaigned on bold proposals to solve these big problems he’d be a much tougher candidate

The case for Ryan is simple: No one, with the possible exception of Marco Rubio, would do more to energize the conservative base and unite the party. Rush Limbaugh would praise the pick, but so would David Brooks and nearly everyone in between.

“The response would be overwhelmingly positive,” says Ed Feulner, president of the Heritage Foundation and a longtime leader of the conservative ovement. “Overwhelmingly positive. He’s one of us.” Representative Nunes agrees.

“If Romney picked him—for conservatives it would be the best pick because it would signify a commitment to solving the long-term fundamental problems of the country.”

Forum List

Back