A beautiful sight. Wind turbines....

• Banned
Solar and geothermal (varying by region obviously) are much more feasible and cost-efficient, environment-friendly and sustainable than wind turbines.

Solar sucks just like these stupid wind turbines.

There is only a narrow band in the SW of the US where it comes even close to being economical to use solar. Every place else it is a waste. Even her in Florida "The Sunshine State" it is not economical to generate electricity. Hell, we just had almost three solid weeks of overcast sky.

Tower crew I use regularly has found a new opportunity.

Removing defunct windmills.

They charge big bucks to dismantle them and haul them away.

Then they modify them slightly and re-sell them as cell phone towers. The get paid:

1. To remove the windmills.
2. Custom modify the pylons.
3. Sell the modified pylons.
4. Assemble them on a new site

A huge number of windmills are being removed. Primarily because the generating equipment is obsolete - manufacturers long out of business but, in addition, because when they are being replaced (not all are) the existing pylons are not tall enough to accommodate the longer blades of the higher output replacements.

Solar and geothermal (varying by region obviously) are much more feasible and cost-efficient, environment-friendly and sustainable than wind turbines.

There is only a narrow band in the SW of the US where it comes even close to being economical to use solar. Every place else it is a waste. Even her in Florida "The Sunshine State" it is not economical to generate electricity. Hell, we just had almost three solid weeks of overcast sky.
That is overstating a fossil-fuel talking point.
I'm installing panels next year that will pay for themselves in less than 5, plus tax benefits in my state. Our well pump runs on some already. (on/off grid)

So you figure CA, AZ, NM, TX, OK, KS, UT, WY, and NV are a narrow band? All of these places have more sunshine than FL. That narrow band comprises over 25% of the lower 48.

Angelo

That is overstating a fossil-fuel talking point.
I'm installing panels next year that will pay for themselves in less than 5, plus tax benefits in my state. Our well pump runs on some already. (on/off grid)

You are lying or else you have been fed a bunch of bullshit from the company that is scamming you out of your money. Especially in a state like Arkansas. Even with filthy ass government subsidies.

If I were you I would check the assumptions that used to come up up with that ridiculous five year estimate. For instance, did you even include the cost of cleaning the damn things every year? Whacha going to do when fall comes in Arkansas and you don't see many sunshine days for several months?

The payback in high sunshine states like Arizona is generally more like 20 years. Other areas it is higher.

Solar is fine for the panels that I have on my roof to heat the enclosed pool but it sucks at generating electricty in the amount that most people need to run a typical American home. If you are off the grid and have nothing else then fine. It is just not economically viable for most Americans. Not by a long shot.

...being destroyed!

[youtube]

What do you have against wind power. The West was built with them.

Environmental Wacko's wet dream. Just like solar. It is one thing to have a low power water pump but is a terrible source of energy for the amount of electricity it reliably produces. Costly, hard to keep running, looks like shit on the landscape and destroys wildlife. It is never economical on its own without shitty government subsidies.

So you figure CA, AZ, NM, TX, OK, KS, UT, WY, and NV are a narrow band? All of these places have more sunshine than FL. That narrow band comprises over 25% of the lower 48.

You are confused about this.

Some of the states may get a lot of sunshine days but they are farther north reducing the exposure on the panels both in the summer and fall.

East Texas does not get near the sunshine as West Texas. The same for Oklahoma. The sun shines a lot more in Southern California than it does in the North.

You can cut your estimate in about half.

If these stupid solar panels were economically viable the shithass government wouldn't have to subsidize them, would they?

Solar panels are fine for providing a little more heat into a swimming pool. They are great for powering hand held calculators. For supplying electricity to your clothes dryer, refrigerator, AC and heater they suck.

...being destroyed!

[youtube]

Environmental Wacko's wet dream. Just like solar. It is one thing to have a low power water pump but is a terrible source of energy for the amount of electricity it reliably produces. Costly, hard to keep running, looks like shit on the landscape and destroys wildlife. It is never economical on its own without shitty government subsidies.

So you're against trying things until they are perfect? That must be how they first made cars, perfect the first time?

Solar panels are fine for providing a little more heat into a swimming pool.
I think it is you who are confused. Solar panels are photo-voltaic which means they collect energy from light--not heat. The area of the US which is south of the 38th parallel and west of the Mississippi R. receives much more light during the year than not. I am not disagreeing that solar is not particularly efficient, but from the pollution aspect, it is better than fossil fuels but this is not to say that fossil fuels don't have their place.

...being destroyed!

[youtube]

So you're against trying things until they are perfect? That must be how they first made cars, perfect the first time?

I am against them because the filthy ass government subsidies a bad technology.

If the government didn't subsidize them or require that you put them in (like solar in California) then I wouldn't give a shit.

Government fucks up everything.

There is a reason that these power companies put in solar and wind farms and it has nothing to do with the economic viability.

Most American energy companies get their operating and capital funds from European banks. These stupid sicko EU banks require that a company must have a certian amount of "renewable" energy before they will lend money. So companies like Duke says 'fuck it we will put in the goddamn things". It is a small price to pay for having a line of credit.

...being destroyed!

[youtube]

If the government didn't subsidize them or require that you put them in (like solar in California) then I wouldn't give a shit.

There is a reason that these power companies put in solar and wind farms and it has nothing to do with the economic viability.

Most American energy companies get their operating and capital funds from European banks. These stupid sicko EU banks require that a company must have a certian amount of "renewable" energy before they will lend money. So companies like Duke says 'fuck it we will put in the goddamn things". It is a small price to pay for having a line of credit.

Do you realize how much the government subsidizes the oil industry?

...being destroyed!

[youtube]

Do you realize how much the government subsidizes the oil industry?

You do know cheap heat for poor people are in those subsidiaries

Forum List

Back