A basic Iraq question

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Gabriella84, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    In an attempt to understand the majority of this board better, I have spent time recently perusing quite a few conservative web sites and blogs. The vast majority express little respect or admiration for the Iraqi people. Basically, these people think most Iraqis are militant Muslim terrorist sympathizers and need to blown off the face of the earth.

So...my question is:
    If we really despise the Iraqis so much, why are we expending so much money and lives to protect them against ... themselves?

If you have an opinion that does not involve the standard hackney "liberal bashing," feel free to express it.

2. kurtsprincess

kurtsprincess Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    As one of the "we" why don't you tell us why we are expending so much money and lives ..............?

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    You are either lying to us or to yourself. Which 'conservative web sites'? Perhaps suggestions from William Joyce? If you visited any of the major/widely read sites, again you are either lying or deluding yourself.

At those sites you would find not only overwhelming support for the Iraqi people, but also questions of whether the DOD is on the correct road in various ways. That little Gabby is called, nuance.

You would also find many links to organizations that support the Iraqi people-mostly begun and run by some of the very soldiers you consider 'killers.' They have seen the Iraqi people, the suffering, and instead of just talking, they have tried to do something-which is a lot more than your ilk.

4. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    a vast majority of the poster on this site think you are _____________.

i on the other hand think the iraqi peole or great...it the american liberal bullshitter that i have little respect or admiration for.

we are spending money and lives to protect them from those that wish saddam was still in power.

sorry couldn't resist the liberal bashing...it is like being gay....you know genetic...i mean no one would choose to be like this....you should be more tollerant... :smoke:

5. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Oh goody...we have permission to express our opinions!

Here are some of my opinions...I think the halls of higher education (namely colleges and universities) are bad for the youth of America. In my opinion, the government spends way too much money on welfare programs. In my opnion, not enough people in this country take personal responsibility for their actions. In my opinion, California should be cut off at the fault line and allowed to drift out to sea along with all of its inhabitants. In my opinion, children should not speak until spoken to.... I have lots more, but not enough time to express them. I didn't even use the term liberal once...oh darn, does that mean I no longer have permission to express my opinion?

6. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    :link:

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Everyone I know supports the Iraqi people. In fact, the liberation of Iraq brought a little something extra for me, as a good friend of mine, who is half-Iraqi, is now free to talk to her dad's family, or rather they're free to talk to her. My heart leapt with joy at seeing the droves of Iraqis going out to vote. You're apparently hitting the extremist sites.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Conservatives DO disagree amongst themselves as to who the real enemy is here ( ya gotta admit--it sorta blows the old "lockstep" theory ). Some say the enemy is the entire religion of Islam and others say it is only the radical interpretations by extremists that are dangerous.

Many are frustrated because they do not see the Iraqis fighting harder for their own freedom and think Americans are having to do too much. It's tough to risk showing a lot of respect for a people who are still in the process or developing a democracy after decades of living in a state of tyranny and fear yet these people DO exist and are taking great risks and losing their lives to try to create a new way of life.

I don't see a lot of hatred for the Iraqi people themselves. If anything there may be a sense of guilt after abandoning the Shi'ites to be slaughtered by the thousands after the end of the first war. There are many conservatives who simply hate Muslims----perhaps you are assuming that all conservatives are like that.

9. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    It looks like the "conservative" websites, for which you provide no links, are not indicative of the admiration and respect for the people of Iraq that is apparent in the answers to your original post.

I watch while scores of young Iraqi men stand in line to become cops knowing that they are in danger just being in that line of being attacked by extremists who want their freedoms cut off at the knees. More and more often it is Iraqi Guardsmen in danger protecting their own freedom rather than the US forces. As they begin to build a new kind of government in their area I expect there will be growing pains, however respect for the Iraqi people is not in short supply among conservatives.

It is the Liberal sites that consistently say they are not "ready" for Democracy and will be unable to govern themselves effectively, the lack of respect and understanding of the Iraqi people seems to run deep among those who think that they cannot understand Democracy rather than the other way around.

I would love to see some links to some sites that you have visited, you know the "conservative" sites. My guess is they are not even close to mainstream, if there are any at all.

In other words:

:link: :link: :link:

10. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Not surprising, since Libs think even people in the U.S. are as helpless as children, and the gov't has to come in and do it all for them. Oh, except for actual children. They are apparently mature enough for sex by the time they reach middle school. Just toss 'em a condom; they can deal with the rest all by their 12 year old selves. And if things go worng, well then the Libs' prized "no parental consent" laws will make getting that abortion easy as pie.