a 5-10% Sept. market contraction, any effect on the election?

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
We seen to be in the early stage of a shortlived dip in the market caused by an oversupply of oil. I wonder how much, if any, this will change the polling nunbers

Zero. If the market remains steady, nobody who pays attention to it is likely to want to rock the boat by voting for a populist with little understanding of... well, just about anything but his own grandeur. If the market gets volatile, it will remind market watchers that it would become a train wreck if the populist got ahold of the reins.

Zero. If the market remains steady, nobody who pays attention to it is likely to want to rock the boat by voting for a populist with little understanding of... well, just about anything but his own grandeur. If the market gets volatile, it will remind market watchers that it would become a train wreck if the populist got ahold of the reins.

At least Hillary has a good understanding of the market. She turned $1,000 into $100,000 in the cattle market futures when she was in Arkansas. And, she said she did it by reading the Wall Street Journal.
5 will get you 10 that you believe that.

At least Hillary has a good understanding of the market. She turned $1,000 into $100,000 in the cattle market futures when she was in Arkansas. And, she said she did it by reading the Wall Street Journal.
I know of other millionaires that made their fortune in the futures market, it isn't hard if everything works out fer ya....It's like gambling...I know people who have made millions doing that also....

I know of other millionaires that made their fortune in the futures market, it isn't hard if everything works out fer ya....It's like gambling...I know people who have made millions doing that also....

Hillary's broker got busted for steering the profits to her and the losses to the other investors. It is easy if your husband is the Governor.
If she was that good, why didn't she turn the $100,000 into a few million? A dumbass like you actually believes her story, read lie!

Hillary's broker got busted for steering the profits to her and the losses to the other investors. It is easy if your husband is the Governor.
If she was that good, why didn't she turn the $100,000 into a few million? A dumbass like you actually believes her story, read lie!
I know she did it dirty but I know of others that did it clean..No surprise you hate Hillary, so do I, and I lived in Arkanass during their reign...

I know that she was down that much before the market turned. If they'd called in her margin loan she'd have been screwed, but they didn't. She followed her advisor's guidance and hung in there until the market turned and got out with a profit.

And, wisely, she never tried it again. She hasn't the temperament to trade and now she knows it. It's not for the faint-hearted.

I know that she was down that much before the market turned. If they'd called in her margin loan she'd have been screwed, but they didn't. She followed her advisor's guidance and hung in there until the market turned and got out with a profit.

And, wisely, she never tried it again. She hasn't the temperament to trade and now she knows it. It's not for the faint-hearted.
She was making 100k a year...I doubt she was short 1K.....Her old man was making 25k, but had free room and board....

I know she did it dirty but I know of others that did it clean..No surprise you hate Hillary, so do I, and I lived in Arkanass during their reign...

I don't hate Hillary. it is a question of the fact that she has no morals, scruples or ethics and the only two things she wants are power and money.
I played the futures for awhile and got lucky on some airline puts. Remember Eastern Airlines? My gain was in 5 figures, but I lost my nerve and quit before I gave it back.

I was a factory Representative at FEDEX in Memphis when Clinton was Gov and quite a few of the employees either commuted or were from Arkansas. They had some stories to tell.

American voters only care about jobs and the price of gas

At this point I think the real problem is the bond market and the muni market in particular. If the muni market stops rolling over on automatic as yields elsewhere (utilities REITs and telecoms) go up as their prices go down 20-30 states will have serious problems and up to 5 will at least go into default almost immediately.

We seen to be in the early stage of a shortlived dip in the market caused by an oversupply of oil. I wonder how much, if any, this will change the polling nunbers

Most people have been struggling a long time now, there has been no real 'recovery' for them, so what has been passed off as 'improvements' won't have any noticeable effect; just because a few rich people and some speculators who have made lucky guesses claim to be doing well doesn't move polls much. Stock markets, commodity markets, etc. haven't been reflective of most peoples' existential economic realities for a very long time now.

Most people have been struggling a long time now, there has been no real 'recovery' for them, so what has been passed off as 'improvements' won't have any noticeable effect; just because a few rich people and some speculators who have made lucky guesses claim to be doing well doesn't move polls much. Stock markets, commodity markets, etc. haven't been reflective of most peoples' existential economic realities for a very long time now.

Yeah, but they do know what they pay at the pump.

They're used to low prices, and nobody I know thinks they're going to last already, so it has no effect on them; the price is still inflated relative to wages since 1973, and so is food, energy, etc., etc. It would take something more dramatic, like another 9/11, to move opinion substantially at this point.

The stock market is no reflection of the state of the economy ever, not just now.

Which is decided by the Saudis, not Washington.

Forum List

Back