97% Climate Scientists...

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Annie, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    So who are those climate scientists?

Lawrence Solomon: 75 climate scientists think humans contribute to global warming | Full Comment | National Post

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Old story.

That's 97% of the "scientists" culled from carefully screened respondents.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I hadn't seen it, but it shows just how unscientific their pronouncements are. Should give concern to the believers, but nothing will.

4. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    This is what makes folks so furious and what threatens the foundation of good science.

And I bet the 3% who answered no were either being sarcastic or were afraid of this kind of misuse being made of the survey.

5. daveman

daveman Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    It's easy to win if you stack the deck.

Of course, that makes you a cheater.

6. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,318
    Really stupid. Those 77 are the people who are actually actively publishing research in peer reviewed journals at present.

And here are some other numbers.

97% of climatologists say global warming is occurring and caused by humans

A new poll among 3,146 earth scientists found that 90 percent believe global warming is real, while 82 percent agree that human activity been a significant factor in changing mean global temperatures.

The survey, conducted among researchers listed in the American Geological Institute's Directory of Geoscience Departments*, "found that climatologists who are active in research showed the strongest consensus on the causes of global warming, with 97 percent agreeing humans play a role". The biggest doubters were petroleum geologists (47 percent) and meteorologists (64 percent). A recent poll suggests that 58 percent of Americans believe that human activity contributes to climate change.

"The petroleum geologist response is not too surprising, but the meteorologists' is very interesting," said Peter Doran, University of Illinois at Chicago associate professor of earth and environmental sciences who conducted the survey late last year with former graduate student Maggie Kendall Zimmerman. "Most members of the public think meteorologists know climate, but most of them actually study very short-term phenomenon."

7. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    You frame the questions that way there is no alternative answer, unless you think the questioner is being a dick and you want to play with him.

That does not mean they endorse the weirdos who are pushing AGW. Or that they endorse the remedies put up.

8. william the wie

william the wie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,608
    Actually I know an environmental scientist completing his MS and he is so violently anti-AGW his thesis is "Global Warming is Bogus, Climate Change is Real". He is afraid that real environmental degradation is being ignored to promote this AGW crap.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. polarbear

polarbear I eat morons

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260

What on earth is an "earth scientist". There are only 3 sciences
    1.)Mathematics
    2.)Physics
    3.)Chemistry
    All others are self professed scientists. Of the 3,146 earth...whatever I doubt that any of them actually ever have been inside the arctic circle, least of all close to the poles.
    I wonder how many of them, if polled would believe that there are entire regions of Ellesmere Island and Northern Greenland peppered with tree stumps which still have roots attached, though totally dried out. Take a wild guess why the Vikings called it "Greenland"...O.K. more precisely it was "Groenland" but I don`t have the o with the 2 dots on top on my keyboard
    How many of them would believe that the international "climate research station" closest to the pole can`t measure CO2 in the atmosphere with infrared spectroscopy, though that should be easy if CO2 absorbs IR enough "to warm the planet".
    We use (and so does everyone else) GLC (Gaschromathography) because with IR you can`t even measure the difference between 5 and 10% CO2 (a lethal concentration).
    Why would that be...You may ask. Because normal humidity a.k.a. H2O vapor absorbs IR 100 X times more than the fractional % CO2 we do have over the entire spectral region where CO2 has a few very weak absorption bands.
    How many of them would believe that a short walk from the "international climate station" there is a power plant running 6 large CAT Diesels 24/7 to also heat the "climate station".
    We blow ~ 30 tonnes/day of CO2 out the exhaust stacks. But the climatologists claim that does not matter "because the wind blows most if that away".
    Why don`t these "earth" whatever tell You that the entire region Ellesmere + Northern Greenland has always been a Low-precip region, not much difference other than temperature from the Sahara?
    Most of the snow we do get is blown in during the winter months from the polar ice cap by winds 150+klicks. I could show you "brown" Greenland pictures from 1958, no grey actually because we have only b/w pics from then.
    I posted all this in another thread here with a link to 100+ pictures I took over the years I was stationed there. If You examine these You will have no trouble making out that all the snow is always on the same mountainside, no matter which mountain you look at...because almost all is drift snow. Aside from there I lived in the Yukon. It does snow a lot there and our glaciers are doing just fine thank You...but in a low precip region where almost all snow is blown in how can you possibly relate from Sat-pics and glacier extend what the temperature trend is?
    If the sand dunes in the Sahara are on average over a few decades a little lower, would You say it does`nt "snow" enough sand because of "global warming"?
    Or try confront the "earth" whatever and "climate"...whatever with the Roman sea walls in Britain and ask what formed all that ice in such a short time that they are so high and far from today`s shores...they will have none of the mini ice age we just came out of due to unusual low solar activity...they try and tell You it was`nt the ocean level that dropped, but that the British Isles have "risen from the sea".
    Whatever, anyway a whole lot of ice has to melt before the water is again up at where it was when these walls were constructed.
    Most people have no idea what kind of b.s. they are fed by the media and "earth"... whatever...Today on CNN there is an article where one "scientist" established how global warming is forcing our Inuit population into junk food, because "of the lack of ice cover, due to global warming seal hunting is almost impossible"...
    my God, is that the first time this "Scientist" has been say in Iqaluit?"
    They had a MacDonald`s there since it has an airport and Social-workers from Ottawa and Toronto...and You will not find a single Inuit who would give You a big Mac for raw seal!...and the same goes for every Inuit community up there. Its not just junk food they eat, they also have a huge drug and alcohol problem since they get rather generous welfare checks. They are by far more interested what`s on Satellite TV than what may or may not be within easy rifle range from the living room window..and none of that has anything to do with how thick or thin the ice is!
    Everyone of these "social workers" have a degree in "Social Science" and the Inuit did just fine before these "Scientists" showed up with huge civil servant pay checks and the bars + Restaurants Ottawa built for them in these communities. Their very presence + their lifestyle ensures that they will never run out of "work"!....But CNN publishes yet another idiotic "climate change" ramification one of the "experts" fed to their news room..
    ...But then I`m not an "earth"...whatever, just a Nuts and Bolts Chemical Engineer who served with the Military in the arctic and thus should keep my mouth shut when it comes to state of the art media driven propaganda science.
    My God how much more stupid can this climate change "science" get?
    And its always the same club they hit over Your head "94% polled agree that...blah blah"
    and that is supposed to prove what?...that there are far more stupid than not quite so stupid people, sad but true, that is all You can prove with this method.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  10. mdn2000

mdn2000 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Watch out for Old Crock, he is like grandpa at Thanksgiving, someone has to feed him.